Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Clad quarter, core not visible

Friend brought me a NC P-mint state quarter that he thought was silver. No trace of the copper core is visible on the edge. The weight and thickness are correct for a clad quarter, so it's not a missing layer.

What can cause this?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Comments

• Options
    Most likely silver or platinum plated.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Has a typical clad "look" (at least the obverse & reverse do) - doesn't look plated. I suppose someone could have messed with the edge but that looks normal except for the lack of copper.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Any other thoughts?

• Options
    MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭

<< <i>Any other thoughts? >>

Cut it open and check the insides!!!!
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Try it in a soda machine if it works run fast.image
  • Options

<< <i>Most likely silver or platinum plated. >>

most likely nickel plated since the OP says obverse/reverse look normal. silver or plat would look slightly different color wise.

i work in a plating shop and have plated coins just out of boredom.

i`ve also spent most of `emimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    If it was near the end of the coil the copper could have been depleted.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    I would bet nickel plated too, is it possible to gently scrape one of the indentions on the edge? I wouldn't think the plating would be thick and would show the copper pretty quickly.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>If it was near the end of the coil the copper could have been depleted. >>

Could it still have the proper weight if that happened?

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I would WAG no because there's not enough weight difference in copper & nickel to tell.

You can tell silver from CN clad issues due to silver being 5.75 grms & CN being 5.67 which is .o8 difference and outside the tolerance of 0.227.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a razor blade, and make a cut BETWEEN
    the reeds on the reeded edge.

Press down hard when you do it.

Odds are, you'll see the copper core coming thru.

It will not affect the value of the coin if it turns out to
    be some type of error, but it's very doubtful.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    take fred`s advice and try this with the razor blade. the plating will be very thin and will show copper.

i plated a quarter today at work to post here and show how easy it is to be done. keep in mind there are probably hundreds of plating shops around the country.

this was plated to a thickness of approximately 2-3 tenths of a thousandth. way thinner than a sheet of paper. the plated one is a 2006 south dakota strait from my pocket change. the normal coin is a unc. 2008-P alaska.

notice the plated(circulated) one is more "shiny" than uncirculated quarter. a few weeks back in circulation and it will dull down to normal appearance. BUT.... it will take years for the plating to wear off and show copper on the edge.

the reason i am posting this is i see a post every month or two about people finding quarters with no clad layer and will now just point them to this thread for possible answers.

the coin on the left is 2008 alaska unc. on the right is the 2006 north dakota circulated.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Chinese Knockoff imageimage

Looks like it's been plated or made of silver.
    There's definitely been something done to it to remove that clad layer look.
  • Options

<< <i>Chinese Knockoff imageimage

Looks like it's been plated or made of silver.
    There's definitely been something done to it to remove that clad layer look. >>

are you reffering to my photos? if you are you did not read my postimage
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    coinman420, very cool, thanks for taking the time to show us!!image
    Becky
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    One of those platinum plated coins you can buy from TV. Many people whom got ripped off spend them and they find there way to the public. I got a gold plated one in change.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>coinman420, very cool, thanks for taking the time to show us!!image >>

welcomeimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file