Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

First 1986 T FB set completed in all PSA 9 and 10

The first recorded complete set of all PSA 9's and 10's NQ for 1986T Football was completed with the addition of 154 Sean Landeta and 179 Mark Moseley in PSA 9 that I just received this weekend. Thanks must go out to Elitecards (Kevin), 4 sharp Corners, xpsagrader, footballcardstore, Mark FB Cards, Rose City sports and several others who provided me with a number of these cards over the past several years. Also submitted quite a few of these myself including PSA 10's of Steve Largent, John Elway, Andre Reed and Joe Montana passing leaders. In my submissions I came up with a number of the first PSA 9's on a number of cards. This task has been a long time in the making and I have a lot of admiration for those who attempt to put the set together in high grade as it is a difficult task with the green borders. My first 100 cards or so were in a lot from xpsagrader in 2004 or 2005? of all PSA 9's as I recall. Good luck to all those building this set. It's certainly not a vintage set but with the card quality of Topps in that era it was a bit of an uphill battle. It has been challenging but a lot of fun!

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on that accomplishment!!image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very cool is it registered? do you have pictures up?

congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Congratulations JonnyC, that is a really tough set to finish (just ask kevin image )

I think it still has one of the lowest percentages of PSA 10's of any of the 80's sets, even the black bordered 85.

The Largent was a pop 2 for a long long time, the Montana was a pop 3 or 4 until recently, Jerry Rice RC, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, alot of toughies in that set

Here are a few of my favorites

• Options
    jonnycjonnyc Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Thanks for the kind comments!

I know Kevin is just collecting 10s but if there is ever a complete set of 10s it won't be for several years if ever IMO. He really has an uphill climb. I'm amazed that he has as many as he does. Same with JSJD.

I don't have any pics up as I have not taken the time to do so.

Here is the registry link. JSJD doesn't make their set public but a little research indicates they have most likely a few 8s yet.

#2 registry set 86T FB
  • Options
    Unbelieveable! Wow! Tremendous! Those are the first three words that came to mind! Truly a TOUGH set to put together in top grade! Congrats my man!
    Paul
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great accomplishment on a tough set!
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Nice.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    this is a great feat. i wish i had the patience.

congratulations... image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Jon! Nice accomplishment!

Mark
  • Options
    Way to go! And its FOOTBALL!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats on an awesome set!! Nice Montana and Rice!!!!image
  • Options
    Hi Jon
    NICE JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's great to see that you finished your 86 set!!! I know its been a long journey, but you made it to the finish line.. Congrats... It's always been a pleasure working with you !!
    Keep in touch....
    Your fellow 86 Topps FB collector

Kevin Roberson Elitecards
    Always buying 1986 Topps Football PSA 10's and BGS 9.5 even commons! Top dollars paid!!
  • Options
    Congrats Jon. People don't realize what I tough set 86 is. I'm building the 85 set and hope to be at 100% soon.
    Again, congrats and a huge accomplishmentimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    jonnycjonnyc Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for all your comments!

Frank I hope you are successful in your 85T quest. I'm a little over half completed and that one seems to be graded just as tough as the 86 set.

Kevin I'm really in awe of how many 10s you have come up with. Good luck on finishing it someday.

I hope this inspires others to collect this set. It is getting a little easier to find 9s out there of some of the lower pop cards. If anyone would like, I have about 50 PSA 9s that I would be willing to sell reasonably. If anyone would like a listing of them, please send a PM. Also have quite a few 8s and a few 8.5s.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Nice work on this set. I love this set, I am definately jealous as hell right now!

Congrats Again.

Matt