Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you discover a blundered date coin not listed in Fivaz-Stanton, who do you send it to for examina

I just had graded an 1859-O (XF-40) Seated Half from PCGS that I bought raw from a local guy a while back. I remembered reading the statement in the Cherrypicker's Guide that one should always look for blundered/misplaced dates on Seated Liberty material, and I am fairly certain that there is a misplaced 9 above the 1859 just underneath the rock. It is visible to the naked eye- I spotted it when I looked at the coin in the shop.

There is not a misplaced date for the 1859-O in the current guide, so my question is where do I send it for authentication?

I know- "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS"- and I will take and post pics after I pick up the package from the post office. In the meantime, can anyone suggest to whom or where I should send the coin to have an expert in the series attribute it? For example, if it were an IHC I would send it to Rick Snow- is there anyone in the Seated series who could look at the coin for me and tell me what I have?
"College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
-Randy Newmanimage

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expert in Seated Half Dollars? Dick Osburn.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Larry Briggs knows the seated series inside and out

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Thanks, guys. Do either of you know if either of those gentlemen does this kind of thing? I would be happy to pay a fee for their expertise and time, of course.
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if Dick does this "officially" but shoot him an email. Tell him I referred you to him. He may be busy right now cleaning up after the hurricane but it's worth a shot.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many, many blundered date coins that are not listed in Fivaz-Stanton due to lack of space.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptH- Is there a better reference on the series that I could refer to or another place you could guide me to investigate? Thanks.
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    I will post the coin when I get a pic and go from there- and thanks for the references Cladiator and Savoy.
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    I would send an e-mail to Bill Burgert (One of the authours of the book on the Seated Half series). If he has already seen it he will tell you, If not, he will likely want to post it in the E-Gobrecht that is sent out every month (this months issue just came yesterday).

Here is his e-mail address: wb8cpy@arrl.net

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would send an e-mail to Bill Burgert (One of the authours of the book on the Seated Half series). If he has already seen it he will tell you, If not, he will likely want to post it in the E-Gobrecht that is sent out every month (this months issue just came yesterday).

Here is his e-mail address: wb8cpy@arrl.net

QN >>

What he said.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>who do you send it to for examination? >>

Not to Rick Snow, if your username happens to be "onekram"! image

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "I would send an e-mail to Bill Burgert (One of the authours of the book on the Seated Half series). If he has already seen it he will tell you, If not, he will likely want to post it in the E-Gobrecht that is sent out every month (this months issue just came yesterday).

Here is his e-mail address: wb8cpy@arrl.net"

By all means, you should contact Bill Bugert. As stated, he is one of the co-authors of the "Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Halves" and maintains a list of all known die marriages. He is perhaps the best prepared to identify what you have. Also bear in mind what Tom Delorey stated, however:

"There are many, many blundered date coins that are not listed in Fivaz-Stanton due to lack of space."

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Send it to Fenton- Spivaz! image

image I can't believe I totally mis-quoted the correct Name (which you have used here)
    and actually used "Fenton-Spivaz" in it's place on a couple items a while back. imageimage

Lesson learned - NEVER POST an item while semi-conscious. image

I can't believe no one else caught the glaring mistake either!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file