Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Oh and Nam is just a trouble maker.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    detroit- VCP is the modern day equivalent of Beckett circa 1987-1993. Collectors want to know what their cards are "worth" and they want some kind of starting point with cards they're looking to buy. Dealers want to know how to price their cards; in many cases they are just as clueless as collectors. Generally speaking, most people are too lazy to do their own research so they rely on somebody else to do it for them.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yet the very fact that VCP is utilized by collectors (not dealers) >>

Who said dealers don't use the service. I have seen Levi, Mastro logged into VCP. >>

The very fact that VCP is utilized by collectors argues for the point I was trying to make. Dealers, obviously, use this service too, but the fact that they use it does not argue for my point.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Boo said so it must be true.

IMO VCP gives information and if used can be beneficial.

As for the question as to all PSA 5's are not created equal, I was under the impression VCP showed
    a picture of the cards?

I personally do not use the service as I have an idea as to what I collect should go for.

I also know, or hope I know what I sell should go for too.

Steve >>

And a big 'thank you' to you, Steve, for another one of your trademark volleys full of keen and invaluable insights.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I collect cards from a span of 85 years, I do not have the time to research ended auctions. I rarely search for one card at a sitting, for example if I'm on the ebay I'll search for a 56 Luis Aparico (sometimes using ebay's search, sometimes VCP's) if I find nothing to my liking, I may look for a 68 Tony Perez, and/or a 69 Tom Seaver, and/or a 33 Rogers Hornsby, and on and on. I use it because I lack time and focus to track all this stuff myself. I'm an impulse/opportunity buyer ( I buy frequently here on the BST and other sites as well, and sometimes I need the info quickly to beat someone to the punch). I don't mind paying more than VCP on certain things that don't come up often, but if VCP shows frequent auctions for a particular card I want, I will set my bid very close to the average. I do this because I find myself as the underbidder frequently and I figure the other guy is using VCP as well, so I'll keep the avg. near it's present level. I know my thinking will be illogical or flawed to many of you, but that's my story.

Edited to add: Free Randy
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

And a big 'thank you' to you, Steve, for another one of your trademark volleys full of keen and invaluable insights.

What? No analogy?

Oh you're welcome.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yet the very fact that VCP is utilized by collectors (not dealers) >>

Who said dealers don't use the service. I have seen Levi, Mastro logged into VCP. >>

I wonder what kind of multiplier Levi uses? image
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    VCP's main use is to track the prices of cards for those who dont have the time, willingness, motivation and/or experience to do so (think of the novice, lazy or busy collector).

It also allows for time trend analysis, as they show auction prices before the 30 day search limit that Ebay offers as well as collects information from other online auction sites that you may not be aware of (although, their listings are not complete, as there are a few smaller auction houses that are not (or were not, so time trend analysis for certain auction houses are not provided, giving incomplete information) tracked).

It also allows for between grade, within set and between set analyses...information that may require a lot of time to gather

Simply put, it is a warehouse of market prices for cards. This information can be gathered independently, but it takes more time and motivation to do so. The past auction prices for pre 30 days on ebay may be their most attractive feature. But, if you feel that the cards you are interested in purchasing are either so volatile or so static in price that historic prices dont matter, then this function has no advantage.

Essentially, think of VCP as the new, more reliable price guide. Rather than citing SMR or Beckett, one would cite VCP.

Is it the most ideal service? I think theoretically it can be. But, unfortunately, due to technical glitches and, more importantly, the inability to capture the entire market (private sales, for instance), i dont think it is.

• Options
    For some reason I was expecting Bobby's avatar to say "Get outta here, will ya?".