Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RD, RB and BN for copper. Why nothing for silver

It's not exactly true that silver coins don't have a notation of their condition. I recall a thread where slabs would say "100% white" or "100% toned" or something in between. But these were old "PCI" slabs, I think, and the practice is not widespread.

But the practice of labeling copper coins as red, red-brown or brown is widespread. I see these different colors of copper as being very related to the toning that silver can pick up.

Is there any particular reason why silver does not have a standard notation for toning?

The three colors for copper seems overly simplistic and many copper coins defy these three categories. Similarly, silver coins also have a wide variety of toning patterns that would defy categorization.

And, finally, the whole thing seems absurd, as I believe that not only silver can tone in the holder, but copper can get browner as well.

So, I am wondering...why do we have copper designations when we do not for silver? My irrational search for consistency dictates that I ask this question.

And gold can 'tone' too. More importantly, that toning can be stripped off by dipping. What I would like to see is a designation "Dipped". Too many coins get a pass on this. But I veer from my original question.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PL and DMPL?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC did used to designate W and T for White and Toned coins

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    PL and DMPL. Fair enough. A relatively obvious condition. One could split hairs as to where the designations begin and end, but I don't question the existence of these Proof-Like designations.

I would hazard a guess that "red" exists because it is the most pristine and valuable for copper.

I would hazard a guess that "brown" exists because it is the terminal state for copper.

And, I would suspect that "red-brown" exists to keep the "red" category pure and rare.

If there is a precedent where "red" copper is always desirable and "brown" copper is always less so, then I can understand.

Toned silver versus non-toned silver is more of a preference of folks at the time.

Still, with all of these guesses, I can't see a clear reason why silver doesn't have standard toning designations. Perhaps it is simply less important to do so than for copper?

[edit] Interesting about "W" and "T" designations from NGC. I guess it never caught on. (another darn guess)
  • Options
    I like stickers myself
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    "Is there any particular reason why silver does not have a standard notation for toning?"

Because copper coins aren't "toned" when they are labeled as RB or BN they're just some level of red and brown or all brown. Toned cents are usually red or blue or green.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Copper is more reactive to external conditions than silver, therefore silver does not have as much change to note (other than toning).

If there are any notations that might be needed for silver it could be:

Choice

Average

Scudzy

These are also copper annotations, but they have been applied to silver in the past (Bust Half Quotes - by Fricke & Karoleff)

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file