Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Burbank Could Have 30-Million Cards Listed By December

This indicates to me, that EBAY will allow stores to continue in business for a bit longer.

Tue Sept 30 2008 030:27:55

Burbank Sportscards has 884,862 listings on eBay and plans to launch its entire 30 million-card inventory. While that exceeds Buy.com's inventory of 739,473 listings on eBay, there is a major difference: Burbank Sportscards cards are in Store inventory format, meaning its cards only show up on Store searches or at the bottom of core search results.

It is also cheaper to list in Stores versus the core platform. However, eBay cut a special deal with Buy.com, whom many suspect pays no listing fees for its fixed-price inventory on core.

According to Burbank Sportscards' About Me page, it has an inventory of 35 million cards, of which 1.2 million are unique. "Our goal over the course of 2008 is to bring our staggering inventory to this EBAY store and delight collectors the world over with the very best possible selection of singles that fit with the unique style of your collection. And we’re going to offer this selection with the best possible shipping and handling deals anywhere."

Burbank Sportscards uses Beckett Channel Integration (BCI), "a multi-channel inventory management tool that allows users to keep track of products across their Beckett Marketplace, eBay store and in-store Kiosk."

Sellers in the sports card category may be wondering if Burbank Sportscards will become eligible for Diamond-level PowerSeller status, which would allow it to negotiate fees one-on-one with eBay for listing on the core platform. If so, expect a major disruption in the category similar to what happened when Buy.com flooded certain core categories.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.

Comments

• Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>This indicates to me, that EBAY will allow stores to continue in business for a bit longer.

Tue Sept 30 2008 030:27:55

Burbank Sportscards has 884,862 listings on eBay and plans to launch its entire 30 million-card inventory. While that exceeds Buy.com's inventory of 739,473 listings on eBay, there is a major difference: Burbank Sportscards cards are in Store inventory format, meaning its cards only show up on Store searches or at the bottom of core search results.

It is also cheaper to list in Stores versus the core platform. However, eBay cut a special deal with Buy.com, whom many suspect pays no listing fees for its fixed-price inventory on core.

According to Burbank Sportscards' About Me page, it has an inventory of 35 million cards, of which 1.2 million are unique. "Our goal over the course of 2008 is to bring our staggering inventory to this EBAY store and delight collectors the world over with the very best possible selection of singles that fit with the unique style of your collection. And we’re going to offer this selection with the best possible shipping and handling deals anywhere."

Burbank Sportscards uses Beckett Channel Integration (BCI), "a multi-channel inventory management tool that allows users to keep track of products across their Beckett Marketplace, eBay store and in-store Kiosk."

Sellers in the sports card category may be wondering if Burbank Sportscards will become eligible for Diamond-level PowerSeller status, which would allow it to negotiate fees one-on-one with eBay for listing on the core platform. If so, expect a major disruption in the category similar to what happened when Buy.com flooded certain core categories.

30 >>

If they are paying the current rate of .03 per listing there is now way burbank is making money on ebay.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "If they are paying the current rate of .03 per listing there is no way burbank is making money on ebay."

/////////////////////////////////////////

AND, there is "no way" they ARE paying that rate.

EVEN at fractions of a cent, their STR shows they would lose
    a fortune if they paid ANY listing fees. EBAY has to be getting
    paid on the back end.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    All auctions will include not one picture either!!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Trust me - they are making money - I go in there and chat with Rob fairly frequently - the guy is far from an idiot.
  • Options
    " Trust me - they are making money - I go in there and chat with Rob fairly frequently - the guy is far from an idiot. "

//////////////////////////////////////

They are making plenty of money.

IF sellers ONLY pay FVFs, STRs become irrelevant.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I thought ebay stores had a $1 min. price for listings. A lot of their inventory on beckett.com is under a dollar. Does this rule get waived for them, too?
  • Options

<< <i> thought ebay stores had a $1 min. price for listings. A lot of their inventory on beckett.com is under a dollar. Does this rule get waived for them, too? >>

Thats what I always wondered? Not sure what happened when they changed the rules. I notice quite a few stores with under a buck.

For the 30 million well like sting said 30 million listings with no pictures and plenty of of early year topps in vg-ex CLUTTER.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    People arent going to want to sift through the Burbank garbage. It will make searching what you are looking for nothing less than a HEADACHE.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    884,862 listings on eBay and plans to launch its entire 30 million-card inventory. While that exceeds Buy.com's inventory of 739,473 listings on eBay, there is a major difference

i edited 1000 autions, hope skippy in burbank has fun doing it with all hs commons,is that the guy that want to buy commons by the traincar load in full page mag ads? i got 500,000+ hes can come and buy off me real quick
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if he has a nice 88 Donruss Mike Lavalliere available.
  • Options
    He isn't going to be paying 30 million listing fees, he is going to be paying 1.2 million listing fees. The fee is the same whether you have 1 of an item or 100 of the same item. 1.2 million listing fees is $36,000 a month.

I don't think he has any store items listed at less than $1.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All auctions will include not one picture either!! >>

Exactly. I was browsing ebay last night and was getting pretty upset with all of their no photo listings clogging up the pagesimage
  • Options
    This is too funny.

He's got a 1991 Leaf Vince Coleman priced at $1.39 on ebay.

On his beckett site, it's 27 cents. link

Of course, this is just one example of many you could find. Imagine buying several cards from an ebay seller and then finding out you could have bought the same cards from the same seller for 50-75% less on a different web-site?
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Burbank is pretty much on my Blocked Seller List - the few times I've tried to purchase something from them through the old Beckett site, they invariably did not have the item(s) in stock, even though they often had multiples "available". Couple the loose handle on their inventory with not-so-stellar customer service and you're left with a seller to avoid.
  • Options
    "...Imagine buying several cards from an ebay seller and then finding out you could have
    bought the same cards from the same seller for 50-75% less on a different web-site?"

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ALL of the large retailers that list on EBAY sell their stuff on their OWN sites
    for MUCH less than they do on EBAY.

Sometimes the differences are HUGE.

buy.com is a prime example of the practice.

Such retailers are exploiting EBAY's reputation for "bargains," and poorly
    informed shoppers are buying into the plan.

• Options
    I suspect he's also using their free listings and large marketplace to direct buyers to his beckett.com site.

"Hey, can you guys come down on this card?"

"Sure, you can have it for 70% off that price - just go to this link."

• Options

<< <i>People arent going to want to sift through the Burbank garbage. It will make searching what you are looking for nothing less than a HEADACHE. >>

Exactly. No pictures, generic description, and grossly overpriced. Permanent congestion, as they don't seem to sell much. If ebay had a "hide seller's listings" feature, Burbank would be my first choice.
  • Options
    Rob Is paying the same Fees as everyone else and is moving a crap load of cards on ebay... If you actually look into what he is selling, it is usually multiple quanities. My guess is he is currently moving 20 thousand cards per month currently...
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options
    "Rob Is paying the same Fees as everyone else ..."

////////////////////////////

I hope not.

• Options

<< <i>"...our staggering inventory..." >>

...which goes quite nicely with their staggering prices, on the rare times when they actually have the card in stock.

Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    I am trying to complete my 5th 1960 Fleer Baseball Set and am looking for about 10 more cards. When I did my search, Burbank is using only Beckett images for the cards, and has no original pics....they are honestly a waste of my time...who would buy based on someones verbal grading system?
  • Options
    I've sold to Burbank many times on Naxcom. They had buy offers posted and I accepted. A fair price and I was happy.

30 million cards, 1.2 million unique. Wow.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Just bought 20 cards from Burbank, and 75% of them had dinged corners. Just an FYI, if you're buying from them with the intention of getting them graded, buy several copies, or buy elsewhere.
  • Options

<< <i>Just bought 20 cards from Burbank, and 75% of them had dinged corners. Just an FYI, if you're buying from them with the intention of getting them graded, buy several copies, or buy elsewhere. >>

I just bought about 140 cards from them. There were only about 30 unique cards in there with lots of duplicates....so hopefully I don't befall that same fate.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I bought 10 unique cards, two each. They're not terrible dings, but they are ungradable (PSA 6 or worse). I guess I shouldn't complain too much, but I just wanted to warn people, that if they're buying cards from them to get graded, buy multiples if you want to improve your chances of getting a good card. I must say though, they're combined shipping price was GREAT! ($2.00 for 20 cards/10 different auctions).
  • Options

<< <i>($2.00 for 20 cards/10 different auctions). >>

If anyone is going to buy from Burbank, I would highly recommend not buying from their ebay store. For the cards I mentioned above, I priced out what it would cost me if I bought from ebay and compared it against their prices for the exact same cards through their beckett.com store. I paid about 40% of their ebay prices. As they fulfilled my order, they removed their ebay listings. The majority of cards they listed for $1.39 on ebay were $0.49 in their beckett store.

Shipping is a little more over on their beckett site, but since I ordered more than $50 worth of cards, my shipping was free.