Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who are the best active Hockey players to buy?

I collect mostly Baseball, but like to collect anything. So for some of you Hockey guys, who are some top prospects or stars, and their best cards to buy? Something like the top 5 from 1990-1999 and the top 5 from 2000-Present. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say Alexander Slobernowitskohoven
  • Options

<< <i> I would say Alexander Slobernowitskohoven >>

Just bought a 10 count lot of his rookie cards. Anyone else?
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    2005 Ovechkin
    Alexander Ovechkin
    Alexander Ovechkin
    Alexander Ovechkin
    Alexander Ovechkin

1990 Brodeur
    Martin Brodeur
    Martin Brodeur
    Martin Brodeur
    Martin Brodeur
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    if hockeyguy was on,he would know, all i know about hockey is ya hit the guy in the head with a stick and have a riot on the iceimage
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Right now it's all about Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin both on the ice and in the collecting world. If you are going to invest, it's probably safer to go for young prospects who are Canadian. Euros generally don't get the following the Canuck-dudes get. Evgeni Malkin rides the Crosby coat tails but is a star himself. Ilya Kovalchuk is a super talented player on a really, really bad team (Atlanta).

The five best veteran players in the game are these, but their collectability is not really "hot".

Jarome Iginla (Calgary)
    Joe Thornton (Sharks)
    Vincent Lecavalier (Lightning)
    Henrik Zetterberg (Red Wings)
    Marian Gaborik (Wild)

If you are going to speculate these are some of the possible future superstars you probably haven't heard of:

Anze Kopitar (Kings)
    Jonathan Toews & Patrick Kane (Blackhawks)
    Paul Stasny (Avalanche)
    Nicklas Backstrom (Capitals - there is a goalie by the same name on the Wild)
    Peter Mueller (Coyotes)

And if you are the type that likes overhyped/overpriced rookies:

Steven Stamkos (Lightning)
    Fabian Brunnstrom (Stars)

• Options
    Ovechkin as others have mentioned. Also Rick Nash, Sidney Crosby and possibly Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla (yes that is his real name). Although many would argue with my selection of Iginla, I think he is one of the better players out there.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! My hockey collection consists of these three cards. Just looking to add more to it.

• Options
    Crosby, Crosby, Crosby... better dead than red.

Orr is the greatest NHLer of all time, Lemieux#2??? Gretzky... I'm pretty sure I could take him in a fight, so he doesn't even count.
  • Options
    Wooo???

Themk Howe and Hull autos are messed up... I'm so drunk they look perfect???
  • Options
    STAMKOS!

Go Bolts!
  • Options
    I dont like to say it, but I wouldnt buy ANY Hockey after 1991-92

Crosby ???
    If his career started in the ealy 90's,
    he might have been considered the 20th best player.
    Perhaps even lower, if goalies were to be included.

Lemieux, Jagr, Stevens & Recchi were all Penguins in the early 90's,
    and all were far better than Crosby.
    I'd even say that jagr might have been tougher than Crosby,
    and that's saying something

That's how low the talent pool is nowadays,
    and that shows how far we reach to find a superstar
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys! My hockey collection consists of these three cards. Just looking to add more to it.

image >>

that's three more hockey cards than I have...
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I dont like to say it, but I wouldnt buy ANY Hockey after 1991-92

Crosby ???
    If his career started in the ealy 90's,
    he might have been considered the 20th best player.
    Perhaps even lower, if goalies were to be included.

Lemieux, Jagr, Stevens & Recchi were all Penguins in the early 90's,
    and all were far better than Crosby.
    I'd even say that jagr might have been tougher than Crosby,
    and that's saying something

That's how low the talent pool is nowadays,
    and that shows how far we reach to find a superstar >>

From a toughness standpoint I think Jagr was always underappreciated. True, he was never a Shanahan/Bertuzzi/Morrow type, but he wasn't exactly from the Alexei Kovalev school either. His play usually got a little chippier in April and May, which I've always thought was the mark of a player who has a little toughness to him.

With respect to NHL prospects, a couple that have been left of the list thus far are Patrick Sharp (could have a monster year this year) and Niklas Backstrom (from Washington, not Minnesota). Kyle Turris is also expected to be pretty good, although I don't know if he has any cards out yet.
  • Options
    This is probably the Hockey version of the 1986 Basketball Fleer set (But more were printed I'm sure)

1990 OPC PREMIER (132 card set) & contains the following rookie cards ...

Bondra (500 Goal Scorer)
    Jagr (500 Goal Scorer)
    Modano (500 Goal Scorer)
    Roenick (500 Goal Scorer)
    Sundin (500 Goal Scorer)

Fedorov (28 goals away from 500)

Mogilny (Retired with 27 goals shy of 500)

Nolan (Approaching 400 Goals)

& Other Notable Rookie Cards

Kevin Stevens (300+ Goals ... Had His Issues)
    Nedved (300+ Goals)
    Curtis Joseph
    Rob Blake
    Ricci

The only players (Rookie Cards) that this set somehow did not include are Ed Belfour & Pavel Bure

This set should really take off in about 150-200 years :-)

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    I would add Carey Price, the Canadiens' goalie. If Montreal goes far in the playoffs his cards will be hotter than they were last year. Still, he has to avoid the sophomore jinx.
  • Options
    I don't think you can go wrong with Crosby

• Options
    Kane and Toews would be good pick ups as the buzz in Chicago is amazing. They have sold out pre-season games already and their season ticket sales are the highest that they have been since the early 90's. I also think Malkin is a good one to buy a few cards of.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I really think Sean Horcoff is going to explode this season... young Oilers Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano, and Robert Nilsson will do very well as well... all sound investments imo to buy now then flip throughout the season..

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

This set should really take off in about 150-200 years :-) >>

shhhhhhhh ! !

you know we are trying to keep hockey a secrert.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Hockey TV ratings have fallen below NASCAR, POKER, and probably Prison Rodeo Events ... no need to keep Hockey a secret, because I dont think people care
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I would pay good money for a mint Wes Hightower RC.