Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HEY! I JUST MADE a 1962-D 25c in MS67...PIX ADDED!

Comments

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Bushmaster - Let me chime in. You suck! And congrats, it's finds like this that help make the hunt so fun.

Leo - The only coins I can think of that you have actually liked are the ones you own.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I meant to add, it seems that it would put the other MS-67 to shame as far as eye-appeal goes.

Check it out here: Top Washington Registry Set >>

A 3 quality coin verus a possible 4 quality coin, it'll be interesting if he makes the lateral upgrade!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Hey Bushmaster, when does the auction start? End?
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    congrats!

as for this coin selling for 15K... i do not think it will either.
    please update the thread with the hammer price when sold so we
    can all find out. it is not the type of coin i track pricing on.

I can see thousands.. but 10K+? nope.. not in this moment in time.

i may have to eat my hat though.
  • Options
    PawPaul, You are indeed Naive. As I was simply viewing HA's previous auctions for comparing and contrasting. As there were no other PCGS 62-d's that have sold in that grade. I know that is a Top pop with only 2 graded in 67 by PCGS. So I was comparing the past auctions in trying to determine a current value. I know comparing NGC Top Pop Washingtons to PCGS is like comparing apples to oranges. I just found it interesting that there would be a $14,200 difference in the two services. image

I wasn't implying that this example would be worth around $800. As I find it to be a magnificent quarter with superior eye appeal! But I'm not saying its worth $15,000 either.
    Different strokes for different folks
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    o.k PC , i will be naive if you say so ;

since your certain you could be way off..........

if you read the posts -you would see the coin is going up @ Teletrade ,

you would naively go to their website, search for the coin , and then even (without anyone posting it for you) view the price realized .

You fellers that imply current market conditions or the state of the economy might influence the hammer price on this piece are misguided .

The buyer of this coin will have very deep pockets - the Registry ego thing has drawn multi-millionaires into the game who could give a rat's ass if the DOW went belly up .

There are a few of them foaming @ the mouth to acquire this coin and they will bid ferociously to get it .

anyone that thinks this thing won't bring top dollar hasn't got a good handle on reality

( in fact -it probably won't sell ;it will get bought back and will sell privately to some doctor or lawyer for 20 grand )
  • Options
    If it doesn't sell. You can buy it for a deal at $20,000! image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Is this coin supposed to be in today's/ Sunday 10/26/08, Teletrade Auction?

If so - unless I'm suddenly totally blind, it's NOT showing!
  • Options
    Disregard previous post! My misunderstanding.

I've re-read the thread & see that it goes TOMORROW night!image
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    fc,

you win the cigar !
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Great score,gorgeous quarter,so why am i crazy for spending that on an 04-O Morgan in 67?imageimage
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    $13 K so far, well past my max bid
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

Just got on line after a nice weekend of fishing and I see this post... no question one of the nicest Washington's out there and a very tough date. Congrats and good luck in the auction. (I no longer have my Washington registry set or I might be tempted to bid!!!)

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, you truly suck ..........

i would guess that coin would bring over 15,000$ - but why let Teletrade take a big chunk of that ? >>

I don't believe this coin is worth nearly $15,000. I could see it going for a few Grand to a Registry guru, but 15 grand! image >>

IT BROUGHT 14,000.00 ROOKIE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

i would guess that coin would bring over 15,000$ - but why let Teletrade take a big chunk of that ? >>

I don't believe this coin is worth nearly $15,000. I could see it going for a few Grand to a Registry guru, but 15 grand! image >>

IT BROUGHT 14,000.00 ROOKIE >>

Good for the seller........as for the bidder....I will keep my comments to myself image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

IT BROUGHT 14,000.00 ROOKIE >>

Good for the seller........as for the bidder....I will keep my comments to myself image >>

You forgot...good for Teletrade image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    well i will be darned. people are dumber then i thought.
    the coin sat in a 2x2 and was worth X.
    wrap it in plastic and now it is worth X times ???.

trying to be a advanced collector.. priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>well i will be darned. people are dumber then i thought.

trying to be a advanced collector.. priceless. >>

Not sure why you are surprised.

Take a house, let's say a mansion (something 4-5000+ SQFT) from Wisconsin or Kansas or South Dakota, etc, that sits on acres of land....maybe sells for $150k to $300k.
    Put that same house on a supersmall lot in San Diego or LA or San Fran.....you now have a $Million+ house.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

Take a house, let's say a mansion (something 4-5000+ SQFT) from Wisconsin or Kansas or South Dakota, etc, that sits on acres of land....maybe sells for $150k to $300k.
    Put that same house on a supersmall lot in San Diego or LA or San Fran.....you now have a $Million+ house. >>

That is an not a good example due to the economic differences of the
    regions.

The coin bought in a 2X2 was available for sale to many many coin collectors
    until one smart enough to realize that it was high grade and people
    do some really dumb things for low pop coins in plastic. Many people had
    the chance to buy it on equal terms.

congrats to the OP!! that cash will allow you to buy a REAL coin.
    not some modern crap condition rarity with tons right below in the
    next grade.
    :-D
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    I could very well be wrong but that coin sat at 13K all day long. I'm guessing two bidders. One at 13.5 and the other at 14+
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Put that same house on a supersmall lot in San Diego or LA or San Fran.....you now have a $Million+ house. >>

That is an not a good example due to the economic differences of the
    regions.

The coin bought in a 2X2 was available for sale to many many coin collectors
    until one smart enough to realize that it was high grade and people
    do some really dumb things for low pop coins in plastic. Many people had
    the chance to buy it on equal terms.

congrats to the OP!! that cash will allow you to buy a REAL coin.
    next grade.
    :-D >>

I disagree and know about the regionalization and such.
    Sitting in a 2x2 doesn't mean EVERYONE sees it.

I think both items (price on the coin and price of some of the market in CA) are stupid, but people pay them. I just don't go out of my way to badmouth them image

• Options
    The way I see it, congratulations is in order for Greg's good fortune.

IF the coin really did sell for this amount - well, I suppose

congratulations would also be in order for the person that
    wanted it badly enough to spend this amount. image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to bushmaster are in order (and to TT who maxed out Bushmaster's value for him)! I did not want to comment on the potential value of the coin until the auction was over. Comps would have suggested a value to me of about $8,000 - $9,000 (ex: 1961-P pop 2). Bushmaster did great and so did David Poole who has a super blast white coin that is probably worth a whole lot more now as a pop 2 than one might has expected. And, this was a shot in the arm for the silver Wash quarter series as well. If pop 2 coins are now worth $14,000 - $16,000, then the pop 1's are solidly $20,000 - $25,000/coin at this point. Great to see for the Washington quarters!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    These top pop coins are worth whatever a collector/investor is willing to pay for them. If there was no registry program the price would be vastly different. So you can see how collecting the best quality coins has changed since the registry was created, It caused the value of these specific coins to sky rocket!!!! image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options

<< <i>I could very well be wrong but that coin sat at 13K all day long. I'm guessing two bidders. One at 13.5 and the other at 14+ >>

Elementary, my dear Watson. The reserve was indeed 13K.

<< <i> congrats to the OP!! that cash will allow you to buy a REAL coin.
    next grade.

I disagree that this is not a "real" coin, and that is the reason I put up such a ballsy reserve. In my mind, the fact that this is only the 2nd coin made in 22 years, makes the odds pretty good that we wont see more any time soon, if ever.

And the "tons" of MS66's "right below it"? Well, given the price jump, you know that any of that group that are high end have been tried and retried ad nasuem.

So I was not uncomfortable placing a large reserve, knowing that it was very possible that I may well win the coin back. It's a coin I would not mind at all having in my box of 20!

But I also knew that the eye-appeal of the coin was such that someone might well step up to the plate.

Thanks again for all the kudos from everybody.

And for those enquiring minds, I paid $8 for the coin. image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt party too hard until the check is in my hand.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And for those enquiring minds, I paid $8 for the coin. image >>

Well I guess that deserves a

YOU SUCK!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    All due to someone at PCGS making a decision on the grade. That's crazy stuff but congrats Busher.imageimageimage
  • Options
    I disagree that this is not a "real" coin

first of all, i am very happy for you. You made a killing! congrats again.

i still think it is odd that a coin can sell for 8 bucks one week and the next
    14000. i rest my case. it was not a "Real Coin" until it was blessed by you
    know who ;-)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I could very well be wrong but that coin sat at 13K all day long. I'm guessing two bidders. One at 13.5 and the other at 14+ >>

Elementary, my dear Watson. The reserve was indeed 13K.

<< <i> congrats to the OP!! that cash will allow you to buy a REAL coin.
    next grade.

I disagree that this is not a "real" coin, and that is the reason I put up such a ballsy reserve. In my mind, the fact that this is only the 2nd coin made in 22 years, makes the odds pretty good that we wont see more any time soon, if ever.

And the "tons" of MS66's "right below it"? Well, given the price jump, you know that any of that group that are high end have been tried and retried ad nasuem.

So I was not uncomfortable placing a large reserve, knowing that it was very possible that I may well win the coin back. It's a coin I would not mind at all having in my box of 20!

But I also knew that the eye-appeal of the coin was such that someone might well step up to the plate.

Thanks again for all the kudos from everybody.

And for those enquiring minds, I paid $8 for the coin. image >>

• Options
    The coin is only worth what some collector is willing to pay for it!

Obviously such a collector would have to be a "Professional" in the real world,
    (such as a Doctor, Attorney at Law, CPA etc) - that has the type job that in no
    way is jeopardized by today's Economic woes because of his or her Profession!

Personally, I would NOT pay such a figure for this coin and here is "Why."

There, IMHO, is little to NO chance of anyone "flipping" the coin for more than
    $14,000 plus "Juice" - $16,100 LESS SEELER'S FEES!
    As such, I cannot see this as a worthwile investment!

I cannot see the coin going up in value under ANY circumstance!

With The Economy being "as is", coupled with the reality that as population
    rises "worth" declines accordingly - the coin can only decline in value!

I think it's great that Greg had such Good Fortune, with Teletrade's help and a
    VERY BOLD move on the part of PCGS, but, for me, the purchase of this coin
    simply would NOT BE a wise Business decision. (JMHO, FWIW)

Once again, Congratulations to Greg, Teletrade, PCGS AND ultimately, the New Owner. image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that Bushmaster bought the coin for $8 is immaterial. I would have paid 4 figures for the coin raw in a flip. PCGS did increase the value substantially by grading it MS67 obviously (as PCGS does with myriad classic and modern coins). Had PCGS graded it MS66, the coin would have been worth a few thousand dollars IMHO regardless.

But, make no mistake about it - these are real coins. A few years back, I bought a common date NGC slabbed silver Washington quarter out of an auction sale for more than $10,000. Thereafter, I cracked it out of the holder to submit it to PCGS raw. At that exact point in time, some might argue the coin was merely a $25 or $50 coin for which I had paid $10,000+. Shortly thereafter, when PCGS slabbed it MS68, it sold for more than $15,000 (and is probably worth at least $25,000 today).

Bushmaster's coin was a multi thousand coin as it sat in a flip - Bushmaster knew it and anyone with sophistication with silver Washingtons would have know it. PCGS added the icing on the cake - but the cake was Bushmaster taking the time to search the bourse floor for a diamond in the rough which he found that day!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Certain to acheive the status of Major You Suck Award or Uber Rip or.....
    Once it's done (or before the ck. clears) give us the story of the find Greg. You have had other really good hits (the roll of nickels which I was lucky enought to get one) and others but we're all interested in learning more about this one if you feel comfortable sharing. Thanks
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options

i would say you are not wrong image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for those enquiring minds, I paid $8 for the coin

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>These top pop coins are worth whatever a collector/investor is willing to pay for them. If there was no registry program the price would be vastly different. So you can see how collecting the best quality coins has changed since the registry was created, It caused the value of these specific coins to sky rocket!!!! image >>

there you go PC , your squawkin' a tune I can sing to now ; you are right on the money with the above comment imageimage

I BELIEVE THE REGISTRY AND THE REGISTRY ALONE is responsible for this coin bringing the money it did ;

remove the registry ego's and it would have sold for a couple grand ....... top's !
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Simply Amazing! Congratulations on have a keen eye and scoring a very very handsome profit on this one!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I would NOT pay such a figure for this coin and here is "Why."

There, IMHO, is little to NO chance of anyone "flipping" the coin for more than
    $14,000 plus "Juice" - $16,100 LESS SEELER'S FEES!
    As such, I cannot see this as a worthwile investment! >>

BOOm, it's not always about "flipping". And it's not always about "investing".
    It is all about COLLECTING! (Sometimes we forget! image )

<< <i>"...give us the story of the find Greg" >>

There is not much of a story to tell... I bought it in July from a very small dealer who sets up at a local show in Chicagoland. I may have bought from him once before that, but not more than once for sure. I bought 2 or 3 raw coins from him and an NGC slabbed 56 Frankie proof.
    I sent off the 62 quarter w/bunch of other raw stuff when TT had their Free Grading Raw promo last month.

Teletrade is a great outfit, despite what some grumpers on this forum say...
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"...give us the story of the find Greg" >>

There is not much of a story to tell... I bought it in July from a very small dealer who sets up at a local show in Chicagoland. I may have bought from him once before that, but not more than once for sure. I bought 2 or 3 raw coins from him and an NGC slabbed 56 Frankie proof.
    I sent off the 62 quarter w/bunch of other raw stuff when TT had their Free Grading Raw promo last month.

Teletrade is a great outfit, despite what some grumpers on this forum say... >>

Teletrade had a free grading promo? I wasn't aware of this? But I don't know much about TT. Can you explain Greg?
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you! Killer coin. K
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Congrat's on a Super Nice Score!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Here's my thoughts.....I have paid like 25 to 50 times the price of a coin becuase of the color......so....the buyer is nuts........but I am also guilty as charged. What matters here is that the buyer entered into this with their eyes wide open as do I so.....it's only money image
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    It's stories like this one that keeps the dreams of a big coin find alive. An $8 dollar coin flipped for $14K...just incredible. I'm so excited for you and knowing that a nice person here on the board got this type of hit. Damn! Now I'm gonna have to knock some old man out the chairs to look for hours through every 2X2 at the coin shows. Oh the horror.image

OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    YES, .................ahh Greg , could you explain alot of the things I know very little to nothing about ?

thank you in advance
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The fact that Bushmaster bought the coin for $8 is immaterial. I would have paid 4 figures for the coin raw in a flip. PCGS did increase the value substantially by grading it MS67 obviously (as PCGS does with myriad classic and modern coins). Had PCGS graded it MS66, the coin would have been worth a few thousand dollars IMHO regardless.

But, make no mistake about it - these are real coins. A few years back, I bought a common date NGC slabbed silver Washington quarter out of an auction sale for more than $10,000. Thereafter, I cracked it out of the holder to submit it to PCGS raw. At that exact point in time, some might argue the coin was merely a $25 or $50 coin for which I had paid $10,000+. Shortly thereafter, when PCGS slabbed it MS68, it sold for more than $15,000 (and is probably worth at least $25,000 today).

Bushmaster's coin was a multi thousand coin as it sat in a flip - Bushmaster knew it and anyone with sophistication with silver Washingtons would have know it. PCGS added the icing on the cake - but the cake was Bushmaster taking the time to search the bourse floor for a diamond in the rough which he found that day!

Wondercoin >>

• Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Wow! Just sold for $18,400 in the Heritage Auction! Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file