Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1972 Topps Football

Congratulations to Carlos Aponte for his move up to first place in the 1972 Topps Football Set Registry. Two questions: (1) besides the '65 Tall Boys, is there any more of a classic football set than the 1972 Topps? (I'm a little biased on this one) and (2) can anyone explain the proliferation of PSA 10 1972 L.C. Greenwoods?

The real action will take place when the '72 set is weighted. Those high numbers are absolute beasts . . .
POTD = 09/03/2003

Comments

• carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Hey Doc,

Thanks...And...Welcome to the board and the 1972 Topps Football registry.

As for the L.C. Greenwood card????????????????????????????????????

I bought mine at a great price and now know why. They are everywhere. But still a 10 is a 10 and the card looks great.

When and if this set ever gets weighted watch out for Gansta Jayson's set. He has a ton of nice HIGH numbers and will be getting them graded real soon. I'm trying to get all of series 1 and 2 done before he blows me away with the HIGH numbers. I got a couple off him but he is just sitting on them and won't sell me anymore.

Sorry I could touch on question #1 but to me the 1972 set is the only football set that I like.

Again, Welcome.

Carlos
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I am sure that the story of the Greenwood card is similar to that of the 1968 Topps Don Drysdale (which I refuse to discuss anymore!)

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Hey Carlos,

First, all of your sets are very impressive. Congrats. Second, I have started my own 72 Football set which I plan on building VERY slowly. I have a few low # PSA 8's so I think to start with that will be my goal (8 or better). Got any advice, tips, extra 8's for sale or trade? Thanks,

Rob
    Rob,

There is not much advice I can give you about the 1972 football set. I only admired it from a far. What I have noticed at card shows is there are some of these cards out there in raw form that would look great slabbed. Check out your local dealer or card show and ask the to dust off some of the 1972 Topps Football Commons. They have them and would unload them at a fair price. With PSA running the 70's special this month you can't go wrong. So get out there and get those cards.

Carlos
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Carlos,

Thanks. I tried the card shop approach last week-end (I live near Columbus, OH). One nice shop had at least 100 72's and everyone I picked out he looked up in Beckett and quoted the high value, no condition exceptions whatsoever. I didn't have a 10x loop with me so I didn't want to take any chances on spending too much for raw cards that wouldn't come back at least 8. I plan on returning this week-end to try again more prepared. By the way, what would you suggest a fair price is for any raw low # common I think could get an 8? His high book prices seemed un-fair but what do I know? Thanks again!
    I've been getting some real nice Series 1 & 2 commons for $.50 each and HIGH # for about $10.00

Carlos
  • I wonder if a customer of mine will be registering his '72 football set. He must have an incredible set by now as it was built straight from wax boxes. I sold him two high number wax boxes and they weren't the first hi # boxes he had owned. He was selling quite a few PSA 9 duplicates.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
    69topps8>

As is the case with most sets listed on the registry, with a few exceptions, some of the best collections have NOT been listed.

Carlos
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Doctor, doctor, please . . . tell me how does one get a combination Vietnamese and Dutch name?
  • You are apparently not a Simpsons fan, Mr. Vargha: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk was one of the aliases of Lionel Hutz, Esq., America's most famous animated lawyer, with the voice of the late, great Phil Hartman.

I'm a Simpsons fan and a baseball card collector . . . doesn't get much geekier than that.image
    POTD = 09/03/2003
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it does, Dr. N.
    Try Simpson's fan, Tolkien fan, and card collector. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Look at the high numbers on this set...

JDM - 1972 Topps Football - The Number One Finest Set of All Time

WOWimage
  • Oh, the humanity! I've never even seen that many high number 9s and 10s in my dreams!image
    POTD = 09/03/2003
  • Greetings to all PSA Set Collectors out here. I'm new here and just recently discovered the set registry and decided to register my high number 1972 Topps Football Set. Allow me to introduce myself to all of you. My name is John McLane, I'm a life-long card collector, and have spent the past five years working on this my PSA obsession! As far as my limited research tells me the 3rd Series of football cards was only released in two states (New York and Michigan, I believe). I also know there was some kind of mail in offer to obtain those cards; however, I don't ever recall even knowing that these cards existed until a couple years later. This was the last ever Topps Football set issued in "series." In the mid 1990s I decided to try to assemble the ultimate 1972 Topps Football Card Set. I've spent five years very carefully assembling the 3rd Series of this classic set in high-grade PSA quality. I've attended a couple National Conventions and contacted numerous dealers and collectors to obtain these cards. I was never able to complete the 3rd Series as a 10-year-old; however, I've made up for that now. I will find those two elusive cards (in at least PSA 8 quality), John Gilliam #290 and Milt Morin #315, and then will have the complete 3rd Series. I have many high-quality duplicates to trade to those serious about collecting this set. I have all of the 1st and 2nd Series cards and will now use the 70s Registry Special in order to fill in a large chunk of the 1st and 2nd Series cards. I welcome inquiry from other collectors interested in this great set! I'd also welcome the chance to help a fellow collector as I have many duplicate 3rd Series PSA 9s and 8s, and ungraded cards, to trade or sell to those interested. Please feel free to contact me with your inquiries at jdmclane_psacollector@yahoo.com I will respond. Thanks for reading and good luck to all my fellow collectors out there!

P.S. Yes, I do love and collect Baseball as well!
    Proud owner of the finest 1972 Topps Football high-number set!!!
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Ah yes, I do recall now. It has been many years since I was a regular Simpsons watcher.
  • hello all i am new to the boards ia m working hard on the 1972 topps set for football and the 76 topps set for basketball..Looking for a staubach 8 i have aspurrier 8 and willing to trade more for it well you will see me more on here...
    -- Remember, don't do drugs, have unprotected sex, or kill anyone...leave that stuff to me.