Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

the cool thing about a holey coin...

$10 + .50 strip of leather = nice little curiosity..

unfortunately the flash really washed the coin out, it has nice surfaces.. I could have taken it off and got a pic in good light but I cut the leather too tight and I actually can't take it off now without cutting it imageimageimageimageimage

still, I like the history of it.

trivia note: in 1742 princeton U was founded (then, the college of nj)

I am, a coin dork. but at least it's not a vest. yet.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! I resemble that last remark! image

And that coin shall find a loving new home you-know-where, if you ever decide you want to be rid of it. image

I don't have any pillar types on the HCV, yet. I don't think. Maybe one half-real, if that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I rechecked and that one was actually 14.

this was the 10 one. sorry for the color balance.

my budget is killed with this kind of purchase, but I love 'em just the same.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, you can get a lot of historical bang for the buck with holeys. These are prime examples.

As I suspected, your 1791 is a Peruvian-minted coin, not Mexican as the eBay seller had said. (There wasn't a 1791 Mexico City 2-reales, or my particular volume of Krause omits it.) I couldn't see the mintmark in the seller's pix, but it's clear in yours. It's the Lima monogram. That bunching of letters spells out LIMAE.

I initially thought you'd overpaid a little on that 1791. Now I don't. Not by enough to make any difference, anyway. I like both of those coins at the prices you paid. Especially the Pillar coin. I think some of the scratches on your Peruvian one might actually be old adjustment marks from when they weight-adjusted the blanks with a file. Of course they could just be scratches, too. But who cares. As to the holes, this was VERY common for the period. I suspect the coin you strung on a leather thong has been on one before, centuries ago.

In the course of my metal detecting adventures, I have dug four half-real coins, one one-real, and one two-reales piece. All but one was holed.

I don't wear the ones I dug on my Holey Coin Vest, but of course I have a number of other holeys there, which I bought.

I still need some of them in the pillar type, as I think I mentioned. I might have one half-real of the pillar type, but none of the others, to my knowledge.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>$10 + .50 strip of leather = nice little curiosity..

unfortunately the flash really washed the coin out, it has nice surfaces.. I could have taken it off and got a pic in good light but I cut the leather too tight and I actually can't take it off now without cutting it imageimageimageimageimage

still, I like the history of it.

trivia note: in 1742 princeton U was founded (then, the college of nj) >>

This coin is a Mexican 2 Reales.The mintmark is that of the Mexico City mint,which is the letter 'M' with an 'o' above it.

Aidan.

• Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Who is Charles?