Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

To crack or not to crack? That is the question.

Two of my "what happened" cards from recent sub. Centering on both is as close to perfect as you can get front and back. Corners are all sharp.

The Rose has one flaw I did not see before submitting. It still has a little wax residue on the front. It had a lot of wax but I thought I got it all off. I missed a little spot. I know there is a small fisheye but I have seen plenty of 78's in 10 holders with worse fisheyes. The white spots are on the scanner not the card.

The Puckett is 50/50 front and back, sharp corners, no wax and no fishies. Only want to crack becaue a 10 is worth 10x's as much as a 9.

Only one "I'm sorry this happened to you" reply allowed.

Comments

• Options
    And the rough left edge on the Puckett yells out "GEMMY" to you ?
    :-)
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't crack them. The Rose is off center and the Puckett has a tilt
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I'll be first!! I'm sorry this happened to you
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm quitting the hobby
  • Options
    What he said
  • Options
    If there wasn't the fisheye on the Rose, I'd say crack it. The edges on the Puckett keep it at a 9, imo. Great looking cards in their appropriate holders.
  • Options
    Puckett isn't titled, just crooked in scan. There is a recent 10 sold on the bay that looks worse than mine but the seller is someone I will not mention. Still think the Rose is a 9 or better if I get the rest of the wax off. Yes, I am stubborn.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Even in PSA 9 the Rose is only a $15 card. There is no chance it gets a 10 so you are better off selling it for $5 and buying a PSA 9 for if you want one for your collection.

The Puckett doesn't look like a 10 to me but some graders don't penalize for the rough edge so it is probably worth another shot. Though the bottom left corner doesn't look sharp due to the rough left edge but you never know.

However neither of those cards are really "what happened" scenarios. They both have flaws that can easily justify their current holders.

Robb
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be first!! I'm sorry this happened to you >>

Quoting allowed?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I've seen a few 10s with rough cuts.

Are only certain cards allowed to have it?

I haven't played the resubmit game myself, but it seems frustrating.
  • Options
    Disregard the question on Mr Rose. He has been released from his plastic tomb and I must regretfully report that he has since suffered a fatal injury. My deepest regards to his 1978 Topps familyimage