Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

3000 Hit Club + 500 HR Club Set

I'm new to the set registry forum, and have a few questions:

I saw the HOF set and realize since it didn't require that all cards be rookie cards, does that mean I can register a collection in the HOF set with different cards than others?

I have been thinking about starting a less prestige set: A card for each member of the 3000 hit club and 500 hr club. Due to financial constraint, I am thinking about making the requirement (for myself) to collect not the rookie or best cards for each player. Instead, I look for the year that player reached either 3000 hits or 500 hrs. There are some years (I could be wrong on this) where a player reached a milestone where no cards were made: Paul Waner 1942. Then I will substitute with a different year.

Will PSA allow a set as such to be registered? How do I go about requesting PSA to list a unique set with a different "theme"?

Thanks.
Fred

Comments

• Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    How about requiring the rookie cards for only the three players who have accomplished both feats?

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    That's a good idea Mike. As I look at the list, most of the cards seem pretty easy to get (and fairly cheap). The most challenging will be the early 3000 club members: Cap Anson (1894), Wagner and Lajoie (1914), which I may substitute with 1940 Playball instead of 1914 Cracker Jack, and upgrade it later, and Cobb 1921. The Tris Speaker and Eddie Collins 1925 can be found in PSA 6 '33 Goudey for about $200. As for the rest, I aim at getting PSA 7s, and it seems to be readily available, plus it won't be expensive at all. But adding rookies of Aaron, Mays (and Eddie Murray) will make it more difficult/challenging.

Any ideas on the specifics in requesting this to be added in the set registry?

Thanks.
    Fred
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    There is a form for requesting sets to be registered, but perhaps due to the "special" nature of your request, e-mailing BJ directly might be helpful.

On another note, do you think others will try and collect this set with the same parameters as you? If so, great. If not, why would you like it registered?

It could be very easy, for example, to just add your set to the HOF set -- and spell out in "Owner's Comments" what you've done and why you've done it. The set registry is a great thing -- but if everyone has a collection that is so unique that no one else collects it, one almost must ask what the point of having a separate registry for it is.

Best of luck with your collection. It sounds neat.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Good point Mikeschmidt. I didn't think about adding comments, as I have seen owner's comments before. I think I will just add it in the HOF set as you suggested, because all members are HOFers, even some who aren't official yet, but are shoe-ins due to their accomplishments.

I thought that all sets have to be standard and what PSA considers an "official" set. Then after seeing the HOF set, I realized it may not have to be standard. You brought up a good point that if everyone wants to register their unique set, it can be a nightmare. 3000 hit club + 500 hr certainly falls under the HOF registry.

Fred