Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Luck or No luck on finding a coin yesterday at a Marina?

Well I was taking a drive because my life is boring nowadays. My wife took off early to see the Dr. after her appt. and after lunch it was a beautiful day in Southern Md area, we went down to a local marina and sat on a hillside looking at the water and having a chat.

I was picking through grass and saw what looked like a Indian Head penny. As I got a piece of broken branch to dig it out of the ground, right next to the penny a hole appeared and out came a head of a Black snake and bit me on my hand.

Well my wife is upset and tells me to get in the car so we can go to the hospital. As my health is not so great nowadays it took me extra time to get off of the ground. I thought about my days as a adventurest and grab the snake and took it down to the Parks Ranger station to see if this is what I thought a common RAT SNAKE. Well it turned out to be so and they treated me with a few creams and said to me nice teeth marks in your hand Sir, but I would go to your Dr.s and get a rabies shot. Well I did this late afternoon yesterday and everythings ok.

As for the old Indian Head penny it was a common date penny when I looked it up in the price guide.

So my question is! "FIND A PENNY PICK IT UP ALL THE DAY YOU'LL HAVE GOOD/BAD LUCK"?

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    You'll have GOOD luck!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Guess there should be an addendum:
    "Let sleeping snakes lie"

S

Edited because it is "addendum" not "addendem".
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

The good part is that you're a penny richer and that it was only a black snake that bit you.

The bad part is that you're only a penny richer and that it was a black snake that bit you.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep a pet cobra with you at all times

link
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

Brother.....you didn't die, ain't that good luck?
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whaat? Sounds like anything but a boring day!

<< <i>As for the old Indian Head penny it was a common date penny when I looked it up in the price guide.

You found an Indian cent, by eyesight alone? Who cares if it was common date, or what condition it was in? That, my friend, counts as really good mojo where I come from (the metal detecting community). You can't evaluate dug stuff on a par with nondug. It doesn't compute. It's comparing apples and oranges. Stuff that comes outta the ground usually has issues. It is usually worth a lot less monetarily, BUT the "coolness factor" of the find counts for quite a bit (at least to us digger types). You bagged a pretty decent trophy, in terms of treasure hunting, which is all the more impressive, for you not having a metal detector.

I dunno if I would take a snakebite, even from a harmless snake, to dig up an IHC, but aside from the wildlife encounter, it sounds pretty exciting. (Actually, with the wildlife encounter it sounds even more exciting, but there's good excitement and bad excitement. You got both.)

Great story. Dunno if I 100% believe it or not, with the part about the snake and its hole magically appearing and all, but OK, I'll take your word for it. If it's true, that's one helluva tale, and even if it isn't, it was entertaining. Actually, with all the details you put in there, I'm inclined to believe it.

Hopefully some self-appointed OT whiner doesn't report this to the mods as "off-topic", like happened with my now-banned "Digs O' The Day" stories.

So, what was the date on the Indian cent? What happened to the snake? I assume they released it, elsewhere.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I've heard of people getting bite by the coin bug before, but never the coin snake. Glad the bite was not of the deadly variety.
  • Options

<< <i> Well it turned out to be so and they treated me with a few creams and said to me nice teeth marks in your hand Sir, but I would go to your Dr.s and get a rabies shot. Well I did this late afternoon yesterday and everythings ok. >>

I'm surprised a doctor would agree to give you a rabies shot as only mammals can carry rabies.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you're lucky the snake was non-venomous, or you would be in more serious trouble... As far as the penny, I hope it brings you good luck in the future.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i> Well it turned out to be so and they treated me with a few creams and said to me nice teeth marks in your hand Sir, but I would go to your Dr.s and get a rabies shot. Well I did this late afternoon yesterday and everythings ok. >>

I'm surprised a doctor would agree to give you a rabies shot as only mammals can carry rabies. >>

I asked myself that also, but was told that the snake had just eaten a water RAT, I said what's a water Rat the Ranger told me the hills are infested with those so called RATS. Futhermore I have had a Rabies shot in years. My tummy took the shots like the pizza I ate last friday, easy.

My Lord, I think they released that snake, I didn't stick around my wife was worried. I will put a pick on here of the penny I found I want to go back and see if there is more but my wife told me she will kick my A$$,

Also a little history there was somekind of settlement retreat in the area, so Call our one and only Chris Columbus search the area, but of course that has nothing to do with a Indian Penny post Columbus days, But again there is rich history of St Clements Island in St Mary's Co. on the water. Bee good George
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dayum!
  • Options
    You should keep the snake as a pet. If anyone ever broke into your house and tried to take your coins, the snake would take care of it. image
  • Options
    Always INTERESTING stories if nothing else George.

Let me help with the illustrations.....

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>Always INTERESTING stories if nothing else George.

Let me help with the illustrations.....

image >>

Nice work Rob. That snake even looks like it has some toning on the reverse.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I think my snake had teeth like bugs bunny. But good pic anyways.image

You guys crack me up, maybe that's why I come back here for more and more love. My tounge is wanting to shoot out of my mouth for some reason and it's not because I see a nice coin to buy either.
  • Options
    You'll have to go back. The snake was obviously guarding the good stuff!image
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a pic of the coin and the back of the hand that got bit.Just to make it official.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Gosh, If I had to get snake bit for every Indian Head

Penny I find........I think that I would pass.

I am very glad to hear that the snake was harmless

and that you are OK.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    What Bear said...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file