Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Virgil Trucks Fetish?

Twelve 1959 PSA 8 Virgil Trucks cards have sold in the last four months. Anthjos has bought eight of them. I wonder what the fascination is.

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know anything about ebay seller ANTHJOS? He's always buying up graded 1959 topps particularly higher grade 7-9 using ebay id txxh. I've traced many pruchases from this buyer and are later sold under the ANTHJOS id. I do not have an issue with this. My concern is in looking at some past transactions many of these cards are selling at a loss. So I'm just wondering if there is anything else at play? Typically his auctions have low bid activity so I'm wondering if people know something I do not. Here are 2 transactions to review:

Bob Gibson PSA 8 cert 50057753 bought on 9/29/09 as txxh for 747.00 sold on 12/18/09 for 709.95

Mickey Mantle PSA 7 cert 14317442 bought on 7/14/09 as txxh for 646.56 sold on 9/1/09 for 557.00.

I know card prices are sliding but why would somone continue to buy and sell at a loss?

Currently working on 1953 & 1957 Topps Baseball Set
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Heh. In 2008, I bought a graded 1974 common from him on Ebay for $5.14/dlvd. A year later I put it up for auction, and he won it.... for $7.02/dlvd.

He's bought from me a few times, and I've bought from him a few times. Never any problems.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Twelve 1959 PSA 8 Virgil Trucks cards have sold in the last four months. Anthjos has bought eight of them. I wonder what the fascination is. >>

And not even an offer on my 8.5. Go figure.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Could be a few reasons. One, he wants the best 8 out there ( he sells the other ones)

Two he is related to the guy. Three he likes to rub his body with them.

I guess we could email him and ask.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I know card prices are sliding but why would somone continue to buy and sell at a loss?

lol he makes it up in volume.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i believe they call it dabbling.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I know Chris (anthjos ) and have purchased many times from him , on ebay and off , as he sometimes has some very nice stuff.

He could be looking to flip a card or two.IMHO.--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    According to VCP, he's been involved with every 1959 8.5 Virgil Trucks sold on eBay. He bought the first two sold, and has been the seller of the last four.

Fetish? It's possible... more likely he's playing the crack and sub game, I'm sure he's bumped a few to offset any loses from reselling the duds.
    Matt

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 8.5 is a personal sub, so he has no prior affiliation to it. Maybe that's why he's staying away?
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Derek Trucks has deep pockets
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... more likely he's playing the crack and sub game, I'm sure he's bumped a few to offset any loses from reselling the duds. >>

That would be my guess.
  • Options

<< <i>My 8.5 is a personal sub, so he has no prior affiliation to it. Maybe that's why he's staying away? >>

If he is doing the crack and resub game then that is probably why he is staying away. Yours has already been "bumped"

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I Never have a problem with him.He has purchased many of my low grade 59s.I have purchased several cards from him.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I have had several transactions with him-never a problem (except that he has deeper pockets than I do).