Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Platinum Eagles mintage will soar in 2009

If platinum continues to be priced close to parity with gold then 2009 should be a very good year for Platinum Eagle sales.
A low price on platinum eagle products for 2009 will help cement the 2004-2008 years as the low mintage years for series.

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Sounds good to me!
    Cheap PMs all around sounds even better.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Question is, what will the Mint do with the existing minted 2008 coins and platinum inventory? These items must be way underwater by now along with the remaining 12k Platinum Anniversary Sets.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, Joe. In some ways, the lowered price will help. Certainly, it is a welcome break for Plat buyers.

On the other hand, it does seem that we lost a significant number of Plat collectors during the price run up. If those guys don't come back, that could be considered part of the demand for Plats that will be difficult to replace.

I see the Plat Series becoming almost prohibitively difficult, both from the standpoint of supply and demand. From the supply point of view, many of the early issues are hard to locate, in spite of the higher mintages. From the demand point of view, if the economy is headed down, it's not likely that many will embark upon a collection of the most expensive modern series available.

All of these factors combined give ample reason to collect the Plats - there will be very few significant collections of these things as time passes.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I think the current set of events holds great promise for this series years down the road. They are expensive, so few bought. Prices skyrocketed, so many sold for melt. Prices dropped, so it may attract new collectors who won't be able to put their hands on the earlier dates.

A completed run of any denomination will be a treasure in the decades to come.

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file