Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

$$$ Would CA$H prize encourage set building?? $$$

If there was a substantial cash prize for the best set in a particualr category, would this encourage anyone to play and try to build the best set?

Example - New set so it is fair for all. 2008 Bowman Sterling Football or baseball or whatever.

How much would the prize have to be to encourage interest in collecting the set? $500, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000, $5,000.......???

Prize winner would be the best set at the close of the registry on June 30, 2009. The 2009 top set would be the winner.

Comments

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be a pretty neat thing PSA did for advertising and for sales. Each year they could team up with perhaps Bowman or Topps and split the prize for the number one set.

It would need to be a new set and one that would be very condition sensitive and would be a great set in the future for rookies. IE Bowman products.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Who's going to judge the sets? It certainly can't be based on the PSA Registry. To many label buyers in there. The top set based on PSA Registry is NOT necessarily the Best set card wise. It is simplely the best Set label wise. Any set in the top five could easily be the best set card wise depending on wheather the buyer bought the cards, or just bought the flips.
  • Options
    You are correct about th flips. Same thing happens over on the PCGS sets with the coins. Someone breaks a coin out for regrade and keeps the flip. This artificially puts an extra graded itme in the registry that is the same coin. The winning set would have to be inspected and every card and every PSA cert # be produced.
  • Options

<< <i>You are correct about th flips. Same thing happens over on the PCGS sets with the coins. Someone breaks a coin out for regrade and keeps the flip. This artificially puts an extra graded itme in the registry that is the same coin. The winning set would have to be inspected and every card and every PSA cert # be produced. >>

Since we do not do that now with any set, I would not see any reason to start.

I think this is a good ideal. Personally, I would not collect the set because of the award, it would have to have something else going for it. Like the good RC crop football has this year. I do imagine a couple might collect just for the prize.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Why offer cash if you're PSA? They send out worthless certificates
    annually that say Best of the Registry and that seems to drive enough
    collectors already. From our point of view, cash would certainly be
    nice but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options

<< <i>Why offer cash if you're PSA? They send out worthless certificates
    annually that say Best of the Registry and that seems to drive enough
    collectors already. From our point of view, cash would certainly be
    nice but I don't see it happening anytime soon. >>

I think the point of the post/cash was to try to get people to collect a newly released set they likely would not otherwise, rather then sets in general. Most collectors are like you (and me), they would rather collect PSA 1970s or 1980s cards, then 2008/09.

Edit to add: I like the ideal with Bowman or Topps sponsorship. Using the example, 2008 Bowman Sterling, besides getting a small cash prize, Topps could open its archives and give you some proofs or the like. It likely would not effect my collecting desires, but I think the ideal has some merit.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt your idea would work.

You need to keep in mind that there are multi-millionaires (I know of 3), that collect, not to mention ballplayers who have tons of $$ to spend. To these folks, a $1k or $10k prize has little impact, AND, they could easily outbid almost anyone should they feel the urge to compete. There is no level playing field when those that might compete in any competition can put in "top all" bids.