Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

61-63 Post Cereal advice needed

I'm strongly inclined to start collecting these 3 sets in high end raw condition. I love the cards and the set sizes are manageable.

Any advice on how to start? Most lots on eBay are pretty rough with the cards trimmed right into the colored borders. Panels are too expensive.

Anyone tackled these sets before?

Thanks,

Mark

"Molon Labe"

Comments

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    all the ones i have are in rough shape too markimage
    edit tosay- are there any on the registy that hi grade mark? ive never looked,but always liked the looks of em, i just got few clunkers that i sent out ttm
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Mantle that's rough as hell with a pin hole in it.

What is that worth?
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I suggest you get in contact with higradecards10 on ebay...As Mr. Spence buys from him.........
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>I'm strongly inclined to start collecting these 3 sets in high end raw condition. I love the cards and the set sizes are manageable.

Any advice on how to start? Most lots on eBay are pretty rough with the cards trimmed right into the colored borders. Panels are too expensive.

Anyone tackled these sets before?

Thanks,

Mark >>

Hi Mark,

very tough sets to gather in high grade without costing a fortune.

all 3 have a minimum of 200 cards.

the 61 set to me is the toughest overall with all the variations, ie. box, company, Minneapolis, Minnesota etc).

the Mantles, like in most sets, are the key cards and are very expensive in high grades.

the 63 Mantle is almost impossible to find with a grade other than "0 or Authentic.

I'm pretty sure that another board member, Oakesy25, collects and/or sells a lot of Post Cereal cards.

Good luck,

PoppaJ

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. Some of those SP's in ANY condition will be a chore to find. I looked for 2 years trying to find a 1963 Post Curt Flood for my Cardinals team set. I finally found one on Ebay in VG-EX. I think I had to around $60 and I thought it was a steal.

Shane

• MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I have started collecting 61s and have these thoughts.

The stars are MUCH MUCH easier to find graded. You can find Mantles, Aarons and Mays cards all day long graded 6 - 7. Eights and above command pretty hefty premiums right now but will go down I assume as pops go up.

Some commons are much harder to find and command HUGE premiums. I am building a 61 Post Pirates team set and the Wilmer Mizell (not included in the Topps set that year) just sold over $300 in a PSA 8 shape. That is more than most HOFs will sell for.

If you want to register you set or compete on the registry be prepared to buy 2 of every card as the registry requires you to have both the perforated and hand cut versions. This is the reason why I won't start a registry. They really need to have a basic set where you only need one of each card and the hand cuts get a premium over perforated and a master set where you need both variations.

If I was you I would start out buying the HOFs first, already graded and work on the commons later as their pops increase.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That's all good advice and much appreciated.

I'm in no hurry, so I don't mind waiting...but maybe I should limit myself to just one year!

"Molon Labe"

I'm slowly picking up nice raw cards. These 2 came today:

"Molon Labe"

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice cards. Good luck on your quest. Those short prints are going to be very, very tough.

Shane

• Sweet pick ups SidePocket!! Oakesy is definitely the person that you want to get a hold of if you are looking for higher grade Post or Jell-O cards.
    Yes, you're right. No names like Stobbs, Estrada etc (from the 61 set) go for crazy $. But I'm going to do the set mostly raw, so I can save on condition to some extent.

"Molon Labe"

A few more I've bought - I think I may lean towards the hand cut wherever I can, the perforated ones don't seem as bright.

"Molon Labe"

• The nice thing about Post cards is that you don't have to worry about them being trimmed.