Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 8.5 - Test Of The Economy?

Back on August 14, 2008 a 1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 8.5 sold for $1,226.55.

Now, there is another 1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 8.5 up for sale. It's currently at $810.00 with just under four (4) days to ago.

With the economy hurting, and card prices apparently dropping across the board, I'm wondering where the second Seaver will end up at. Also, it may be just scanning, but it appears that the second Seaver is in better condition. Any guesses?

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S.
Seaver No.1

Seaver No. 2

Comments

• Most of the heaviest bidding for vintage is in the last few mintues of any auction. I think you'll have to wait and see for your answer.

• << <i>Most of the heaviest bidding for vintage is in the last few mintues of any auction. I think you'll have to wait and see for your answer. >>

I don't know why, but I don't think it is so much a test of the economy, but how many people really want it now more than the other...
    I think the economy may play a bigger role on lower end staple cards, but on this higher end stuff, it's more a duel of who needs it now...
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    WOW!!

The second Seaver is pretty awesome!
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    With these past few weeks being so tough on people from stocks, retirement funds to overall threat of recession.....
    I noticed a lot of high end cards being offered for sale.

High end graded cards are selling on the lower end of the VCP scale and everything else is taking a downturn or not even selling, raw cards, cases/boxes/packs.

One thing I noticed are quite a bit of set registry breaks...or vintage set breaks lately.

These are all assumptions based on my followings lately.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    well i just got a psa t3 for half of what i used to see similiar items go for.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's still way too early in the auction but it's not debatable that this is, or will be soon, a buyer's market...and will be in a bigtime way. I think prices for certain types of collectables will drop farther than many will expect right now. It could get ugly in the collectables market...real ugly for those who need to sell.
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    With that said, I really don't think it'll get too bad for the high profile vintage cards...I really don't..there will be enough opportunistic buyers in the market who will still nail those good cards for a fair price.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    For anyone who sold around the time of 9/11 it was brutal for about 6 months after that date. I would not sell high end until things start to turn around a little. It got really bad however during that time, I remember certain cards bringing 50% of normal sell rates and I still think PSA 9s in the 60s never recovered after 9/11.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • I filled my truck up yesterday for only $3.27 a gallon.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    cycles, baby......catch a falling star......
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Lost every auction last night
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>Lost every auction last night >>

I haven't noticed any difference as a bidder or a seller either.
  • I filled up yesterday for $2.95 a gallon image the one good thing about a crumbling stock market and falling oil prices. also time to fill up for the winter home heating oil!
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I am just recently getting back into collecting and I've jumped back in a big way by buying a few Mantles and '61 set with graded stars, etc...
    It would seem that most of the higher end stuff won't take much of a beating and the lower end stuff won't take as much of a beating as other items that the average joe needs everyday. I'm basically saying that most buyers in the card market are generally better off than the buyers of other items that might suffer more from the slumping economy. Thoughts?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I filled up yesterday for $2.95 a gallon image the one good thing about a crumbling stock market and falling oil prices. also time to fill up for the winter home heating oil! >>

Paid $2.68 this morning (at Kroger after $0.50 discount).image
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the heaviest bidding for vintage is in the last few mintues of any auction. I think you'll have to wait and see for your answer. >>

Exactly. Where it's at now means nothing.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    With four days to go, Ebay experience suggests it could wind up even higher. So your post about the "economy" is probably incorrect. But that's ok, keep feeding the panic. It'll only help me in my buying spree.

ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Yea I agree with Mr. Burgundy. I have lost my last three high grade mid 50's and 60's HOF RC auction with bids in at 10% above VCP. I don't see any slow down at all on high grade vintage, and expect this card to end above the last Seaver PSA 8.5 auction price.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i think cardboard is relatively "unaffected" IMHO.

i predict that seaver goes for (at least) $1100.00

j
    RIP GURU
  • rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With four days to go, Ebay experience suggests it could wind up even higher. So your post about the "economy" is probably incorrect. But that's ok, keep feeding the panic. It'll only help me in my buying spree.

ron >>

True story.
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Probably higher..................
  • apparently NO effect..at least on this card.
  • The high grade vintage market will be volatile. It only takes a small increase in supply to lower prices. If a pop 2 goes to 7 or 8, you're going to lose money.

Vintage packs and boxes are still holding up well, say 80's opc hockey. Funny the S&P is down 40%, the Ibanks can go down by 90%, but cardboard holds up better than some stock certificates.

Even a "junk box" like 79/80 Topps basketball is still $250. It was a $125 in the mid 90's. But the DOW is only 2,000, 2,500 points higher than where it was in 96.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    So the buyer (dnn1921) of the first 1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 8.5 for $1226.55 must have saw the second 1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 8.5 sell for $1,550.00 because the first Seaver is up for auction here.

Only problem (and maybe it's no problem at all), is that there are two (2) auctions for a 1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 7 here and here and this auction for an incredible looking 1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 9. That is one sharp looking card.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. I have this 1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 9 going for $2,357.00 on Memory Lane. I suspect the current auction for the PSA 9 will greatly exceed that.

Hi Gonblott,

Congratulations on the 1967 Seaver. After Maddux, Seaver is my favorite pitcher of all-time. So while both Seavers are graded PSA 8.5, you say the second PSA 8.5 looks better? Do you think you'll unload BOTH Seavers and go for the PSA 9? I must say that the PSA 9 looks as good as (or even better) than this PSA 10 I have on file. I'm not a gambling man, but that PSA 9 looks like it might be worth a Review Service or a Crack and Resubmit.

/s/ JackWESQ

The 9 has more crisp color than the 8.5
  • JackWESQ,

Are you in the restaurant business?
    Congratulations, I submitted at $1388.95, but was on a flight from ATL to LA so didnt get a chance to see it close. Nice Card!

Editted: To correct my awful spelling
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭
    Weak Economy? I bid strong prices in the recent MileHigh auction and was outbid.
    Please post a scan of the back of both cards.

How much you asking Jack?
    Dear Gonblott,

My apologies for the confusion. I don't own either the of the Seaver Rookies in PSA 9 or PSA 10. I just have those images saved on my hard drive so that if I am ever in the market for one of those cards, I can reference those images and their final selling prices. However, the PSA 9 Seaver rookie is up for auction right now on ebay.

1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 9

/s/ JackWESQ

<< <i>Dear Gonblott,

My apologies for the confusion. I don't own either the of the Seaver Rookies in PSA 9 or PSA 10. I just have those images saved on my hard drive so that if I am ever in the market for one of those cards, I can reference those images and their final selling prices. However, the PSA 9 Seaver rookie is up for auction right now on ebay.

1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 9

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Thanks for the link! image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Is it me or is that right border on the MH 9 narrow?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • "Weak Economy? I bid strong prices in the recent MileHigh auction and was outbid. "

Im sure the folks who outbid you arent worried about the economy; howerve 90% of the rest of us are.

P.s. curious as to why the auction is ending at 3pm on a sunday afternoon?
    Yea agreed, I just inquired with a seller about a PSA 8 Carew that has a BIN for $700. I got a response back from the seller that Carew PSA 8 bring 700-800 all day long at auction plus buyers premium. One MASTRO acution did close for $780, and aside from that one auction, the last 20 Carew PSA 8's that closed the highest that card has sold for is $521. I have to wonder why some of these guys even bother putting their cards up, as they are priced so far over AVG selling price, that only someone that frankly has more money than sense, is going to bother to purchase.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Is there an illusion on the PSA 10 , because it looks to me like it has a tilt.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
    Gonblott, Was there $400 difference between the Seaver you just sold and the Seaver you purchased last Sunday?
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭
    Final price of the Seaver- $3,206.00.

I also see 707 has one up for $4500. It's probably high but I remember they used to offer them for $2800 and that was considered high.