Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BunchOBull's Frank Thomas Collection

I've decided, with the unveiling of my website BigHurtHOF.com quickly approaching, I should follow the lead of many other board members and start a thread to show off various Frank Thomas pickups that I consider to be tough and/or interesting.

To start this thread, I'll show a recent pickup from eBay (not in hand):

2008 Blue Jays Team Signed Ball -
Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• Options
    Nice. Always enjoy looking at PC collections...looking forward to your future postings.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice. Always enjoy looking at PC collections...looking forward to your future postings. >>

I agree!
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I can't wait to see the rest, Ross. I would do the same with my player collection, but other than his mom I'm probably the only Adam Wainwright collector there is and it would bore everyone else to tears. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love seeing the player collector stuff, its cool how deeply some collections get. other than just cards.
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't wait to see the rest, Ross. I would do the same with my player collection, but other than his mom I'm probably the only Adam Wainwright collector there is and it would bore everyone else to tears. image

Chris >>

Chris,

You're picking up some primo Wain"right" cards as of late...they deserve a showcase.
  • Options
    Mail Call - Oct. 14th

1990 Coke White Sox Team Set SGA (stadium give away)...not the best condition in the world, but I was able to grab a whole set for 1/5th of the price of a PSA 8 version of this card...the set also includes a Sammy Sosa rookie. I kick myself repeatedly for not purchasing multiples of this card as a kid...I thought they were junk...I also kick myself for a BGS 9.5 I let slip away for a whole $35ish...

1993 Stadium Club 1st Day Issue...just to add to the pile...

And now, what I consider to be a very cool oddball item...

This is what those in the antiquated newspaper business call a "laser" photo...a very textured template for images featuring the White Sox...this is a 1993 Associated Press Photo File.
  • Options
    I also want to thank everyone for their kind remarks. I'm starting to pull my collection from it's hiding place...much of it has been stored since I left for college in 2001...I can share a few things now.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice stuff man

• Options
    Mail Call - Oct. 15th

A couple of 2006 Stadium Give Aways:

May 5, 2006

August 2006
    Frank is the 3rd magnet from the top...leaving this one sealed, but should have a single Thomas copy in the near future.
  • Options
  • Options
    I've had a few other cards come in, mostly Stadium Club Members Only sets that I'm busting up, but nothing overly substantial. Figured I'd share some oddballs from today's mail.

Mail Call - Oct. 17th

1991 Score Card sold at the Old Comiskey Park...8.5x11 bi-fold...

1991 Crack Jacks Topps Mini in package...I just thought it was kind of cool...

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, thanks for showing it off. I'm not a Thomas fan at all but, being a player collector, I love seeing the oddball stuff others pick up. Please keep the scans coming!

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    No bustage of the Cracker Jack...I needed a sealed one, so it filled a whole. Now I need a 1992 sealed.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.
  • Options
    You're inspiring me Ross.

Good stuff!
  • Options

<< <i>You're inspiring me Ross.

Good stuff! >>

when are we going to see the www.emmitt22smith.com website?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You're inspiring me Ross.

Good stuff! >>

when are we going to see the www.emmitt22smith.com website? >>

I have been really thinking about it Brian. I want to create a site and do my own Emmitt registry so I am not just limited to PSA cards.

I have lots of ideas image
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear it Matt...I think player collector sites are great because they're so informative for fellow collectors. The one thing I'm doing with BigHurtHOF.com that I *think* is a little different, is showcasing the stats and facts of Thomas career with a corresponding timeline of cards and memorabilia. I don't really know of any site that does that, at least for Thomas. I've been conducting interviews with minor league associates; I've been in contact with the Auburn U. sports department to track down all of Thomas' stats for both football and baseball….among other things. I think when I finally get everything written up (which is proving to be the most time-consuming aspect of the project), it will be a very informative anthology of all that is the Big Hurt. I don't have the quality of a collection that the big Thomas collectors have, but I also have different collecting goals. I think the quality of my site will be top notch though.

Beyond this, I’m building an e-store, moving away from eBay, that will be linked to the site. Hopefully, the two will generate traffic for one another.
  • Options
    Mail Call - Oct. 17th

cover:

pg 58:

While not the best condition in the world, it was extremely cheap and a different binding than the other version I own. Kind of a neat piece in my opinion.

Also, when I opened my mailbox today, I stuck my hand in and got RUBED!
    A very big thank you to Randy for supporting my addiction, this was a complete surprise and contained 2 cards I didn't have and 1 that was a major upgrade to the one I have stored from childhood. Thanks again Randy.

And, while I'm thanking people,

Cory (fur72) also sent me a sizeable stack of Thomas cards a couple of weeks back before I started this thread. I don't have any pictures though, as they've long been bagged, tagged, and placed in both numerical and alaphabetical order. Thank you again Cory.
  • Options
    I never realized that Frank Thomas played football in high school and college.

He must have been a sight to see at 6'4" 250lbs, kicking feild goals in hs image

Good stuff Ross!
  • Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    NICE BALL, BUT THOSE SIGS ARE BARELY LEGIBLE.
    THEY MUST HAVE SIGNED 100'S OF BALLS THAT DAY.
    HE NOW LIVES 5 MINUTES FROM ME IN LIBERTYVILLE, ILLINOIS!
  • Options

<< <i>NICE BALL, BUT THOSE SIGS ARE BARELY LEGIBLE.
    HE NOW LIVES 5 MINUTES FROM ME IN LIBERTYVILLE, ILLINOIS! >>

You wouldn't have to edit so much if you didn't say insulting stuff the first time around Mr Negativity.

• Options

I don't disagree, and the ball is missing Roy Halladay to boot! However, it was a whole $65 and from a season that he spent a very short time with the roster on the ball.
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He must have been a sight to see at 6'4" 250lbs, kicking feild goals in hs image >>

I was thinking the same thing!! He probably had 100lbs on most HS kickers.
  • Options

That's a nicely signed ball. What did you expect? Should they print their names next time or have someone type them up on the ball?
    BunchOBull - I can't wait to see more pics of the Big Hurt. I have a "wood" card of the Big Hurt that I just sent to PSA to have graded. I'll give that to you for your collection if you don't have it.
  • Options
    I very much appreciate the offer, when it comes back from the shop let me know and maybe we can work out some details! I actually really enjoy the wood cards, they're one of the areas of Thomas cards I collect...actually just picked up a 1996 Lumberjacks SAMPLE card on eBay yesterday.
  • Options

<< <i>I very much appreciate the offer, when it comes back from the shop let me know and maybe we can work out some details! I actually really enjoy the wood cards, they're one of the areas of Thomas cards I collect...actually just picked up a 1996 Lumberjacks SAMPLE card on eBay yesterday. >>

I forgot which one it is but it was numbered to 5000 and had a cool feel to it. I should have it in a couple weeks. I'll pm you to get your addy when it arrives and it's yours.

Brian
  • Options
    Very kind of your Brian, thank you.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

Did I ever show you this????
    I still have a few left still sealed
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Tom...you did...and if I remember correctly I purchased one from you I think...come to think of it, I need to find it and put it with the rest of my phone cards now that I have my collection with me. I may call on you in the future for another one.
  • Options
    Ok, unfortunately it's been a very slow week for deliveries...I have 15 or so packages in the waiting that decided not to show their faces thus far this week. One item in particular I'm very excited about and I had to pay for by check...I got an email from the seller claiming to not have received payment yet and that he's going out of town for a week...so it will be another 2 weeks before I see it. I hate sending payment via snail mail...

On a brighter note, I opened the mail box today and had a package I'd been waiting for and a surprise package from board member Bill (lsu)...

Mail Call - Oct. 24th

A couple of examples to add to my 1st Day Issue collection...one I needed, the other was an upgrade...I think that leaves just 1, maybe 2, that I don't have...no definitely 2.

imageimage

In other giving news, board member Bill (lsutigers1973) has decided to help fuel my addiction by donating to the cause. Some very cool cards that will be well cared for. I'm especially digging the Mike Rizzo autograph as he's the man who represented Big Frank back in the day...very cool card. Also, Donruss Diamond Kings and Studio Masterstrokes are two of my favorite insert runs to collect, I add to them whenever possible. Thank you kindly Bill.

edited because his name is Mike Rizzo...not Phil...I think my mind was thinking Phil Rizzuto.
  • Options
    BunchOBull
    -shoot me your address. I have some Frank Thomas cards coming in next week. Who knows, maybe a 1 of 1 card is in there.....

Brian
  • Options
    Having just moved, I'm having a problem with receiving some of my mail. My new address is confirmed, and I've received mail at it, but my eBay purchases seem to be trickling in very, very slowly. For this reason, mail call has been slim for me as of late. However, a few pieces have made their respective ways into my hands, and I'd like to showcase those for a moment.

First of all, the generosity of Brian (neenish) is well known throughout this forum because of his stimulus packages. While I didn't take part in that, he himself sought me out to tell me he had some cards he thought I might appreciate. He was right image. Oh, and he had the nerve to ship them Priority and wouldn't accept shipping money. I received a package this weekend, its contents were as follows:

Going along with my wooden card collection of Big Frank (and filling a hole I didn't have complete), this beautiful pop 1 1996 Leaf Limited Lumberjacks PSA 10 -

Amazingly, just this week I had the next card in my watched items on eBay, but it sold BIN before I made a decision as to purchase it or not. Beautiful '04 Flair Cuts and Glory autograph card w/ swatch, numbered 42/50 -

As you can see, two high end collectible items that any Frank Thomas fan would proudly display in their collection. I can't thank Brian enough for his gift, but thank you Brian, you are a unique character.

I've also had a couple of flawless transactions between fellow board members in recent days. First, I purchased this card from Chris (slantycouch) for a great deal and I appreciate his thinking of me when he got the card.

2004 Cracker Jacks Blue -

Also, from board member Keith (Goye), a sealed 1992 Cracker Jack prize to go with my humble CJ collection. This was actually an eBay purchase in which I also bought a cool '70s clother sticker featuring the Atl Braves. Keith threw in 2 more stickers with the lot and I thank him for his generosity:

Beyond these great items, I've had some phone cards arrive in the mail recently. I'll get those scanned and in a photobucket folder one of these days. The only other purchase that has arrived as of late is this card, numbered 15/15 that I was able to pick up for a steal. I don't typically collect cards like this, but when I have the chance to snag a limited production card for $10 delivered, I'll typically take it. 2007 Topps Co-Signers Silver Blue -

Again, thank yous to the board members for their generosity and ease of dealing with. I hope this next week brings some quality additions to share...if USPS and the eBay Gods only see it fit. Thank you for looking.
  • Options
    Wow, I wipe my scanner bed with a microfiber cloth and squirt it with canned air and it still picks up every spec of dust...
  • Options
    I found about 20 Thomas cards that your more than welcome to have.

Just PM me your address
  • Options
    Mail Call - Nov. 10th

While there were several other packages in the mail today, none that I've been really looking forward to other than this one...

Frank Thomas Big Hurt Pinball Owners Manual...this baby is stuffed full of game play, electrical diagrams, and schematics for that wonderful pinball machine...
    Frontimage
    Backimage

Sadly, I still need the machine, but it's out of my price point and storage ability for the time being. This book, however, much easier to store, and I've never seen one before. Not in great shape, but a real oddball that I'm glad to have.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Interesting....the pinball machine is at my workplace, but I do not think it is currently in working condition.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    If your workplace would ever want to sell it for a steal of a deal, please let me know image
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Are those '93 Stadium Club 1st Day Issues hard to find? or valuble? I have all of them

I have what I think is an amazing Frank Thomas collection, and would be interested in e-mailing you about some of what I think are some of the more harder to find Thomas's.

Thanks, you have some awesome cards!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Finally a chance to show off a Frank Thomas item that I wasn't sure I'd ever actually have in hand. It's taken awhile to get it.

Frank Thomas started the the 1989 season with the Gulf Coast League White Sox, but, he had such a stellar breakout, the White Sox organization quickly promoted him to the Florida State League's Sarasota White Sox (Single A) after just 17 games. In my opinion the 55 games he played with Sarasota gave him the experience needed to be the dominant hitter at both Birmingham and with Chicago in the 1990 season. His stats at Sarasota show a true period of professional development that his previous statistics do not.

Mail Call Nov. 14th -

1989 Sarasota White Sox Stadium Give Away Team Photo

To my knowledge, there are no other officially released items from his time at Sarasota with Big Frank's likeness. There may be an SGA sports card, but I can't confirm this. I'm also searching for images of Frank with the Gulf Coast League affiliate.

Anyway, this is a huge pick up for me and it's in amazing shape to be a 20 year old SGA.
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Wow!

Congrats!!!
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally a chance to show off a Frank Thomas item that I wasn't sure I'd ever actually have in hand. It's taken awhile to get it.

Frank Thomas started the the 1989 season with the Gulf Coast League White Sox, but, he had such a stellar breakout, the White Sox organization quickly promoted him to the Florida State League's Sarasota White Sox (Single A) after just 17 games. In my opinion the 55 games he played with Sarasota gave him the experience needed to be the dominant hitter at both Birmingham and with Chicago in the 1990 season. His stats at Sarasota show a true period of professional development that his previous statistics do not.

Mail Call Nov. 14th -

1989 Sarasota White Sox Stadium Give Away Team Photo

To my knowledge, there are no other officially released items from his time at Sarasota with Big Frank's likeness. There may be an SGA sports card, but I can't confirm this. I'm also searching for images of Frank with the Gulf Coast League affiliate.

Anyway, this is a huge pick up for me and it's in amazing shape to be a 20 year old SGA. >>

Wow! Big Frank's not so big. Is he standing in a hole or something? The guys in the middle of the 2nd row must be standing on a step like the guys in the back row.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Neat item. It looks like Thomas is stepped a couple feet back from the rest of the row, but even then he appears small...maybe he is in a depression or something.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Haha, when I first learned of this item's existence, I thought it was fake because the guy identified as "Frank" looked so small compared to the gentleman on his right. Apparently there were risers set up for the back row and much of the middle row. Frank just happened to be the first guy in the middle not to be standing on the risers. The slope of the mound behind them might be playing a part in the optical illusion as well.