Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anybody here actually have a "My Mom threw away my cards" story ?

One day, I came home from school, only to find out that my mom threw away all of my 1984 Topps Football cards. She thought it was just "junk" under my bed, and she had a real need that day to vaccum under my bed.

I used to buy $5.00 worth of packs, every Saturday with my allowance. How many packs would that be back than ? About 14, 15 ? Not quite sure, but I bought $5.00 worth, every week, until they stopped putting them on the shelves.

That's my sad story, and I think the only one of that kind. I didnt quit the hobby & no one should feel sorry for me.

Anybody else ?

Comments

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    my mom didn't throw them away. She sold them to the local dealer when I moved out.

m.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't let my parents touch my baseball cards without a toploader and penny sleeve at age 5...they knew better.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my mom didn't throw them away. She sold them to the local dealer when I moved out.

m. >>

whoa...I'd be PO'd
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i never had a mom or dad grownin up, i was left on granparents doorstep, so i guess she threw me out instead of the cardsimage
    cant miss what ya never had -old bagimage
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I once threw my mom out 'cus she touched my cards.

Never, ever touch a man's Emmitt cards!
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah. We moved when I was 13 (1964). Out they went. In her defense it was years before I realized they were gone.
  • Options
    not quite my mither, but earlier this year my girlfriend DESTROYED a framed signed Bob Feller picture i had.. it was a great 16x20 picture, double matted, custom framed with name plate.. the framing cost me $270.

We argued, and Bob got the punishment.

she broke the frame then ripped the picture out and tore it to about 100 1/4" pieces.

OY!!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but earlier this year my girlfriend DESTROYED a framed signed Bob Feller picture >>

You mean ex-girlfriend right?

• Options

<< <i>not quite my mither, but earlier this year my girlfriend DESTROYED a framed signed Bob Feller picture i had.. it was a great 16x20 picture, double matted, custom framed with name plate.. the framing cost me $270.

We argued, and Bob got the punishment.

she broke the frame then ripped the picture out and tore it to about 100 1/4" pieces.

OY!! >>

I hope you buried her in the backyard.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Not my story, but my Grandma tossed my Dad's cards from the early '50s. He said they were mostly the "ones that looked like TVs"... (1955 Bowman). He had several shoe boxes of them. It's not too sad, because he said they played a game with them... he and his friends used to sit around and flick them against the wall, and whoever had a card land on top of another card, they got to keep both cards. So the cards were all banged up anyway. Still, I would have LOVED to come across those boxes...
  • Options
    "Love of my life" blah blah blah...

but now i have all of my items tucked away in a closet... nothing with easy access.
  • Options
    I always just lurk and learn around here but I'll give my mom-card story.
    When I got back from the army back in 1967 my shoebox full of 50's topps and bowman were gone, vanished, not there.
    I asked where they were and my mother informed me that she gave them to my cousin, the draft dodger (deferment).
    and he already had about 10 shoeboxes to my one. So they were not thrown out just given away, not the best day in my card collecting career. (and he wouldn't give them back either).
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One day, I came home from school, only to find out that my mom threw away all of my 1984 Topps Football cards. She thought it was just "junk" under my bed, and she had a real need that day to vaccum under my bed.

I used to buy $5.00 worth of packs, every Saturday with my allowance. >>

Why was your mom cleaning your room when you were getting an allowance? image

My family knew the importance of my cards to me and would be very careful around them. Even when I moved out, my parents would not let my nieces and nephew into my card closet.

I did sell a friend about 200 1971 football cards. Went over to his house about 2 weeks later and saw all the cards in the burning barrel. This was back in the early 70s and we lived outside of town and we used to burn our garbage in these barrels. Nothing like an aeresol can exploding when we would burn trash.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I have a current My mom threw out my cards story and it's ongoing as we speak.

Well my wife was actually a big baseball card collector in the mid 80's to mid 90's and she also had several rookie cards from basketball as well. She was a great collector and always put the good cards in holders right away and the others in her card albums. She had all of the cards I never could get in packs....like several of Mike Piazza's 92 Fleer Updates and Bowman's as well as Michael Jordan's Fleer Rookie Card.

Well. when we moved a couple of years ago, I had asked my mother if I could leave some of our collectibles in one of her empty spare closets until we got everything situated at our new place and my mom said that would be fine. It was mainly my wifes doll collection and a box of cards which included her albums.

Later last year I picked up everything up there, but the cards were not there. Whenever I ask her about the cards she said she doesn't know where they are. My mother is very stupid in regards to collectibles. In the past she has basically given away very expensive collectibles for cents on the dollar. And one time she let a gal come over and pick up thousands of dollars in antique jewelry in which the gal was going to sell for her and keep a small fee. The gal has never come back and is MIA.

So my wife and I are thinking my mother did the same thing about the cards and won't admit it. My mother always has garage sales and I'm sure someone told her the card were worthless because they were all 1980's and 1990's. They were very collectible and many of the cards were bought for my wife from her late father.

Last month I asked my mom if she found the cards and she told me if she had them they would have been with the other items I picked up.

This situation has really saddened my wife and she NEVER wants to look at the cards I have been buying because it just pisses her off about my mom.

Brian

• Options
    Had a large box full of cards from early 70s on floor when I was about 10 and my fish tank sprung a leak. My mother actually ironed some and weighed others down, I was pretty distraught think I bawled the rest of day. Wound up throwing most away and keeping all future fish tanks an appropriate distance from any cards. Thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    My mom never threw out my cards. She was too busy beating me in the head with bricks and burning me with her curling iron. I'm really glad she never tossed my cards though. Thanks mom!
  • Options

<< <i>My mom never threw out my cards. She was too busy beating me in the head with bricks and burning me with her curling iron. I'm really glad she never tossed my cards though. Thanks mom! >>

There is help out there. Call the support number at 1-800-ISTHTY
  • Options
    Setting the stage. Good friends of my Grandparents.... like friends for 50 years friends. They came over for dinner one Saturday night while I was visiting with my Grandparents as a child (figure 12 years old, early 80s). Well Lenard, (the friend) collected team sets in the 30s and 40s when he was a kid and "cherished them" claims he hasn't even looked at them in years (meaning decades) that he put them in a series of wooden cigar boxes and has them in his den.

Seeing just how carefully I handled my cards (I thought the older the cards the cooler they were at the time) he said to his wife that he thought he found a worthy place for his cards and spoke to me about them to see if I'd have interest.

...if i'd have interest ....

After a long conversation about home run hitters of today vs yesterday, will .400 ever be hit again (which was an obvious yes at the time) he said he'd be happy to bring down the cards next time he visited and give them to me.

Here it comes....

So a year or so earlier, Lenard's house was robbed. Minor breakages here and there and not a whole lot missing of value. He didn't even realize that his cards were missing! Cherished my eye!! So I always say i was this ---><---- close to a monumental collection.

• Options
    Nope, my mom saved everything image but it was mostly star wars cards and toys image God love her!
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    It wasn't my mom who threw out my cards it was my brother who kept my cards. When I moved out of my parents house in the early 80's I left my 1973-1977 sets behind to be picked up later. Anyways, years went by and just recently I finally decided to pick up the cards at my parents house.

Couldn't locate the 1973 and 1974 sets but did find the 1975 -1977 sets with all the star cards gone including the Yount and Brett rookie cards. Found out my brother sold all the star cards to a baseball card dealer(Grafs in Chicago) and mentioned that he has the 73+74 sets but can't find them. What a nice brother I have.

Mike

• Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    No, my mom saved my cards. Unfortunately I'd battered most of them anyway. Also unfortunately, she did toss out my brother's cards. He's six years younger than I, and Mom's knickknack collection grew to take over the closets before he cleared his cards out. He still moans about his Walter Payton rookies.
  • Options
    Not exactly the same, but my uncle had a whole bunch of nice cards from the early 50's and while he was at work my Aunt pasted them all into a scapbook for him. This was back in the early 80's. I think he still has that scrapbook!
  • Options
    Anytime I would buy packs as a kid my parents insisted that they either be stored properly or put into plastic sheets in a binder. In fact I got in trouble one time because I didn't do that before moving on to something else. I think they thought it would be a way to pay for college. That was the 80's and 90's and we all know how those turned out.
  • Options
    I learned to put my cards in a safe place after my mom took several piles of 68 Topps baseball and burned them in our burn barrel. And yes there was a Ryan rookie as well as stars like Aaron, Mays, and Clemente.

I have to keep a close eye on my wife as my card stacks sometimes take over the downstairs study.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anytime I would buy packs as a kid my parents insisted that they either be stored properly or put into plastic sheets in a binder. In fact I got in trouble one time because I didn't do that before moving on to something else. I think they thought it would be a way to pay for college. That was the 80's and 90's and we all know how those turned out. >>

What are you saying? Your Matt Nokes, Eric Anthony and Ben McDonald rookies didn't pay for law school?
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    My mom never threw mine out -- she was a collector (dolls) so she understood the value of collectibles.

...now, if I had anything worth saving it would have been a good deal, but my piles of cards didn't quite do it.