Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wouldn't it be nice if...

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
...the ANA grading standards book were available to everyone online, for free?

I don't know how much revenue they generate, selling printed copies, but it sure would be a nice public service if the standards and photos and line drawings available in the book were on a website that everybody could point to, and steer some of these eBay sellers to.

ANA, or Photograde. Either one.

Or PCGS' standards. I don't mean general standards. I mean actual photos of all the series, in all the grades, with appropriate photos and/or line drawings.

Maybe even just the old Brown and Dunn standards I can remember using in the 1970s, depending on the copyright status of that. I recently started using some of my older books with the line drawings, finding them slightly preferable to the photographs, or at least a nice supplement to the photographs. I think both the photos AND line drawings are useful.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    It would be nice, but I disagree. For the most part, I believe that companies have the right to generate revenues and also to protect their copyrights.
  • Options
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting that they don't have the right to revenues and copyrights.

I'm just saying it would be nice if some respectable authority (the ANA comes to mind first) stepped up and offered a free grading standards guide online, as a public service, that's all.

In this real world where dollars count, I know that's just a utopian dream. But that's why the title of this thread is "Wouldn't it be nice...".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be great if it the photos of the coin you CLAIM to have a certain grade was automatically posted above the coin on your Ebay picture for comparison. I bet that would tick off a bunch of crap pushers.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't value a book more than 'Brown and Dunn'. Standard for grading at last arrived.
  • Options
    PCGS was supposed to have their own online version of a Photograde type thing at some point, but I am not sure when that will happen!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, I wasn't suggesting that they don't have the right to revenues and copyrights.

I'm just saying it would be nice if some respectable authority (the ANA comes to mind first) stepped up and offered a free grading standards guide online, as a public service, that's all.

In this real world where dollars count, I know that's just a utopian dream. But that's why the title of this thread is "Wouldn't it be nice...". >>

............heck, we'll do it for free here!!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Brown and Dunn is da bomb! Great stuff. The best grading book ever.

Thanks,
    Mark

The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...the ANA grading standards book were available to everyone online, for free? >>

no it would not. because then, people might start thinking that you can grade by digi-pics, which ain't so.

K S
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...the ANA grading standards book were available to everyone online, for free? >>

no it would not. because then, people might start thinking that you can grade by digi-pics, which ain't so.

K S >>

A lot of people on this forum would disagree with you (of course, a lot of people on this forum disagreed with you before you wrote this, so not much has changed).
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Would it be nice? Sure, but I am heavy into walkers and I have put together a set of PCGS walker from G4 thruMS65 minus the 60 & 61. This is an excellent reference. As soon as I get my computer/ photo room in order, I will post pix of all for the board............Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of people on this forum would disagree with you (of course, a lot of people on this forum disagreed with you before you wrote this, so not much has changed). >>

thank you for clearing that up

K S
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I think the dot.com economy in the 90's proved conclusively that you can't give them away for free, and make it up in volume. Come on Lord, pony up the $12.95 and get a copy. You're one of those rich coin delaers now so you can spring for it. image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or PCGS' standards. I don't mean general standards. I mean actual photos of all the series, in all the grades, with appropriate photos and/or line drawings. >>

I seem to remember something about PCGS intentions to do this a while back.
  • Options

<< <i>Come on Lord, pony up the $12.95 and get a copy. You're one of those rich coin delaers now so you can spring for it. >>

Oh, I have THREE copies. And a couple Photogrades and an old B&D, too.

Would just be more convenient for all, electronically.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would be even nicer would be if people who DO know better would use them.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file