Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Roosie folks. Please help! Confirmed FS-502

What does the mint mark look like on a 46 S/S/S/S. Also I understand this is also a double die coin. Where is the doubling? Possibly on the left side of the torch?

My weak eyes see something but I am not sure what it is even with 15 power magnification.

EDIT to Add: Nick has looked at the coin also and confirms that it is a FS-502 RPM and DDR. LDS in his opinion which I certainly trust. Guess PCGS will get somemore of my money.

Thanks Much.
Ken

Comments

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    According to Cherrypickers:
    The doubled die is most evident on "AMERICA", the right branch, the leaves, "UNUM", and "DIME". The RPM is quadrupled, with the remnants of the three secondary "S" mintmarks north of the primary.

V/R

Sumdunce
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Here you go...
    I forgot how to post it on the page, so its down below.

Dan
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

There are 2 common varieties for this date. The S/S/S/S is like Dan's pic and shows a repunched S
    north of the primary S with slight doubling on America. The second one has what looks more like
    a die chip protruding from the bottom loop of the primary S with doubling most notable on the torch
    flam tips.

Hope this helps.
    Nick
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the help. My eyes just see things but cannot see them clearly.

The mint mark is different than the type Dan posted. Here is a picture and maybe one of you can tell what this is. If not I would like to send the coin to someone that has better eyes than me for their opinion.

One last thing. If it is a S/S/S/S is it worth getting slabbed? The coin is 65 I would think with a shot at a point higher.

Thanks Again.
    Ken

imageimage
  • Options
    Can you get an image of "NUM" and the right leaves? Also, scan the mintmark from a different angle to alter the light source please.

I am trying to discern if this is the FS-501 or the FS-503 as listed in Cherrypickers as both have the upper portion of mintmark above the "S".

If there is doubling on the "NUM" (most notable on the "M") then it would be the FS-501 and worth slabing based on Cherrypickers' prices MS65=$100.00 and MS66=150.00.

The FS-503 is MS65=$35.00 and MS66=$50.00.

V/R

Sumdunce

• Options
    Based on your scans I do not see a 501. Not seeing a 502 either but hard to tell at that angle.
    Maybe a 503, and that one would be the more valuable of the 3 because none have been slabbed.

Ken, If you want send me the coin and I'll let you know if it's one of the 3 possible RPM's.

Nick
  • Options

<< <i>Can you get an image of "NUM" and the right leaves? Also, scan the mintmark from a different angle to alter the light source please.

I am trying to discern if this is the FS-501 or the FS-503 as listed in Cherrypickers as both have the upper portion of mintmark above the "S".

If there is doubling on the "NUM" (most notable on the "M") then it would be the FS-501 and worth slabing based on Cherrypickers' prices MS65=$100.00 and MS66=150.00.

The FS-503 is MS65=$35.00 and MS66=$50.00.

V/R

Sumdunce >>

If 501 has the doubling to the right on the leaves I do not think this is the one. I see no doubling at all to the right. It appears to have light doubling on the left side and up on the torch. The tone is realing goofing up the pictures. Here is another one for what its worth.

Ken
  • Options
    Not the best of pictures, but I'm going to guess DDR-002.
    Don't want you to think I'm positive about this, so send it to Nick to be sure. image
    And don't forget to post it on here when you find out, don't leave us hanging, thats a $40.00 fine from the Roosie Police..
    Dan
  • Options
    Leaning to 503 based on scan and your information.

Send it to Nick just to be sure.

Also, did not realize that the 503 is currently not slabbed.

Nice find there.

S
  • Options
    Ken, Definitely a 502. The 503 does not have any doubling and your flame tips are doubled. I looked at my 502
    and your last pic match's perfectly. Most of this variety are also FB. The 502 is the most common of the 3 and
    not worth sending in below a MS64 grade.

Nick
  • Options
    Nick I will send it to you for a opinion. Please do not laugh at me if I am seeing things. I think not though.

I have your address from our deal the other day. Probably will get it into the mail thursday. The PO will be hard to hit before then.

Thanks Much Guys.

Ken
  • Options
    Shame on me DDR-002, right coin, just not the FS-502 number PCGS uses for this coin. image
    Dan
  • Options
    TTT with Nicks opinion in first post.

Ken
  • Options
    I thought so...image
    Dan