Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

1000 post offering WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Time does fly when you're having fun.. What I decided to offer as my 1000 post giveaway is a PCGS 1945S MS66 warnickel. Keeping with the tradition of sharing knowledge all you have to do to be entered in this giveaway is post a fact or piece of trivia concerning the warnickel series.. winner will be picked saturday morning 10/18 by the first person walking through my door.
Again thanks for all the input over the last 1000 posts pics below, the strike is a little weak for my likings but it is a nice coin.

Mojoman and UtahCoin have a tie so they both Win
see my last post for results
PM with shipping particuliars
Thanks
Ken
If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    CONGRATS!!! Thanks for the chance.image
  • Options
    Ok- thanks for the chance!

The 1943-P war nickel of the series includes an overdate- 1943 /2.

Congrats on 1000!
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    Grats and thanks for the chance. Please sign me up. I'm due as well, I'll be at 1k this weekend.image

Due to their composition, warnickels are more likely to have lamination errors.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    Congrats and very nice coin. War nickels contain 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese
    I like cheese, notes, and coins. In that order.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    May 1945 Germany Surrender and Sept. 1945 we dropped the bomb of Japan changing the world to what it is today. Thanks for the chance I would love that beauty count me in. Thanks George
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you know that 1944 nickels without the mint marks are counterfeits... And genuine pieces of other dates struck in nickel (non-silver) by error are known to exist.

Thank you...
  • Options
    Thanks for the chance!
    Regards,

SuperDad
    -------------------------

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana.

Boracay Islands, Philippines
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is no nickel in a war time nickel

thanks for the chance
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    The first time the "P" mintmark was used for Philadelphia was on the war nickels.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm game.

In 1942, there are both nickels that are silver and that are non-silver (switchover to silver occured in October 1942)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭
    -These coins are usually a bit darker than regular nickels, said to be due to their manganese content (as was true of many British coins minted from 1920 through 1947). A likely reason for the darker appearance of the wartime coin was due to exposure to sulfur during circulation, which invariably gave the coins a mild and somewhat distinctive dark silver tarnish.

-The wartime nickel features the largest mint mark ever to grace a United States coin!!!!

-An unofficial variety of the wartime coin dated 1944 was made in 1954 when counterfeit nickels were produced by Francis LeRoy Henning of Erial, New Jersey. He had previously been arrested for counterfeiting $5 bills. The 1944 nickels were quickly spotted since Henning neglected to add the large mintmark.

-The mintiges for war nickels are

1942 P - 57,873,000
    1942 S - 32,900,000
    1943 P - 271,165,000
    1943 D - 15,294,000
    1943 S - 104,060,000
    1944 P - 119,150,000
    1944 D - 32,309,000
    1944 S - 21,640,000
    1945 P - 119,408,100
    1945 D - 37,158,000
    1945 S - 58,939,000

Thanks for the give away ken!!!
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    The most common counterfeits were made by Francis Henning of New Jersey in 1954. Link
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    yee haw!

Metal Composition: 35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese

Total Weight: 5.00 grams

Comments: World War II prompted the rationing of many commodities. Nickel was highly valued for use in armor plating, and Congress ordered the removal of this metal from the five-cent piece, effective October 8, 1942. From that date, and lasting through the end of 1945, five-cent pieces bore the regular design but were minted from an alloy of copper, silver and manganese. It was anticipated that these emergency coins would be withdrawn from circulation after the war, so a prominent distinguishing feature was added. Coins from all three mints bore very large mintmarks above the dome of Monticello, and the letter 'P' was used as a mintmark for the first time on a U. S. coin.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    The highest PCGS graded NON full step Jefferson war nickel is a 1945-S in MS68 (POP 1).

S
  • Options
    Thanks for the chance!

War nickels were made in war time (hence their name) because they needed more copper for ammunition. They replaced some of the nickel with silver to comphensaite, so these nickels are almost unique in the fact they are the only nickel which has silver in them.
  • Options
    Please count me in.
    The nickel allegedly found containing spy microfilm, has a connection to the war nickels.
    It was allegedly Soviet spy information, not Nazi spy information.
    The alleged date of the nickel was 1948, except that the alloys from the back end of the nickel (the reverse, as it were) were allegedly composed of the copper/silver alloys used during the WW II years.
    It was allegedly found by a paperboy for the Brooklyn Eagle, at the time my father was a paperboy and my grandfather worked on the Brooklyn Eagle.
  • Options
    thanks for the chance
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, thanks for the chance!!

The only thing I really know about the silver nickels is that when buying/selling for bullion they can trade at a discount to spot given the low purity of the silver and how much space a decent hoard takes up... thanks again.
  • Options
    If it's not too late, I'd like to be thrown into the pool! Unfortunately, all of the trivia I know about the war nickels has already been mentioned. So, I thought I'd relate this bit of personal trivia about the war years.

My Mom and Dad met in Washington, D.C. in the spring of 1941. Dad was from Pennsylvania and Mom was from Nebraska. If any of you are old enough to remember the movie "Government Girl", that was (not literally) Mom. They were married on December 6, 1941, the day before the attack on Pearl Harbor. My father entered the service right away.

Before being shipped to England in 1944 while stationed at Camp Blanding in Florida, my Dad nearly died from a severe case of pneumonia he contracted when the doctor performing a routine tonsillectomy allowed blood to get into his lungs. My Mom was transported from Washington, D.C. by the military and a priest was admnistering last rites for my Dad, but he pulled through. I should add that these tonsillectomies were "routine" because the procedure was being performed on all of the GI's whether they needed it or not because the military didn't want them getting sick on a wintry battlefield in Europe.

He was shipped to England, anyway, despite the fact that he had severe scarring on his lungs. My Dad was a combat medic, and he was initially scheduled to hit Omaha Beach in the first wave. During training exercises for assault landing from the sea some men died from drowning during a bad storm in the English Channel. The General Staff issued orders that the rest of the sea-borne invasion force must have training on how to survive in the sea. So, my Dad was held back from the first wave which very nearly was a disaster on Omaha Beach. Score another one for Dad! Otherwise, I wouldn't be here to bore you with this.

Being that he was a combat medic, my father never got the chance to get any R&R behind the front lines. He remained on the front lines through 5 major battle campaigns from the day he landed at Omaha Beach until the day he was captured during the Battle of the Bulge. The fighting among the hedgerows of France was really hard on him, because it was the responsibility of the medics to go into the fields with bullets and shells flying all around to treat the wounded. He was wounded twice, and at that point he decided that it would be in his best interest to carry a weapon to defend himself. To hell with the Geneva Convention! He managed to commandeer a Thompson submachine gun, but in short order, his CO advised him that he would face courts martial if he didn't get rid of it. His CO suggested that he carry something less obvious, like a Colt 45 automatic.

During one battle, when the troops were under heavy bombardment by German railroad guns, my Dad and another GI called Frenchie were huddled in a foxhole for protection. They learned from experience when the shells would be flying well beyond their position or when it was time to duck and pray. On one particular "duck and pray", they were literally bounced out of their foxhole by a loud "WHUMP". It turned out that the shell had landed not 10 feet away but did not detonate. These shells from the railroad guns were called "blockbusters" because they were so big that one shell could level an entire city block. Score another one for Dad.

Dad was captured in January, 1945. During his internment, he lost 65 pounds, but he survived because he learned how to forage for food from his childhood days during the Great Depression in a coal mining town in Pennsylvania. Many of the German prison camps were constructed in fields that were once used for agriculture. So, Dad would dig up the frozen earth looking for leftover potatoes. He would put them in his pocket to thaw, then eat them raw. If he couldn't find any tubers, he would eat grass. These German camps really aren't like those you see in the movies. In actuality, officers were separated from the enlisted men. Americans were separated from the British, British from the Canadians, French from the Poles, etc. The Stalags were comprised of many small camps within the whole. Since Dad was a medic, the Germans gave him a "pass" so that he could move from one camp to another to treat the sick and wounded. On one particular "outing", Dad decided to check out a barn to see if he could scrounge anything to eat. The Germans were using the barn for the corpses which were frozen stiff and stacked like firewood.

When Dad was finally freed by Allied troops, he and one other GI were the only remaining survivors of the original company that landed on Omaha Beach. Dad couldn't find it in himself to talk about his war experiences for a very long, long time. It wasn't until 1975 that Mom learned that he didn't get drafted. He had enliisted two days after they were married because he wanted to fight the Japanese. Score "four" for us kids since we were born in 1946, 1947, 1949 and 1952.

Dad passed in 1997. Mom passed in 2006, and they are both resting peacefully in Arlington National Cemetery. I miss them both.

You can wake up now!

Chris

• Options
    some 1942 nickels were produced without silver content. These will have a small "D" or "S" mint mark to the right of Monticello on the reverse or in the case of Philadelphia minted coins, no mint mark at all.
  • Options
    war nickels seem to be gaining popularity. i really enjoy their large mint marks. only made from 1942 to 1945.
  • Options
    Don't enter me in the giveaway draw but congrats on your 1000 marker!
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Thanks!!!
  • Options
    thanks for the chance
  • Options
    Thanks for the giveaway, what door do I have to walk thorugh in Newington?
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    1 more day to go image
    It is a very interesting series, for a 3 year 11 basic coin set you have an overdate, hundreds of doubled dies, hundreds of RPMs and the usual assortment of mint errors.
    Thanks for the entries and keep them coming
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Metal Composition: 35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese

No Nickel in a Nickel called the War Nickel....

Thanks for the chance.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for e chance!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    Thanks for chance to win! That nickel is HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would treasure it, have never had an UNC war nickel in my collection before.

Here's my trivia part of the exam:

IF I am calculating correctly, as of today/ 10:30 CST a 'war nickel - melt value is .0443 approximately.

So a nickel isn't even worth a nickel!

Does that surprise anyone?

Well a few months ago - it would have been worth more than a nickel.

Any predictions on how much a nickel will be worth on 1/1/09?

hmmmmm
  • Options
    Congrats! More on the famous hollow nickel, which was part war nickel:

On the evening of Monday, June 22, 1953, a delivery boy for the "Brooklyn Eagle" knocked on the door of one of his customers in the apartment building at 3403 Foster Avenue in Brooklyn. It was "collecting time" again. A lady answered the door. She disappeared for a moment, then returned with a purse in her hand.

"Sorry, Jimmy," she said. "I don't have any change. Can you break this dollar bill for me?"

The newsboy quickly counted the coins in his pocket. There were not enough. "I'll ask the people across the hall," he said.

There were two ladies in the apartment across from the one occupied by Jimmy's customer. By pooling the coins in their pocketbooks, they were able to give the newsboy change for a dollar.

After he collected for the newspaper, Jimmy left the apartment house jingling several coins in his left hand. One of the coins seemed to have a peculiar ring. The newsboy rested this coin, a nickel, on the middle finger of his hand. It felt lighter than an ordinary nickel.

He dropped this coin to the floor. It fell apart! Inside was a tiny photograph -- apparently a picture of a series of numbers.

Two days later (Wednesday, June 24, 1953) during a discussion of another investigation, a detective of the New York City Police Department told a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Agent about the strange hollow nickel which, he had heard, was discovered by a Brooklyn youth. The detective had received his information from another police officer whose daughter was acquainted with the newsboy.

When the New York detective contacted him, Jimmy handed over the hollow nickel and the photograph it contained. The detective, in turn, gave the coin to the FBI.

In examining the nickel, Agents of the FBI's New York Office noted that the microphotograph appeared to portray nothing more then ten columns of typewritten numbers. There was five digits in each number and 21 numbers in most columns. The Agents immediately suspected that they had found a coded espionage message. They carefully wrapped the nickel and microphotograph for shipment to the FBI Laboratory.

Upon its receipt in Washington on June 26, 1953, the nickel was subjected to the thorough scrutiny of a team of FBI scientific experts. Hollow coins, though rarely seen by the ordinary citizen, are occasionally used in magic acts and come to the attention of Federal law enforcement agencies from time to time. This was the first time, however, that the FBI had ever encountered a nickel quite like this one.

The face of the coin was a 1948 Jefferson nickel. In the "R" of the word "TRUST", there was a tiny hole -- obviously drilled there so that a fine needle or other small instrument could be inserted to force the nickel open.

The reverse side had been made from another nickel -- one minted sometime during the period of 1942 to 1945. It was composed of copper-silver alloy, there being a shortage of nickel during World War II.

While efforts were being made to decode the message on the microphotograph, FBI Agents in New York launched an investigation to find the source of the hollow coin. The two ladies who had changed the newboy's dollar on the evening of June 22 were located. Yes, they remembered Jimmy; but, if either had given him a hollow nickel, it was entirely unintentional. "Why, we've never seen a hollow coin -- or, for that matter, even heard of one before."

The proprietors of novelty stores and related business establishments in the New York vicinity were contacted. Photographs of the hollow coin were shown to them. None could recall seeing a nickel or other coin quite like this one.

"It's not suitable for a magic trick," one novelty salesman commented. "The hollowed-out area is too small to hide anything aside from a tiny piece of paper.

In Washington, each effort to decipher the microphotograph met with failure. Additionally, the kind of typewriter which had been used in preparing the coded message could not be identified. Since the FBI Laboratory maintains a reference file concerning typewriters manufactured in the United States, a foreign-made typewriter undoubtedly was involved.

From 1953 to 1957, continuing efforts were made to solve the mystery of the hollow coin. Several former intelligence agents who had defected to the free world from communist-bloc nations were contacted. They could shed no light on the case.

As the search for the source of the hollow nickel expanded across the United States, hollow subway tokens, "trick" coins, and similar objects were submitted to the FBI Laboratory by Agents in various parts of the country. From New York came a half dollar which had been ground in such a manner that smaller coins could be concealed under it. From Los Angeles came a peculiar-looking 1953 Lincoln penny. FBI scientists determined that it had been coated with nickel.

Two hollow pennies were found in Washington, D.C. Neither of these pennies, nor the assortment of other coins which the Laboratory examined, was found to have tool markings or other distinguishing features to identify it with the newsboy's 1948 Jefferson nickel.

In the intelligence and counterintelligence field, patience is more than a virtue. It is an absolute necessity. Months of determined probing by the FBI's scientists and investigative staff had led merely to one blind alley after another. Yet, the relentless search to identify the person who had brought the hollow nickel to New York, as well as the person for whom the coded message was intended, continued.

Defection of a Russian Spy

The key to this mystery proved to be a 36-year-old Lieutenant Colonel of the Soviet State Security Service (KGB). Early in May, 1957, he telephoned the United States Embassy in Paris and subsequently arrived at the Embassy to be interviewed. To an Embassy official, the Russian espionage agent explained, "I'm an officer in the Soviet intelligence service. For the past five years, I have been operating in the United States. Now I need your help."

This spy, Reino Hayhanen, stated that he had just been ordered to return to Moscow. After five years in the United States, he dreaded the thought of going back to his communist-ruled homeland. He wanted to defect -- to desert the Soviet camp.

Hayhanen was born near Leningrad on May 14, 1920. His parents were peasants. Despite his modest background, Hayhanen was an honor student and, in 1939, obtained the equivalent of a certificate to teach high school.

In September, 1939, Hayhanen was appointed to the primary school faculty in the Village of Lipitzi. Two months later, however, he was conscripted by the Communists' secret police, the NKVD. Since he had studied the Finnish language and was very proficient in its use, Hayhanen was assigned as an interpreter to an NKVD group and sent to the combat zone to translate captured documents and interrogate prisoners during the Finnish-Soviet war.

With the end of this war in 1940, Hayhanen was assigned to check the loyalty and reliability of Soviet workers in Finland and to develop informants and sources of information in their midst. His primary objective was to identify anti-Soviet elements among the intelligentsia.

Hayhanen became a respected expert in Finnish intelligence matters and in May, 1943, was accepted into membership in the Soviet Communist Party. Following World War II, he rose to the rank of senior operative authorized representative of the Segozerski district section of the NKGB and, with headquarters in the Village of Padani, set about the task of identifying dissident elements among the local citizens.

In the summer of 1948, Hayhanen was called to Moscow by the KGB. The Soviet intelligence service had a new assignment for Hayhanen -- one which would require him to sever relations with his family, to study the English language, and to receive special training in photographing documents, as well as to encode and decode messages.

While his KGB training continued, Hayhanen worked as a mechanic in the City of Valga, Estonia. Then, in the summer of 1949, he entered Finland as Eugene Nicolai Maki, an American-born laborer.

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for chance to win! That nickel is HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would treasure it, have never had an UNC war nickel in my collection before.

Here's my trivia part of the exam:

IF I am calculating correctly, as of today/ 10:30 CST a 'war nickel - melt value is .0443 approximately.

So a nickel isn't even worth a nickel!

Does that surprise anyone?

Well a few months ago - it would have been worth more than a nickel.

Any predictions on how much a nickel will be worth on 1/1/09?

hmmmmm >>

I think you might have a floating decimal point on that calculatorimage
  • Options
    RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I started collecting coins as a kid in 1973. Some friends got me started with Jefferson nickels. I had a small group that I had pulled from change just because they were older than I was. So, I bought a Whitman folder for 50 cents and filled it with what I had. Then I realized that I wasn't going to be able to fill all of the holes from change, even after making several runs to the bank and searching rolls. The first coin purchase that I ever made for over face value was a 1943-D war nickel.

I did complete that set and eventually sold it, so I don't have that first war nickel any more. As I recall it was probably in F-VF shape and cost me around 45 cents. Oddly enough, that probably about all that I could get for it today.
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance... looks like everybody has already covered the basics and more in relation to this short series so I will go with a little bit of philosophy image

I think that the WWII nickes represent a better America, a time when people made sacrafices for the benefit of the world and their county. Even the country was willing to make sacrifices to fight a war a world away and became a pivotal point in US history and marked the rise of the strongest nation in the world.

I would argue that the America of today should take some very valueable lessons from the America of yesterday and I hope that we can go back to some of those principles and values.
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    Thanks for the chance,Please enter my Grandson Tyler in your giveaway>MoJo

fact: on Oct 8th (my Dads B-day) the war time 5 cent piece composed of 56% copper and 35% silver and 9 % manganese was introducted to eliminte nickel a critical war material (redbook)
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    Because nickel was considered a strategic material, it was totally eliminated from the composition of the Wartime nickel!!!

Thanks for the chance.

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First "P" mintmark on us coinage,.......Im sure somebody beat me to it tho..............

I never win squat anyway......image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Uhhhhhh, what else could there be? Uhhhhh, Jefferson's image is on the war nickels? Thanks for da chance.
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to have a UNC war nickel!

Thanks,
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    thanks for the chance. Love the pics of it. I can't think of anything more, maybe 1942 was the first year but all 1942's are not silver
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
    The mint mark was above the dome of Monticello, thank you for the chance.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    congrats and thanks for the chance.

as far as knowledge or trivia, i have none other than a personal story.

one day in junior high school back in the waning days of the nixon administration, several rolls of silver war nickels somehow became mixed into the change being given out at the cafeteria. lunch cost 45 cents in those days, so nickels were very frequently given in change. (lunch was hamburgers, tater tots, some fruit compote thingy and milk. every day. nothing like variety!)

it soon became widely known in the lunchroom that these silver nickels were in great supply that day, and several kids were offering up a dime in trade. the price soon went up to 15 cents, then a quarter before the supply ran dry.

i bought up a buck or so worth at a dime each (still have 'em, too!), but there were a couple of kids who had more money on them that day so were able to buy up even more.

it surprised me how many closet numismatists we had in our junior high school!

it also surprised me that no one thought to buy them all up at the source from the cash register. but we were to busy chasing down the kids who had them we didn't think to ask the lunch ladies if we could buy them out.

p.s. -- when i say "compote" i really mean a word that the board nannies won't let me post. same word as an alcoholic drink. and yes, it always had a maraschino cherry in it.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    congrats n thanks for the chance too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm game.

In 1942, there are both nickels that are silver and that are non-silver (switchover to silver occured in October 1942) >>

Also, different size mintmarks and locations!

Thanks for the chance!

TC71
  • Options
    There are 11 different wartime nickels, which are quite collectible

I got a bunch of them !
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are 11 different wartime nickels, which are quite collectible

I got a bunch of them ! >>

.....and you want more?

• Options
    Well it's noon here in Connecticut and the door bell just. A couple of friends came over to help me pack for the move and they are reviewing the entries...
    This is getting complicated ..
    The 1st person insists the winner be Mojoman because his birthday is oct 8th ... same as his dad's
    The 2nd insists on Utahcoin because she just loves his avatar..
    So to keep the peace and get my things moved I'm going to call it a tie and send each of them a PCGS MS66 1945S warnickel..

Mojoman gets the pictured coin because he entered some trivia, and entered first..
    UtahCoin gets the 2nd coin ..
    and I finally get my help to work and get moved..
    Please PM with shipping addresses and thanks for particiapating..
    Ken
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    wayy kool ken giving 2 away instead of 1image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Hi,Just a note to say the coin arrived and Tyler wanted to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH imageimage
    It is a great addition to his collection. GOD BLESS and take care,MoJo
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Hi,Just a note to say the coin arrived and Tyler wanted to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH imageimage
    It is a great addition to his collection. GOD BLESS and take care,MoJo >>

My pleasure... see a nickel can still put a smile on a youngsters faceimage