Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why cant PCGS grade tokens?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
Update - Nikki from NGC contacted me and is going to correct everything for me ASAP.

I sent 5 tokens in under the early bird. After waiting and waiting and waiting they finally come back. But as I a look at them I notice a mistake then another. 4 of the 5 have mistakes and I am not talking grading.

On the 1907 Jamestowns. 344 is silver and 347 is Gilt. They have it backwards. It is not as if they were bronze and copper which would be hard to differentiate.
On the Houck's Counterstamp I asked for the counterstamp to be displayed right side up - did they do it - nope!
Then I notice on the Houck's Counterstamp that they have it labeled as a 1795 Half. It is a 1832 - not even close
On the William Penn they put it in an edge view - well I did not ask for it and there is no edge lettering or even a design to view.
You would think that if they were going to use an edge view holder they would of placed it on the Capped Bust which does have edge lettering

PCGS makes mistakes as well but after 300+ submissions I can still count them on one hand.

I cant wait to receive my economy submission from them now - maybe I will get it by next year.

Oh and I have no idea how they graded the Willaim Penn as only a 62

Well that is my rant. I normally dont vent like this but I thought this was pretty bad.

Comments

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Wow, that is bad. image Looks like Quality Control was asleep at the wheel.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That is REALLY bad.

Sorry to see that image

BUT, those are some nice tokens image
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Just send them back with a explantion, they will fix and give you more certs for freebies. NGC, PCGS, ICG they are all the same. HUMAN.

Also so nice f-ing coins/tokens you have there my friend.image
  • Options
    Don't blame you for being upset. That's pretty lame! But, Yup. What YaHa said...

tydye, is that a 1964 ford galaxy? Dang, I wish I could see your car collection in person. Beautiful!
  • Options
    Drink more Kool Aid.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Error is human,,,,,,,

To forgive is divine,,,,,,, image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call NGC and give them a chance to make it right.

That silver Jamestown looks really cool, anyway.

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

both services make stupid mistakes, that slide past QC all the time. I have a 1955 PCGS proof set, in which 4 of the 5 coins have the wrong denomination typed on the slab. good eyes there! if it bothers you, send them back and they'll fix it.

• Options

Exactly how long did it take at NGC ?

A couple yrs ago I sent in a bulk submission of reg coins to NGC - I am not exagerating - It took them almost 4 mths. The runaround was out of this world

I now have 16 tokens I sent last week, I guess I should just forget about them til next christmas. I shouldn't be too anxious to get them back since I'm gonna be so frustrated at seeing all the misattributions. Geez
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Drink more Kool Aid. >>

image or ;
    Crack it out and re-submit it until they get it right

• Options
    I just received back an economy and modern submission's from NGC and it took around the stated times.....even quicker for the economy and this was like 60 coins?

Not one had a labeling error but I can understand why you are upset as I have had a few errors here and there on other submissions.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I typically run about a 10% error rate on my tokens/medals from NGC. I call them and send it back and they make it all right. They should be able to do better than that though, I agree.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I have sent thousands of coins to PCGS over the years and can count on one hand how many mechanical errors they have made.

I agree it would be nice if they came out with a specific holder for tokens and started grading them.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I am very easy going and forgiving. But if I had an 80% error rate at my job I am sure I would be fired and probably sued. I am going to send them back but am going to wait until the others arrive
    Took about 2 months or so for this submission.

Pakasmom - yes it is a 64 Galaxie. It was my first collector car and would probably be the last one I would ever sell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file