Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

*SOLD* 1-day auction HERE: 1859-O Seated dollar, EF45-ish details, lightly polished but pretty

SOLD, FOR $300.

I recently acquired this coin and just realized I have three No Motto Seated dollars. Of the other two I have, one is ANACS slabbed and the second is a PCGS slab crackout, which makes this the "odd one out", so to speak. In some ways. Actually, it's the highest-graded of the three, details-wise.

There are some faint rim ticks which were exaggerated by my scanner and which aren't particularly noticeable in hand. Also, the coin seems to have received a light polishing a while back. It's just a little bit too shiny, which is not that apparent in the scans, either.

However, it has acquired a little bit of grey secondary toning, which mitigates some of the overshiny appearance, and it's got sharp details, around EF45 or so, I'd reckon, with the reverse being easily AU.

I'd not give this coin very good chances of slabbing at a top-tier grading service, because of the old polishing, but its sharp details and eye appeal are enough to make it a fine candidate for a raw type set, such as a Dansco #7070 album or something along those lines.

2008 Redbook price for a problem-free 1859-O Seated dollar would be $500 in EF40 and $700 in AU50.

Numismedia says $480 in EF40 and $760 in AU50.

Greysheet? Well, I don't really use it. Somebody just kindly sent me several recent issues, so I suppose I'd better check that.

In any event, on a "problem" coin like this, it's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. I've personally never minded "problem" coins like this, as long as they had nice eye appeal, and were priced accordingly. But how should I price such a coin?

I'll throw out a minimum bid and let the buyers decide, that's how. It's a little past 8:00 Eastern time on Monday, right now.

How about I say whoever gives me the highest offer by 12:00 Midnight Eastern time tomorrow (when Tuesday night rolls into Wednesday morning) will be the winner?

Insured shipping will be paid for by me. PayPal will also be acceptable.

I'll start the bidding at $250.00.

Current bid: $300.00.

High bidder: C***t.

Next minimum bid: $310.00.

NOTE: to avoid my angering folks by overbumping this thread to the top each time, you may PM your bids, if you like, rather than posting them in the open. I'll do like eBay and just post the first and last letters of your user ID. Of course, if you find this at the bottom of the page and feel like bidding in the open and bumping it, that's up to you, and I'd appreciate it, since I've only got a little over 24 hours to run this auction.

Whatever your highest bid is, I'll jump it to that amount, like it would in a mail bid sale, instead of eBay. So bid whatever you're willing to pay, maximum, regardless of what the minimum next bid is. I'll use ten dollar increments. For example, if we're at $260.00, the next minimum bid is $270.00, but if somebody bids $300.00, then that's the current high bid, and the next bid would then be $310.00 minimum.

Edit:

Here's a less-than-ideal digital photograph of the coin, to go with the scans above. As you can see in the photo, the tiny rim ticks do not jump out at you like the did when the scans exaggerated them. The photos still don't quite show the overshiny aspect, but used in conjunction with the scans above, they should give a reasonably good idea of what the coin looks like. The shine from the polishing could almost be mistaken for semi-prooflike surfaces. It's sort of both a plus and a minus. A plus, since it's attractive, in a way, and a minus, because of course it is a result of the old polishing job. I think you'll agree that this is a handsome coin, regardless, and naturally there's a full return privilege, including return shipping fees, if you're less than satisfied with it.

Further note: IF you win this auction, I might be amenable to trade-ins of other 19th century types I need. Like a With Motto Seated dollar or a Reeded Edge Bust half, for example. Or a Draped or Classic Head large cent, or any half cent. Assuming we could come to an agreement as to the trade-in value of your coins. Your trade offer need not be slabbed coins, but I do want pieces with good eye appeal.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments