Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone here collect kookaburras?

If so, post your pics! I'm also curious to know if the scuffy cheeks on Queen Elizabeth which are the bane of the britannia series are also to be found on the Kooks. Can anyone tell me? I'm trying to learn more about the kook series (one oz silver) - are there any key dates or anything of that nature? Any good websites? How feasible would it be to try for a date run in MS69?

Thanks!

2008 NGC MS69 Silver Kookaburra 1 oz.:

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I have an up to date Littleton album of them. I love the designs. Some of the coins in the early 90's are a bit pricey, if I remember correctly. I looked at mine for the scruffy cheeks, but they look nice to me...image Besides, it's the reverses I like the best.image
    Becky
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I would probably have to say yes.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I like 'em.

If I were into modern bullion silver, it would be pretty easy to get kooky about Kooks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    No Kook's but a few Koal's
  • Options
    The silver kooks are packaged in "air-tite" style coin capsules from the Perth Mint and don't have the same scuffy cheek problem as the silver Britannias which are packaged in "loose-fitting", brittle plastic blister sheets where the coins become "sliders" from simple handling.

Original early date kooks (1990-1999) are often found in square Perth Mint holders and 1991 to 2000 dates (restrikes) came in round holders. All dates 2000 to 2009 come in round holders only.

IMHO, the Perth Mint kooks (and koalas) are the highest quality uncirculated silver bullion coin available and look like true proof coins. In general, they are higher quality than silver pandas, eagles, libertads, maples, philharmonics, or Britannias.
    My eBay Auctions

Silver Eagle Coin Company Website
    Silver Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, Australian Kookaburras, Mexican Libertads, and Austrian Philharmonics NOW AVAILABLE at Excellent Prices!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

I guess these pictures are less about the "kilo kook" than the cute little JM 1-gram bar.

2008 is the first year i've liked the design. It's because of the spider web. The barbed wire gives it a uniquely Australian look. Not that barbed wire doesn't exist elsewhere, but on a coin as a design element?!?

• Options
    A few of my favorite kook designs:

My eBay Auctions

Silver Eagle Coin Company Website
    Silver Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, Australian Kookaburras, Mexican Libertads, and Austrian Philharmonics NOW AVAILABLE at Excellent Prices!
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    >>

^
    One of my favorites.