Home Sports Talk

Not fired yet but Al Davis is interviewing Kiffin's replacement

Lane Kiffin's days in Oakland appear to be numbered.

ESPN.com, citing an anonymous source, reported late Monday night that Raiders owner Al Davis has begun meeting with members of Kiffin's coaching staff about the prospect of replacing the head coach. The Contra Costa Times confirmed this report and added that Davis intends to fire Kiffin by Tuesday morning.

Davis reportedly scheduled interviews Monday evening with offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, offensive line coach Greg Knapp and advance scout Paul Hackett.

Kiffin declined to comment Monday on his reported shaky job status and did not say whether he has talked recently to Davis.

"I just feel we're going to open up too many things, and those are conversations that I do or do not have with him that should stay between him and I," Kiffin told reporters.

Davis hired Kiffin in January 2007. The Raiders went 4-12 in his first season as coach and are 1-3 in 2008. The Raiders are off this week, like the St. Louis Rams, who fired coach Scott Linehan on Monday after an 0-4 start.

Comments

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Raiders have not been the same since that 2003 *** Whooping the Bucs gave them in the superbowl. Too bad.

JS
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I heard on ESPN that Davis fired him today AND told him he won't pay him the money left on his contract. I don't get that. I assume Kiffin has an iron clad written agreement so would be easy to sue the Raider's!? I learned a couple of things in law school and it would seem one you need a good written contract and two you need a defendant with deep pockets. I would take the case!

• << <i>I heard on ESPN that Davis fired him today AND told him he won't pay him the money left on his contract. I don't get that. I assume Kiffin has an iron clad written agreement so would be easy to sue the Raider's!? I learned a couple of things in law school and it would seem one you need a good written contract and two you need a defendant with deep pockets. I would take the case! >>

I heard that the reason Davis didn't fire him long ago was because he hoped Kiffin would quit on his own so he wouldn't have
    to pay off the contract, Kiffin is no dummy and refused to quit knowing that Davis would have to pay off the contract if he fired him.
    Now it looks like Davis is tired of waiting and just fired him and decided to fight out the contract in court.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    What is the legal basis for not paying off the contract? I have not heard a reason given.

• << <i>What is the legal basis for not paying off the contract? I have not heard a reason given. >>

He is on the hook for $3.5 million, I don't think there is any legal basis for not paying it off, Davis just doesn't want to apparently.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    davis is saying the firing is for cause so he doesn't have to pay him, he'll end up paying. kiffen should sue him and the other management for putting together that team that has no rhyme or reason. al davis is becoming the laughing stock of the league, thats sad because he was so good for it 20+ years ago.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the legal basis for not paying off the contract? I have not heard a reason given. >>

Al Davis stated that Kiffin was "fired for cause." According to Davis, he has letters and communique warning Kiffin of specific actions that would violate and ultimately void his contract. He laid these letters out to the press this afternoon and also alluded to some other more serious situations including the recruitment of Kiffin's father (tampering) and fabricated stories that Kiffin fed to the press that Davis claims to have witnesses to dispute.

Davis has been down this road before and Shannahan STILL hasn't gotten a dime out of the Raiders. I would suspect that Kiffin has even less of a chance for success. He might be best served to put his tail between his legs, hook on as an assistant somewhere and wait his turn to work for someone that isn't an egomaniac.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that if you asked Gruden what the highlight of his professional coaching career is, he will quickly say it was stomping on the Raiders in the 2003 Superbowl.

I suspect that if you ask Shannahan what the highlight of his professional coaching career is, he will pause, scratch his head, ponder and say it is a toss up between:

a. winning the 1998 and 1999 Superbowls; and

b. every winning game against the Raiders since Davis fired him (including the recent MNF game where the Broncos put a 41-14 spanking on the Raiders in the black hole on the opening weekend of the 2008 seasonimage)

In fact, I suspect that Shannahan enjoys the wins against the Raiders far more than he would enjoy collecting money from Al Davis.
  • Yep, I hear that Shanahan still has it in for Al Davis.

Davis is old and senile, if there was any way someone in his family could take over the ownership of the team
    and sell it to someone else that would be the best thing but I don't see it happening until after Davis is gone.

The revolving door of coaches is just going to continue for the Raiders under the current structure.

• << <i>Yep, I hear that Shanahan still has it in for Al Davis.

Davis is old and senile, if there was any way someone in his family could take over the ownership of the team
    and sell it to someone else that would be the best thing but I don't see it happening until after Davis is gone.

The revolving door of coaches is just going to continue for the Raiders under the current structure. >>

Did you see the conference today? Senile no? Desperate to win now and making one impulsive move after another...YES!
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• << <i>I suspect that if you asked Gruden what the highlight of his professional coaching career is, he will quickly say it was stomping on the Raiders in the 2003 Superbowl.

I suspect that if you ask Shannahan what the highlight of his professional coaching career is, he will pause, scratch his head, ponder and say it is a toss up between:

a. winning the 1998 and 1999 Superbowls; and

b. every winning game against the Raiders since Davis fired him (including the recent MNF game where the Broncos put a 41-14 spanking on the Raiders in the black hole on the opening weekend of the 2008 seasonimage)

In fact, I suspect that Shannahan enjoys the wins against the Raiders far more than he would enjoy collecting money from Al Davis. >>

Sanction,

Being a Donkey fan in the Bay Area must be fun these daysimage

What's sad is Davis has been to one SB in the last 24 years. BUT HE HAS EX COACHES WITH 3 RINGS IN THE LAST 12 SUPERBOWLS!

What's funny is if Mike Shanahan beat the Raiders 80-0 that would not be enough. Frankly if someone jacked me out of a quarter million I would run up the score everytime I played them also.image

Shanahan was also smart enough to get into Al Davis' pocket in an indirect way when he forced the Raiders to match a huge contract Denver offered to Tim Brown a few years ago. Davis could have chose not to match it but they would have lost a key player to a division rival with Elway throwing to him.

Tim Brown was a loyal Raider but you have to wonder if he regrets not having two ringsimage
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oxy8890:

The Broncos have had some reent success against the Raiders and as a Bronco fan I enjoy seeing them have success. However, the Raiders still have a large lead in the all time series record in playing the Broncos. I think the Raiders still have about a 20-25 game lead in the series since the Raiders were so good and the Broncos were so bad in the 1960's, most of the 70's and the early 80's.