Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Adolf Hitler cards....

I recently had two cards from a German 1936 Olympic set graded by PSA. They are the only two graded to date. What is the general concensus for selling these? Is there a market?? They are pre-WWII if that makes a difference?? Is it "pc" to list them on ebay? I posted one of them on the net54 board last week and the first few responses were negative so I deleted the scan of the Hitler card and kept the scan of the Jesse Owens card (I got two of those graded also). Please let me know opinions.

Thanks-
Claude

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I tried selling a couple 1936 tobacco cards with Hitler on them and they were removed from ebay.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I don't see a problem with listing them. It's no different than people selling WWII Nazi helmets and memerobilia. The people that have a problem with it should be glad that they have nothing more to worry about than what everyone else is doing. It's not like your promoting his beliefs. Can you post them here? I'd be interested in seeing both the Owens and Hitler cards.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • There's a whole bunch of Hitler items on ebay. I'd list them. If it bothers people, why are they searching his name?
    imageimageimage
  • Any negative response you get from them would have to be from a very close minded person. It is no different then say, black racist cards from the turn of the century, they are a part of history. Now if you listed them like, "Greatest Person Ever!!!!" then you would deserve whatever backlash you received...but I doubt that was the case.

I sold some WWII Nazi stuff for a friend of mine who's father personally brought them back after WWII. I don't think that made the American solider (or me) a traitor, and my friends family really needed the money.

Such things are just another example how little tolerance many people have for any opinion or thought outside of their own.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a scan of one of the Owens cards...the colors are fantastic. I will get a scan of the Hitler cards tonite and post them.

• JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    The 1938 Gum Inc. R69 Horrors of War has three cards entitled "Hitler's Border Tour Raises War Scare", "Hitler Threatens Force" and "Chamberlain Meets Hitler." (They's actually quite pricey.) And while I don't own any of these cards, I wouldn't be hesitant to list them

In fact, here's an action for an ungraded 1938 Gum Inc. R69 Horrors of War Hitler Threatens Force # 283.

/s/ JackWESQ

Wow! That's a sweet looking card of Jesse Owens!

/s/ JackWESQ
    Thats with my old scanner...just got a new one yesterday. The next scans after I get home should be more vivid.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Put up a listing and see what happens. I don't think any intelligent person would call you a Nazi for doing so.

Now, if you were a dealer who specialized in Nazi memorabilia, that'd be different.

Post a pic of the Hitler card.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the previous posters. There is nothing worong with the sale of historically significant cards. Too few people in today's world even bother to learn about these figures from the past but react instead with a superficiial sense of misguided outrage. You are not promoting or advocating the beliefs of Hitler.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • of course list them with BIN so I can save money.... image

(the owens card is beautiful btw, i'd love it)
  • That Owens card is awesome. If it is for sale you should give us a price.

I could see kids trading these. "I'll give you the Owens for one Hitler and a Mussolini."
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    Just found this black & white one on ebay....a PSA 2. The color ones are much nicer and I got PSA 5 & PSA 6 on them.

Linky to black & white card
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's a whole bunch of Hitler items on ebay. I'd list them. If it bothers people, why are they searching his name? >>

/////////////////////////////////////////

So that they can report them to T&S for removal.

I have had mixed results listing the stuff. I have relisted stuff
    that was removed, without it being removed again.

EBAY is out-of-control, right now.

The bots will hit the word "NAZI." But, listings with the word
    may or may not be removed.

/////////////////////////////////////////

Offensive Material Policy

Sellers may not list items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, racial or religious intolerance, or items that promote organizations with such views.

Sellers wishing to list items that may be covered by this policy must review the “Examples” section for detailed information about items that may and may not be permitted on eBay.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

Some Examples

Items that Promote Hatred, Violence, Racial or Religious Intolerance

eBay has always exercised judgment in allowing or disallowing certain listings consistent with the spirit of a worldwide community. Therefore, eBay will judiciously disallow listings or items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, racial or religious intolerance, or items that promote organizations (such as the KKK, Nazis, neo-Nazis and Aryan Nation) with such views. For example, eBay will generally remove items that bear the marks of such organizations, such as relics from the KKK or certain Nazi memorabilia.

Under this policy, eBay may in its discretion, remove items when the item or description graphically portrays violence or victims of violence, and lacks substantial social, artistic or political value.

For example, eBay may disallow sales of explicit crime scene photographs or morgue photos, while permitting military documentaries or photographs of war victims. eBay may also, in its discretion and out of respect for the families of murder victims, remove listings of items closely associated with individuals notorious for committing murderous acts within the last 100 years, such as personal belongings of such criminals, letters or artwork created by such criminals, or novelty items that bear the name or image of the criminal.

Further, eBay will remove any listing and suspend the users involved where it appears that a person convicted of a violent felony is attempting to use eBay (directly or through another person) to benefit financially from his or her criminal notoriety.

Items related to Natural Disasters or Human Tragedies

eBay does not permit listings that graphically portray, glorify or attempt to profit from human tragedy or suffering, which lack substantial social, artistic, or political value. This includes items that may be deemed inappropriate or insensitive to victims of natural disasters or human tragedies.

Exception: Items related to natural disasters or human tragedies that have substantial social, artistic or political value are generally permitted on eBay. Such items may include newspaper clippings, documentaries, books, and commemorative photographs or paintings.

Racially or Ethnically Offensive Historical Items and Reproductions

Accordingly, listings that are racially or ethnically offensive are not permitted on eBay. eBay and its community of users will not tolerate such material.

Occasionally, there may be listings of antiques or historical pieces (often referred to as ’Black Americana‘) that, while unacceptable in today's society, are relics of an era where racially inappropriate and insensitive products were widely available. While these items are offensive to eBay and its community, eBay recognizes that such historical items find their way into museums and private collections, and serve as important tools for education about the past.

eBay permits such listings of historical pieces, but at the request of community members, eBay will not permit listings of racial or ethnically inappropriate reproductions.

Further, when selling potentially offensive yet true historical pieces, sellers must ensure that the language in their listings shows appropriate sensitivity to those in the community that might view it. For example, sellers may not use offensive words and phrases such as ’Jap‘ or ’Ni**er‘ in the title or description of their listing, even if that word is part of the proper name or trademark of the item. Sellers may, however, display an image of such historical items within their listing even if the offensive word is plainly visible within the historical item.

Racially or Ethnically Offensive Works of Art, including Books, Movies, Music and Artwork

Artists occasionally use offensive words and phrases such as ’Ni**er‘ and ’Jap‘ in the titles of media items such as books, movies, music and artwork. Examples of such items include books from prominent authors such as Randall Kennedy, Joseph Conrad and H. Rap Brown, and musicians such as John Lennon. Sellers may use such words and phrases in the title and description of their listings within media categories such as Books, Movies and Music, provided that the offensive words are actually part of the title of the listed item. eBay urges all of its community members to treat others as they themselves would like to be treated.

eBay will review listings that are brought to its attention by its worldwide community, and will look at the entire listing to determine whether it falls within this rule.

Examples of items that will generally be removed:

Items that bear symbols of the Nazis, the SS, or the KKK, including authentic German WWII memorabilia such as Olympic medals that bear such marks

Items that were owned by or affiliated with Nazi leaders

Music or films that promote hatred and racial supremacy

Holocaust denial books

Crime scene photographs

Morgue shots

Letters and artwork from notorious murderers

Electric chairs and related capital punishment items

Examples of items that may generally be listed:

German coins and postage stamps (canceled or otherwise) from the WWII era regardless of markings

WWII memorabilia that does not bear the Nazi or SS markings

Books and movies about WWII or Nazi Germany that do not contain propaganda, even if the Nazi symbol appears on the item

War documentaries or documentary photos portraying victims of war or violence provided they do not contain propaganda

Items of historical importance associated with acts of violence against public figures

//////////////////
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great shot of Owens . I have it in PSA 4 .. That would look good in my Owens player registry set .. Which other Owens did you have graded ?

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    NO SOUP FOR YOU!

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    storms right, the ebay nazi's will get you and bam em-ive had em pull u.s. 45 infantry division patches off, pre ww2,before hitler stole the swastica,which is a indian sign to begin with, anything with a swastica can be pulled, im a military dealer, me knows all to well and have had stuff pulled more than once that nazi, it dont matter if u put swastica or nazi in title or not, ebay rats with nothing better to do will bust you in military stuff, i dont know about cards,i dont see anything wrong with your cards
    it funny you can sell divil worship stuff/sex stuff/bongs , but you cant sell nazi or kkk stuff cause you might offend somebody, its part of history
    i just tell em to get over it ,the civil war and ww2 are over and its historyimage
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1938 Gum Inc. R69 Horrors of War has three cards entitled "Hitler's Border Tour Raises War Scare", "Hitler Threatens Force" and "Chamberlain Meets Hitler." >>

I bet Wilt the Stilt dunked all over Hitler.

• << <i> hitler stole the swastica,which is a indian sign to begin with >>

So about 16 years ago I was in High School. At Taco Bell for lunch when I noticed the 2 gangsters in front of me had these homemade airbrushed shirts that had a brick wall and names of gangs crossed out. In there was a backwards swastika. Being the type of guy I am, I informed them of their error. They didn't care and and quickly became upset and wanted to go outside to "talk" about it. Well I went and "talked" with both of them until my buddy jumped in and took one. I'll never forget walking away after the fight was over (in the Drive thru) and there was an eldery lady in line and she said to me "Fighting doesn't solve anything" I replied "Now you tell me". As I spit blood. lol
    imageimageimage
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaimage
    + 1 for donavan fighting with punk posers
    did they get whomped?

somebody put a slabbed psa hitler on here i(n the mail call thread somewhere) from a set,it was a beuatiful card,high grade from whatever it was from,it was old
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1938 Gum Inc. R69 Horrors of War has three cards entitled "Hitler's Border Tour Raises War Scare", "Hitler Threatens Force" and "Chamberlain Meets Hitler." >>

I bet Wilt the Stilt dunked all over Hitler. >>

Hahahah awesome.
    I sell Third Reich postage-stamps with both Hitler and Swastikas on them.
    Also, stamp albums with Swastikas and Hitler on them.

They are on the "EBAY exemption list." Both mint and used can be sold.

I have had daggers and patches poofed. I have relisted them and had no problem.

The current crop of T&S folks is very demoralized. Mostly youngsters who have
    no clue about anything beyond their public-school indoctrination; you never how
    they will decide ANY issue. Their bosses are mostly busy looking for new jobs.

• slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Put up a listing and see what happens. I don't think any intelligent person would call you a Nazi for doing so.

Now, if you were a dealer who specialized in Nazi memorabilia, that'd be different.

Post a pic of the Hitler card. >>

I agree. The man and his actions were obviously derranged, but selling historical cards depicting him isn't exactly an attempt to further the Nazi cause. It surprises me that eBay would remove any such listings.

Anyone who is trying to support Nazi causes needs to go outside and "talk" with Donovan. Hahah.
    ive saw that episode of star trek black image

• << <i>
    did they get whomped?
    >>

It was kinda funny. They said lets go outside. So I walked towards the front and they werent there. I looked inside and saw them in the drive thru so I went there. I started to take my shirt off and they both started hitting me while my shirt was over my face. Lesson learned there. lol My buddies inside the packed place didn't know I left to fight at first, so what seemed like forever I was switching my hits back and forth between them. My buddy came out the door screaming and tackled one of them. Screaming? lol yeah, he was. The guy and I both had each others shirts in our hand and took turns hitting each other in the face. Odd. Then a guy I know was a security guard in the shopping center came over with his mace. At that time I had one in a headlock and was hitting the guy that got away from my buddy. The security guard kept yelling at me to let the guy go. Saying nothing to the guy hitting me. Finally we all left and they followed us on the freeway. Wanting us to to to a local (gangster infested) park to finish it. Yeah right. As we drove they were throwing tools at us and some landing inside. I was throwing them back and my buddy a shade tree mechanic said, no keep those. lol They followed us until we were real close to a buddys house who was crazy and would of probally bit them, they took off.

Later in life I discovered my boss used to work there and was there when it happened.

A day I'll never forget.
    I have had many encounters like that and my wife finally got her way with me keeping my mouth shut in public.
    imageimageimage
    well... as long as ya got freee tools out of the dealimage
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    My daughter goes to pre-school in an old building that is part of a church. There are all kinds of designs in the floor tile of the vestabule. I've noticed a bunch of swatikas in the floor designs. I just pointed it out to my wife last week. I will try to get a picture soon.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
    Well...here is the scan of the two cards. What do you think? (my dad and bro. are military nuts...they can name all the guys on the podium in the right hand card)

PSA 5 and 6, respectively?! That's highway robbery. Those cards appear undergraded.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • The Swaztica is a religious symbol for many of the native american tribes. The Caddo indians especially used it in alot of their artwork.
    I thought they were undergraded too....cannot see ANY kind of a crease or wrinkle and the centering and corners are nice??? Who knows?!

• << <i>My daughter goes to pre-school in an old building that is part of a church. There are all kinds of designs in the floor tile of the vestabule. I've noticed a bunch of swatikas in the floor designs. I just pointed it out to my wife last week. I will try to get a picture soon. >>

There's a house in town and the design in their fence has swastikas in it. It's on a busy street too.
    imageimageimage
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    The context of how you are selling the item may help to prevent the item from being removed. If you were to list the items as "Hitler's Rookie Card" or things like that, they'd likely be pulled. If you listed a group of cards from the set, and didn't pay any special attention to those cards over the ones of Owens, etc., then they'd probably be ok. It's ok to list the 1956 Adventures Max Schmeling card without problems (although when I listed the one I had, I blocked out the image just to be on the safe side).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Those images are immaculate. I think they're amazing pieces of history.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    That Hitler, he single handedly killed that style of moustache forever.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well...here is the scan of the two cards. What do you think? (my dad and bro. are military nuts...they can name all the guys on the podium in the right hand card)

image >>

The one on the left would probably be left on ebay if presented ok. The one on the right would be pulled because you can see the swasticka (sp?). I tried to sell a photo of Hitler and Mussolini autographed by Mussolini and they pulled it because they said it was "hateful and discriminatory". Upon further inquiry, they pulled it because it showed the swasticka. I just airbrushed it in my scan and reposted and all went well. I did indicate to potential bidders that the scan was airbrushed to cover what to some might be a "hateful and discriminatory" symbol and ebay left it alone.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    "..airbrushed to cover what to some might be a "hateful and discriminatory" symbol and ebay left it alone..."

/////////////////////////

Yup. That will solve it.

The fact that they allow my Third Reich stamps to be listed has always been a mystery to me.

• Heres one i`ve had for some time, a large card almost 5in. long

1936 Reemstma cig. #119

• Japanese samurai used the backwards swastika symbol. I saw it on some temples when I went there last year.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    As many of you probably know, the "backwards" swastika is actually the original symbol (it was for good luck). It was the Nazis were reversed the direction when they adopted it for their movement.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You mean Ripkenfan got punched in the mouth for nothing?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well...here is the scan of the two cards. What do you think? (my dad and bro. are military nuts...they can name all the guys on the podium in the right hand card)

image >>

Is that Charlie Chaplin in that card on the right? Fourth from left in the stands behind Hitler. Chaplin a Nazi? It's a crazy world. Somebody should sell tickets.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • nice cards...

im surprised CDNUTS (LEE)hasnt posted through that account yet....

• << <i>
    Is that Charlie Chaplin in that card on the right? Fourth from left in the stands behind Hitler. Chaplin a Nazi? >>

Nazi propaganda book reveals Charlie Chaplin was on Hitler's death list

27 February 2008

Charlie Chaplin: Attacked in book

As the Little Tramp, he made millions laugh.

But the Nazis never saw the funny side when it came to Charlie Chaplin.

Adolf Hitler's hatred of the politically outspoken movie star is apparent in a yellowing book of Nazi propaganda which includes Chaplin in a hit list of prominent Jews.

The fact that Chaplin was not Jewish didn't save him from being a target. The book, Juden Sehen Dich An (The Jews are Watching You), brands him a "pseudo-Jew".

He was in excellent company. Albert Einstein was among the international Jewish figures listed in 95 pages corroded with hate.

The book, which includes names and photographs of activists, bankers, economists, journalists, academics and entertainers, was written by Dr Johann von Leers, a notorious anti-Jewish propagandist.

Published in Berlin in the 1930s, it is thought to have inspired Chaplin's classic comedy The Great Dictator, in which he both directed and starred.

In the 1940 movie, Chaplin plays a Nazi-like tyrant, Adenoid Hynkel, dictator of Tomainia, clearly modelled on Hitler.

The book is to be auctioned in Shropshire next month.

Auctioneer Richard Westwood-Brookes said: "The book aims to attack leading Jews worldwide, warning the German people that these people were forming an international network aimed at world domination. Each leading Jew is featured with a photograph and a pen portrait, but by far the most remarkable and bizarre aspect of this book is the inclusion of Charlie Chaplin.

"He is attacked in a section named 'Artistic Jews', with the suggestion that he was of Jewish origin and therefore a pseudo-Jew.

"Chaplin must have feared for his life when he saw the book, because the majority of the people in this book were exterminated by the Nazis.

"These pieces of history serve as a reminder of what happened and what could have happened.

Scroll down for more...

Adolf Hitler: Chaplin mercilessly parodied him in The Great Dictator

"It's easy to look at movies, but when you have original pieces like this in your hand, it's chilling."

Film historian Kevin Brownlow said Chaplin made The Great Dictator in response to seeing himself on the book's hit list.

"The Nazis mistakenly thought he was Jewish because Chaplin never denied it," he said.

"He was sent a copy of this book and it is widely believed that this led to him to make the film The Great Dictator as an act of defiance."

Mr Brownlow said the picture of Chaplin used in the book was chosen because it was one in which he looked least like Hitler.

A film maker called Ivan Montague working in Berlin in the 1930s found a copy of the book and sent it to the actor.

"Chaplin even took the time to send a letter back to Montague, thanking him for sending the book," said Mr Brownlow.

"This shows us that Chaplin was very much aware of the book and was certainly roused by it."

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    im surprised CDNUTS (LEE)hasnt posted through that account yet....

I'm surprised they still let you use the computer at the mental institution.

I didn't realize all the jews were supposed to chime in on this thread. Now that I'm aware of this, I'd like to say nice cards.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no way ebay would ban a Hitler card unless ebay perceived, rightly or wrongly, that there was anti-Semitic content in the description of the item. Yes there are always a number of Hitler items on ebay. I am a WW2 aficionado and enjoy reading books and watching shows about the subject, and of course Hitler was a major part of it.

Frankly, I want people to remember this mass-murderer, evil piece of chit - those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it, and I don't want a holocaust to be repeated.