Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Guess the grade: Britain 1872 gold sovereign!

Hello again to everybody. Can you guess the grade of this coin. It was recently cracked from its holder...

Comments

• Options
    No I can't.
    The photo was a bit large and was dark..........seems to be a nice coin to me.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No I can't.
    The photo was a bit large and was dark..........seems to be a nice coin to me. >>

image on both counts!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I agree that the pics are too large, but you deserve some useful commentary:

That obverse is struck from an old die, replete with die cracks and poor detail strikeup on Vick. It looks as though there are some contact/friction. It does NOT have some of the usual wear pattern where we see more contact on the field of the obverse inside the rim & lettering that is seen so often in EF and AU pieces with the reverse quite decent.I think the technical grade may be higher the market.

Would I venture a grade? Well, methinks I would give it the "devil's grade" MS 61 so it could be argued...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my comments would not be helpful based on the images... I apologize but I would rather more comfortable with a better image before I offer an opinion that could drastically change if I saw the coin in hand

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.