Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Down $75 an Oz?

2»

Comments

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    It doesn't really matter since the government stopped doing money supply calculations a few years ago. NO one even reports M1, 2 or 3 anymore.

You guys are 2 funny sometimes image
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    coalporter, this is from the federal reserve bank of new york's web site....

"Money Supply Measures
    The Federal Reserve publishes weekly and monthly data on two money supply measures M1 and M2. The money supply data, which the Fed reports at 4:30 p.m. every Thursday, appear in some Friday newspapers, and they are available online as well. The Fed publishes measures of large time deposits on a quarterly basis in the Flow of Funds Accounts statistical release."

M3 is no longer reported.

• Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 836 ✭✭✭
    money as debt

How about this?
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options

<< <i>the commodity markets are zero sum.

the stock market is not zero sum.

in the stock market, all investors can make money and all can lose money.

in commodities, one must lose for another to gain. >>

That's exactly the way I understand it.

Times may be crazy now, but overall, that's the way it works.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    moneyLA,
    When the fed fires up the printing press and monetizes debt, which figure (M1, 2, or 3) is affected?
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    You buy a share of GM for $60.

Later, you sell the share for $30.

YOUR seller still has the "extra" $30, it has not disappeared.

That is STRAIGHT from the "game theory concepts" that illustrate what "zero sum" actually means.

///////////////////

Gordon Gekko speaks:

Bud Fox: How much is enough?

Gordon Gekko: It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses.
    Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I LOVE these threads.

I get to learn from 'experts', and also laugh when I re-read the title and think,"How did we get here from there?" image

Oh yeah, big biz had to come up with 'cash' (because they had 'paper'?) & had to sell off gold to come up with it.....right?
    SO.......these business' where dealing in commodities, & that was not a 'no sum' proposition......right?

I'm so confused! image
  • Options
    proof collection... when the FED fires up the printing presses, all M should be affected, M1 M2 and M3.

• Options

<< <i>proof collection:

the money went poof, its gone forever.

the stock market differs from commodity markets which is a zero sum game.

in the stock market, everyone can lose, and everyone can win.

but these days, everyone is losing.

if everyone holds on to their stocks, but prices drop, everyone loses even if not one share changes hands.

example: there are 100 shareholders each with one share of google at 400, the next day the bid on google drops to 300. everyone has lost a total of 10,000 without one share changing hands. >>

If everyone held their stocks, the price would not drop. The market would be at a standstill, or effectively there would be no "market".

For every seller there is a buyer and vice versa. The money doesn't disappear, it changes from hands and/or form.