Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

newps from Heritage last week

"Leopold I Hogmouth" Yes, he was wierd looking This was caused by inbreeding!

I do not know much about the specifics of this coin. It is large, almost 1 7/8th inches in diameter. KM214.7 (alot of good that does me, I don't have that book)

No idea as to mintages, dimensions or weight. It's one very cool large piece of silver!

An interesting blend of crudeness and exquisite design. The year was 1693! This would be my oldest coin if you were to discount the roman stuff, which is far older.

Obviously cleaned somewhat recently. It is developing some color especially on the reverse. I am happy to be its caretaker; i'm sure it has had many!

...more to come...

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    8 Reales from Costa Rica, 1825. I'm pretty sure it's Costa Rica, anyway. At the time there was no mint in Costa Rica, so this coin was minted in Guatemala. Thus, some books/auctions list it as a Guatemalan coin.

I've always wanted one of these coins with the setting sun and the 5 mountain peaks. There is a version in gold with the sun at high noon.

KM4 (I don't have the book so that does me no good) NGC XF-45

Very dark patina.

Another crude coin, it's not quite round and it's jammed into an NGC gasket; it is sort of ill-fitting in the slab. Thus, I had a slight focus issue in one corner as the coin was not being held square to the camera. I should probably reshoot with shims or crack the coin out of the ill fitting slab.

...more to come...the rest is gold...

• Options
    Sweden - 20 Kronor - 1876. Mintage 103,000. 0.2593 oz gold. 8.9606g. KM744.

A very nice warm yummy orange coin. NGC MS-65

The obverse shows lots of die polish lines. I lit the coin so that they show up well.

• Options
    French 50 Francs. Napoleon III. 1862 (a rather difficult year for US coinage).
    Mintage 24,000. KM804.1. 16.129g. 0.4667 ounces of gold.

...not done yet...

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice purchases, I've always liked the hogmouths and that Costa Rica obverse.
  • Options
    A 1925 '20 dinara' piece from Yugoslavia. The camera caught and emphasized some odd qualities in the surface of this coin.

KM7 6.4516g 0.1867 ounces of gold. 21mm. IGC MS-63. Mintage of 1,000 probably means that they were minted and simultaneously hoarded and unpopular or that this is an unlisted restrike of some sort.

• Options
    The big one. My largest world gold piece...

A 20 Soles piece from Peru. Another hard year in the US...1863.

This is a one year type. KM194. 32.2581g. 0.9334 oz of gold. Mintage unknown; they probably made alot of them in this one year.

Peligro!!! Llama!!!

Die cracks!!!

A seated Liberty, but not typical!

• Options
    A 'pond' from South Africa...1898

KM10.2. Mintage 137,000. 7.988g. 0.2352 oz of gold. NGC AU-58.

I lit the obverse trying to catch the color in the text "Zuid". Unfortunately, I made the rest of the coin suffer in doing that and did not notice!

Little wagon on the reverse...little settler with what looks like a little rifle...little lion eyeing him up for dinner...

WHEW. That's it. I'm done. Well, that's the 'world' stuff anyway...

It's a major extension to my world collection. And it whets my appetite for more (when I can afford it).

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice haul! You were busy at the auction. I like the hogmouth and costa rican pieces in particular. image
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Adam,

Nice coins and great photo job.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I do love a thaler, and a Hogmouth thaler is all the cooler.

Hungary, 1 thaler, 1693-KB. KM214.7, Dav#3263A. Composition: silver (no bullion weights specified, so it must have varied slightly).

3rd Edition Krause values (circa 2003): $60 VG, $110 F, $175 VF, $300 XF, unpriced in UNC, with a dash (-), indicating UNC coins exist.

Yours looks a nice AU to me? A light cleaning should not be a major issue, though if you say the cleaning was recent, that's too bad. Nevertheless, what I see in the pictures looks great. Cleaning or old jewelry mounts are pretty common on old thalers. The KB mintmark is Kremnitz.

I like the "CircCam" contrast on your Central American Republic piece.

Central American Republic, 8 reales, 1825-NG-M. KM4, .903 silver/.7859 oz.

4th Edition Krause values (circa 2004): $25.00 F, $50.00 VF, $125.00 XF, $750.00 UNC.

The "NG" mintmark stands for "Nueva Guatemala", I believe. You are apparently mistaken about there not having been a mint in Costa Rica, though- there was one at San Jose, Costa Rica. Those coins carry the "CR" mintmark. The "M" after the NG mintmark on your piece is probably a mintmaster's or assayer's initial. Krause usually gives the names of these people but in this particular case, I don't see it listed in my 4th Edition 19th century volume.

The Central American Republic lasted from 1823-1839 and was a confederation of many of what are today's Central American nations.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The Hogmouth: AU is probably a good guess. What was circulation back then anyway? This coin looks to be in very good shape and is on the upper end of AU? It has been treated well. Or rather, treated differently.

Recent is relative. It's got a pleasant gray tone. The Hogmouth is 316 years old, so by recent, I mean probably cleaned within the century. I don't think the surface I am seeing is three hundred years old, but it seems consistent with silver surfaces i've seen that have been about 100 years old. It may have been stored well?

This is really the first piece i've seen in hand closely, so i'm not certain what to expect as typical. It's a little rough around the edges; it's not quite flat, it's thickness is not consistent. The edge is irregular. Yet, the engraving is fine. Details are not spared; this is a design that was fussed over. It's got what looks like a die crack or three as well. This coin has quite an attitude!

Thanks for filling in the correct information about the Central American coin. I should probably not post the half-truths that I've dug up who knows where. It's good to know more details about this coin. I guess I must pick up a Krause book on silver.

Prices have gone up from your Krause books!!! I don't think I got a huge deal, but i'm very happy. Some other, very similar coins to these, sold for more than three times what I paid! Some of this stuff is very expensive and rare!!!

• Options
    Some things you can throw Krause out the window for. These might be good examples. And some things are overvalued or undervalued in Krause. (Lots of overvalued stuff in the 20th century volume, and undervalued stuff in the 17th and 18th century volumes, in my opinion).

You really should invest in all four volumes, though. (Well, five volumes, now that the 21st century is separate.)

That will cover you from 1601 up. I fuss and complain about Krause's errors and omissions, which are bedeviling at times, but the fact is, they're the only show in town, for complete world coverage in one place. Buy them. You will not be sorry, and they will pay for themselves.

<< <i>This is really the first piece i've seen in hand closely, so i'm not certain what to expect as typical. It's a little rough around the edges; it's not quite flat, it's thickness is not consistent. The edge is irregular. Yet, the engraving is fine. Details are not spared; this is a design that was fussed over. It's got what looks like a die crack or three as well. This coin has quite an attitude! >>

Irregular edges, inconsistent thickness, and so on are par for the course for the 17th century. The technology was different; in some ways more like that of the Roman coins I sold you than like today's coins. Your thaler was no doubt well preserved by generations of collectors before you, but even in its own time it probably did not circulate very much because it was a high-denomination piece that probably sat in some nobleman's coffers and didn't change hands much. The common folk probably didn't handle these very often- they'd have used the smaller kreuzers and minor coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Leopold Hogmouth....Love to say it too!!!!

Great coins and pics!!!!! image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Leopold I Hogmouth" Yes, he was wierd looking This was caused by inbreeding!

I do not know much about the specifics of this coin. It is large, almost 1 7/8th inches in diameter. KM214.7 (alot of good that does me, I don't have that book)

No idea as to mintages, dimensions or weight. It's one very cool large piece of silver!

An interesting blend of crudeness and exquisite design. The year was 1693! This would be my oldest coin if you were to discount the roman stuff, which is far older.

Obviously cleaned somewhat recently. It is developing some color especially on the reverse. I am happy to be its caretaker; i'm sure it has had many!

...more to come... >>

Beautiful, Beautiful,Beautiful,Beautiful,Beautiful oh and did I tell you its Beautifulimageimage
    and you have great tasteimage

I'm Hungarianimage

Stefanie

mine is at NGC awaiting a grade.....I wish they would hurryimage

• Options
  • Options
    I wonder how they cram these things in an NGC holder. These coins are not round. Not even close.

I don't think I could put mine in a slab. It's edge is just too crude and cool. The coin isn't an even thickness all the way across and you'd never see that if it was in plastic.

At 47mm, it's huge.

It's amazing that the die cracks are identical. I wonder how many were made?

It's remarkable how fine the detail is. They really fussed over the hair and the eagle feathers. The picture, as clear as it is, doesn't seem to convey the sharp details you see in person.

Your coin looks like it has acquired an interesting tone over the years.

Those Thalers with city scapes also attract me. However, I have yet to see one that is affordable to me.

• Options
    They told me it is going into an oversized holder. I think the ones they use for medals
    Its to large for PCGS, they don't have anything that bigimage

I am not sure as to the mintage, but I do remember it was on the low side.

It amazes me every time I look at this coin the detail....WOW.

And its very cool that its possible yours and mine came from the same diesimage

Stefanie
  • Options
    Hi Stefanie,
    I would love to know what NGC decides on that one when it finds its way back home to you.
  • Options
    A question about "Adjustment Marks". I did not know what they were until I read about them. Apparently, to get the right weight in the silver planchet, sometimes a file was used to file some metal off. This left deep gouges in the planchet, often non-parallel marks. The striking of the planchet would obliterate some of these marks.

Towards the top of the obverse of the Hogsmouth Thaler posted in the first post, I see a bunch of horizontal lines. Mainly in the rim area, but a few are visible in the devices. They don't seem to be completely continuous. through the fields.

Are these adjustment marks, then?

On Stephanie's Thaler, I also see a few similar marks, fainter, and mostly vertical in direction. A few are visible in the center of the obverse device, I can see just a touch of scoring in the rims too.

That would be pretty cool. I had thought that the coin had been mangled somehow, but it seems that post mint damage would be different than this, and would show up more in the fields. The fields themselves look more or less clean of these gouges which seems to be one of the indications of adjustment marks.

• Options
    Adjustment marks frequently look like what they usually were- marks made by a file.

If they weren't very deep, the striking of the coin usually moved the metal around sufficiently to hide them. Some deeper adjustment marks resisted the effect of the strike, though, and remain visible.

I think the criscross marks on the obverse of BillyKingsley's recently-posted Austrian Netherlands kronenthaler look rather like adjustment marks to me.

(They may not be, and could very well be "plain old scratches" from something else, but to me they look sort of like they might be adjustment marks.)

• Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    A first for me in a Heritage sale! I won each of the 4 lots I wanted without breaking the bank
    (perhaps the stock market plunge made some buyers a bit cautious). I also learned that if
    you're uncomfortable with auction lots simply arriving in your unsecured mailbox, Heritage customer
    service will mark your account "signed for" delivery only. Here's my favorite from the sale.
    Charles II's embarkation from the Netherlands to assume the crown of England in 1660.

• Options
    Wow rwyarmch - that is a beauty.
  • Options
    Wow, now that's a cool coin!

Um. Er. Uh.

STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!!!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>8 Reales from Costa Rica, 1825. I'm pretty sure it's Costa Rica, anyway. At the time there was no mint in Costa Rica, so this coin was minted in Guatemala. Thus, some books/auctions list it as a Guatemalan coin.

I've always wanted one of these coins with the setting sun and the 5 mountain peaks. There is a version in gold with the sun at high noon.

KM4 (I don't have the book so that does me no good) NGC XF-45

Very dark patina.

Another crude coin, it's not quite round and it's jammed into an NGC gasket; it is sort of ill-fitting in the slab. Thus, I had a slight focus issue in one corner as the coin was not being held square to the camera. I should probably reshoot with shims or crack the coin out of the ill fitting slab.

...more to come...the rest is gold... >>

Costa Rica

Guatemala, LordM is right