Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

new "silver union" coin

I just heard an ad on the radio touting a new "silver union" coin that is being sold for $99. I called to get info and they said that the

coin is being minted from drawings found at the Smithsonian that Morgan and Barber had collaborated in designing, originally for

circulation as a "trade" coin in gold. They said that two expirimental samples of this reside at the Smithsonian and are worth millions!

These silver rounds are one and a half ounces of pure .999 silver and are limited to only five per household! They are also slabbed and

graded as gem proof by NGC! Ok, I know this is just a bunch of hype to sell some silver, but who here is going to want one since they

have huge historical designer's names behind them?
....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been hearing that radio commercial for about two weeks now. It annoys me every time I hear it. A C-Note for 1.5 ounces of silver bullion...nice. If I could find one for spot price I might buy one just for fun but no way with any kind of premium.
  • Options
    Are you sure it's a new one? Here's one that was done in 2005. This one is in gold, but they made one in silver as well.

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    I like it in gold...is this your coin?

The Beatles
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... limited to only five per household! >>

Sorry, but whenever I hear this phrase, I'm automatically turned off. The marketeers imply that demand will be so great - even at their exhorbitant markups - that limits on distribution will be needed. Gimme a break!

I'll be spending my $99 elsewhere, Thankyouverymuch!

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're chargin' a hundred bucks for 1.5 ounces of silver I can't fathom what they'd charge for a whole ounce of gold.
  • Options

<< <i>I like it in gold...is this your coin? >>

No, I found the pictures online.
  • Options

<< <i>If they're chargin' a hundred bucks for 1.5 ounces of silver I can't fathom what they'd charge for a whole ounce of gold. >>

IIRC it was either $1,999 or $2,499.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    No interest in paying such a premium.

At close to melt, i'd consider buying one perhaps someday. But only if it was gold.

The history of the coin that almost was is interesting. But this trinket has no such history.

I'd much rather have a 5 ounce chunk of almost any other design for my money.
  • Options
    WOW that is a nice coin... just NOT worth $100 IMO
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    Okay. I'm going to go out on a limb here and rip into the design of this coin.

Is this design really faithful to the original? It looks wierd to me.

The reverse:

The shield looks bizarre and triangular. I don't think i've ever seen a shield in this odd shape.

The eagle looks bizarre. The fat legs. The triangle body. The broad wings. The more I look at it, the more I think it looks wierd.

The obverse:

The branch liberty is holding. She is holding it like a pen. Okay, so the design won't fit the other way. It looks odd and forced.

In a bullion replica piece, I can understand this. The engraver at the New York mint is no Barber.

Rather, I can only hope that these design elements result from the crude interpretation of the New York Mint and not Barber himself.
    But seeing how the Morgan Eagle turned out...well...it's possible that this really is a faithful replica.

Does anyone have a photograph of one of the original patterns? I have not been able to find one on the web. All I see is this replica.

I can't believe I said that I don't really like these aspects of the design of such a cool coin. But there it is.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay. I'm going to go out on a limb here and rip into the design of this coin.

Is this design really faithful to the original? It looks wierd to me.

The reverse:

The shield looks bizarre and triangular. I don't think i've ever seen a shield in this odd shape.

The eagle looks bizarre. The fat legs. The triangle body. The broad wings. The more I look at it, the more I think it looks wierd.

The obverse:

The branch liberty is holding. She is holding it like a pen. Okay, so the design won't fit the other way. It looks odd and forced.

In a bullion replica piece, I can understand this. The engraver at the New York mint is no Barber.

Rather, I can only hope that these design elements result from the crude interpretation of the New York Mint and not Barber himself.
    But seeing how the Morgan Eagle turned out...well...it's possible that this really is a faithful replica.

Does anyone have a photograph of one of the original patterns? I have not been able to find one on the web. All I see is this replica.

I can't believe I said that I don't really like these aspects of the design of such a cool coin. But there it is. >>

Here is a little discussion from across the street

Stefanie
  • Options
    I enjoyed looking at those drawings. Nice bit of history. Thanks Stefanie

The Beatles
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have a photograph of one of the original patterns? I have not been able to find one on the web. All I see is this replica. >>

There are no original patterns. This "coin" is based on a drawing in one of George T. Morgan's notebooks.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Well, the drawings are very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I expect that if this coin had entered production, it would have been fussed over.

As it is, the New York mint has produced something interesting...yet I cannot get over the odd proportions so I will definitely pass.

Also, it's time for me to register on the forum ATS!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    At the time George Morgan arrived in Philadelphia, October 1876, Director Linderman was after two things: 1) a better version of seated Liberty for the Trade dollar, and 2) and “ideal” head of Liberty for use on all the silver and gold coins. Morgan came to the US with a Liberty portrait in hand and that is the one eventually used on the silver dollar of 1878. The sketches you see on the NGC posting (and some on US Patterns.com) and in Dr. Clain-Stefanelli’s book concentrate on a reverse design for a half-dollar or dollar, and versions for a Trade dollar. (Anthony Paquet had already failed to make an improved design and also failed to make a new master die with lower relief. Linderman had contacted the Wyons in London in search of a Liberty portrait, and Asst Mint Master Freemantle recommended that Linderman hire Morgan.)

As for the imitation piece in gold or silver, no complete design was ever seriously proposed. Further, the token’s designs were not intended to be used together. Artistically, I consider both to be insults to Barber and Morgan since the NY Mint took incomplete designs and cobbled them together. Lastly, in 1876 the “Barber” was William Barber, not Charles, and Morgan worked directly for Linderman not the Philadelphia mint.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice history lesson...image

The Beatles
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone here seen the sketches that inspired these?
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone here seen the sketches that inspired these? >>

here are a few in a discussion across the way.
    I tried to do a Smithsonian search but came up empty handed.

Stefanie
  • Options
    The Eagle on this coin looks suspiciously like a pheasant.image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone here seen the sketches that inspired these? >>

here are a few in a discussion across the way.
    I tried to do a Smithsonian search but came up empty handed.

Stefanie >>

Very cool photos there. Thanks for posting. image
  • Options
    Are any of these replicas life size? A $100 gold coin would weigh over 5 ounces.
  • Options

<< <i>Are any of these replicas life size? A $100 gold coin would weigh over 5 ounces. >>

There is a 5oz gold version
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont think its TOO unreasonable. Afterall, many many people bought the 3 silver eagles from the mint for $100, and that was 3 ounces of silver. I know its different, but still. If the design is nice, why not?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if you were offered any more than melt for one of those if you walked into the local B&M and tried to sell it...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file