Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The MPL Posse is needed for another 1916..Mount Up!

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Kind of leaning towards not a matte because of what I can see from those pics. Reported.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sent this today:

As these coins sometimes confuse the experts, I am happy to tell you that this coin is not confusing at all. This coin is most assuredly NOT an Matte Proof Lincoln. It is not struck with Proof dies. The rims are all wrong. It has been Re-toned. It is not centered properly. The reverse field to rim height is all wrong. If you look closely at your coin, you will notice that the edges are probably not squared, but slightly rounded, with slight ejection marks from the high-speed manufacturing process. Even slight rounding and vertical lines is indicative of a Business Strike. The edges of a true Matte Proof will not leave you in question. They are simply so smooth and perfectly squared that the coin might have a high chance of landing on its edge when you flip it. Unless you are perfectly sure, you should pull your listing.

Sincerely,
    Matt
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (repost from other forum)

I'm going to say "not"

Opinion based on pictures of course, but blown up 400% on my screen I see no evidence at all of the diagnostic line above URIBUS on the reverse. On the same view, the rims, especially on the 2 to 5 o'clock area, are very rounded.

The surfaces are "lumpy", not at all like the myriad granulated surface on a matte.

Lots of 16 Biz strikes out there.....not many matties.

I never trust ebay adds with **LOTS** of text that actually say nothing at all about the item, this is a prime example.

(edited to add)

I emailed the seller the following:

HI, If I buy this, and then submit it to ANACS for grading at quickest turnaround, and they say it is NOT a matte proof, will you let me return it for full auction price minus shipping? thanks

I will post the reply
  • Options
    My eye just says no. But analytically, the reverse 6:00 is the cleanest example of a business rim. Also, when blown up to 150X, there are no die lines around "1916", which I have seen on the '16s I've examined. Also, as Ambro mentions, the diagnostic reverse rim lining around PLURIBUS is absent. All factors taken together = not likely matte.

Ask the seller to submit for certification, per usual.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like we have a consensus going. This is another reason why I do not like secret bidding. You can not contact those bidders to warn them when the seller makes no effort to do so. At least it’s not a done deal with any return.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Auction removed.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!