Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Deal gone sour upon delivery of goods... (resolved) refund given, but someone else will get stuck wi

I recently purchased 6 cards ($1600 total) from an Ebay seller. This wasn't through Ebay though, but payment was made through paypal. 5 of the 6 cards are good.

One (a $300 card) is sitting in a holder with a fake/altered label. When you hold the slab to the light and look at the PSA label, you can see the faint impression of what used to be written on the flip before it was erased and over-printed with the new text. To make matters worse, the cert number doesn't even match the card. (yeah, I know. The cert was difficult to read for this one card, the others were fine though)

I've asked the seller for a refund on that card, and he flat out refused, claiming that he sent all of the cards into PSA for review, and the fact that they came back in-holder was all the proof he needed that they were legit.

I've sent a few other appeals to this guy, but am not hopeful for an amicable outcome. I'm going to file the paypal claim tomorrow if I don't hear "Lets work this out" from the seller.

So, the question is, if I file a paypal claim for a partial refund, what should I expect?

Since I'm claiming that the card has a fake/altered label, will I need to get PSA in on this?
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Buyer Protection" through PayPal is really only an EBAY concept.

File with PP, and tell them the story.

IF you paid with VISA/MC you should be fine. Otherwise, expect a
    struggle.

All that PSA can do is confirm what you already know. Your seller
    will simply claim that you made the switch.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    His items were on Ebay. The ended listings are still there with the pics.

• Options

<< <i>His items were on Ebay. The ended listings are still there with the pics. >>

///////////////////////

I'd be cautious about raising that, IF he ended the stuff to do an "off-EBAY deal"
    to avoid fees. IF that was not the circumstance, I guess you could raise it, but
    it's not really relevant.

"Buyer Protection" is for EBAY transactions.

VISA/MC is the only sure-fire weapon.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask him for the PSA review submission information - am sure you'll catch him in a lie.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I had a problem as a seller on my off ebay site and used paypal as a payment method. To make a long story short, the buyer was fraudalent and claimed they never received the item and they paid with a credit card and they didn't have a paypal account. Because I had a shipping # and shipped to their approved address, paypal gave me back the money even though the customers card company sided with them on the chargeback. Paypal basically ate the money for me, their customer.

I would suspect paypal does the same for the buyers using off ebay sites.

Good lucl to you.

Brian
  • Options
    I have used the buyer protection on other sites with great success it is not an Ebay only thing you file the claim just like any other and Paypal will follow the same steps they do on Ebay.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I have had the opposite reaction from Paypal. They have told me before that as long as the seller uses DC or Sig Confirmation and the package is delivered that is about as far as they go with their investigation. You received a "card" and as long as he used DC or Sig Confirm you will have a tough time proving your item wasn't correct.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>I have used the buyer protection on other sites with great success it is not an Ebay only thing you file the claim just like any other and Paypal will follow the same steps they do on Ebay. >>

////////////////////////

Sadly, the money-recovery portion of PP-EBAY "Buyer Protection" Plan (PPUA@13.3) is TOTALLY different
    than the "Buyer Complaint Policy."

The BCP has NO quasi-insurance feature. A favorable decision neither guarantees nor facilitates recovery.

"Buyer Protection," currently, applies ONLY to EBAY transactions.

13.5 PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy

What is the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy?

It is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem with a seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). However, recovery of any amounts is not guaranteed and is limited to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller’s Account, even if PayPal makes a final decision in your favor.

What is the process for the Buyer Complaint Policy?

Similar to PayPal Buyer Protection, you must file a Dispute in the PayPal Resolution Center within 45 days of the date you sent the payment. Once you have done so, you should attempt to resolve the Dispute directly with the seller.

What happens if I am unable to resolve the Dispute directly with the seller?

You may escalate the Dispute to a Claim within 20 days of the date you filed the Dispute. PayPal will make a final decision for some - but not all - Claims.

PayPal will generally make a final decision for an Item Not Received (INR) Claim, but will not make a final decision for a Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) Claim, or Claims involving the following purchases: intangible items, licenses, airline flight tickets, services, vehicles, live auctions, real estate, classified ads on eBay, or other items as determined by PayPal (collectively “Ineligible Items”). This means that unless the seller voluntarily refunds your money, you will not recover any amounts for a SNAD Claim or a Claim for an Ineligible Item filed under the Buyer Complaint Policy.

What if PayPal makes a final decision in my favor?

If PayPal makes a final decision in your favor, we will collect any available funds in the seller’s PayPal balance at that time. However, recovery is not guaranteed and is limited only to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller’s Account. Any amounts collected from the seller will be placed in your Account.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you paid with a CC, if not like mentioned it may be a struggle.

Can you out this mutt?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The payment was made with a combination of about $1k in existing paypal funds and $600 on a credit card.

The seller decided to do the right thing and has offered a refund or a replacement if available. I'm sending the problemed card back tomorrow.

• Options
    "... I'm sending the problemed card back tomorrow. ..."

////////////////////////

Insurance and Signature Confirmation would be prudent.

• Options

<< <i>Insurance and Signature Confirmation would be prudent. >>

I would never dream of it otherwise. image

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Well then contact your CC and get 300.00 of it back.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Well, my part in this story is now at an end, but it continues.

I sent the card back to the seller, who contacted PSA about the mismatched cert #. PSA didn't investigate the issue very far, and simply changed the cert database, so the cert now matches.

The seller offered me the card back or a refund, and I took the refund.

Though I have pointed out the easy way to tell that the flip is not legit, the seller isn't very interested, considers PSA's actions on the matter to be sufficient validation for the cards legitimacy, and has relisted the card.

Don't buy it.

Cert #07060725

• Options
    uhoh......
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭