Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Neighborhood Walmart discontinues card sales

My son and I visited Walmart today to pick up a couple packs of baseball and Pokemon cards. Spent 5 minutes in the Toy department going from aisle to aisle repeatedly looking for the cards, finally had to ask a salesperson about the cards. I was told Wal-Mart discontinued all card sales without further explanation. Anybody else have this problem at their neighborhood Wal-Mart?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Nope.

The ones I have seen recently all have cards at a long aisle by the checkout.

Target, too.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    saw cards in my local wal-mart just yesterday
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Not enough of them were made in China.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I was at Wal-Mart yesterday...strolled by the typical card aisle near the checkout and it was gone...just figured it had been moved and, as I had no plan to purchase any cards, just went through the checkout. At least they made it through A&G season I guess.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    One of the local stores was getting resupplied today

• Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Cue the packsearchers...
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I bet they still sell guns though!
  • Options
    I wish they would quit selling them at Walmart here. I can't go in there without dropping an extra $20-60 on a box or two or three of something.
  • Options

<< <i>I bet they still sell guns though! >>

Yes, thank God!
  • Options

<< <i>My son and I visited Walmart today to pick up a couple packs of baseball and Pokemon cards. Spent 5 minutes in the Toy department going from aisle to aisle repeatedly looking for the cards, finally had to ask a salesperson about the cards. I was told Wal-Mart discontinued all card sales without further explanation. Anybody else have this problem at their neighborhood Wal-Mart?

Mike >>

What ever will you do without your pokemon cards???
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    << I bet they still sell guns though! >>

+ 1 for selling guns

that stinks no cards at your walmart- i would think walmart would sell anything they can get their hands on,they have one in every city that has more than 50 people it it now, they put all the mom and pop out of biz in wv anyways -probably everywhere in small towns
  • Options
    Maybe we have too many pack searchers and theives at the store??
  • Options
    as long as they can sell it ,they dont care though lol-kinda strange?
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    The walmart closest to me stopped carrying cards because of too much theft.
  • Options
    Our Wal-Mart only sells the boxes and packs that are sealed individual. No more just open boxes to search packs. Been that way
    for a long time now.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I noticed the same thing at a Toys "R" Us nearby.... [all the cards gone]
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>The walmart closest to me stopped carrying cards because of too much theft. >>

That is the biggest reason I m betting. Wal-mart could care less about the cards being searched. I bet it is the companies that sell these through Wal-Mart pulling out. Wal-mart allows them to sell their cards through Wal-Mart on a per scan contract. This means Wal-Mart only pays for the item when it is sold. The companies are responsible for stocking and maintinaing the displays.
  • Options
    Walmart and Target have farmed out their card "sections" to regional 3rd parties for a few years now. With shipping/business costs up and margins down, a lot of those 3rd parties are scaling back or outright getting out of the trading card biz. A couple months ago, I chatted up the husband/wife team that were stocking a local Walmart here. As it turns out, they stock all of the nearby Walmarts and have been getting killed because sales are down and costs are up. The nearby Walmarts have Pokemon/YuGiOh, sports, and misc entertainment cards still, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hubby and wifey cut 'n run soon. And with them, will go the card section -- easily replaced by sliding some board games here and some coloring books there.

I'll be sad if it comes to pass. Retail may not offer the best collation, but I prefer it as a way to build sets and to not get jacked by the two local gyp joints that masquerade as "card shops." I'll risk pack searchers any day over outright robbery. Especially since I mostly buy blasters or blister wrapped packs.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    yeah,you are right frank, i talked to a lady once that puts the cards in stores here, i though she worked at walmart but she didnt,i forgot about that
  • Options
    I rarely shop at my local Wal-Marts, not due to their policys but the shoppers.

But when I have went there I noticed for the last 1 1/2 years our Walmarts did not have cards. Unsure why. Then they recently came back.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Not enough of them were made in China. >>

That wouldn't surprise me a bit. good one, lol
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Wal-Mart realizes that being a jack-of-all-trades is not a good thing. I mean seriously, if you want baseball cards, why go to some place that treats it like a sideshow (and offers only watered down wax boxes), when you have Ebay as well as real baseball card dealers/stores (such as BBCE).
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe Wal-Mart realizes that being a jack-of-all-trades is not a good thing. I mean seriously, if you want baseball cards, why go to some place that treats it like a sideshow (and offers only watered down wax boxes), when you have Ebay as well as real baseball card dealers/stores (such as BBCE). >>

Because you can't search for hot packs on Ebay!
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe Wal-Mart realizes that being a jack-of-all-trades is not a good thing. I mean seriously, if you want baseball cards, why go to some place that treats it like a sideshow (and offers only watered down wax boxes), when you have Ebay as well as real baseball card dealers/stores (such as BBCE). >>

The highest valued card I ever pulled from a modern pack came from a Wal-Mart blaster.

I talked to a Wal-Mart manager today and many of the companies they lease the space to are shutting down or scaling back due to contract issues with Wal-Mart. The Pay per Scan agreement is a thorn. It is what took them out of the card market in the early 90s as well.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

Some of us don't like Wal Mart, we need Wal Mart. The nearest card shop is 55 miles away, and my schedule would only permit me to visit once a week. Mail order / ebay is great for vintage because that's the only game going. When it comes to brand new rippage I go to WallyDome and the Kmart because I can get my fix several times a week. I'm a rip-a-holic and there is no use to fight the man.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat you are. There are no card stores in my area either. And no retailer is going to sell anything from outside the current or perhaps the previous year.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars