Home Sports Talk
Options

Kyle Lohse

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
The Cards gave him $41 mil over 4 years. I wonder how much they will give me for the mustard they use when they have to eat that contract. I realize he was 15-6 this year, but he has been a league average pitcher, at best, throughput his career. He had 119 strike outs in 200 innings this year-it is tough to win like that. His peripherals were not as good as his won lost record.

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A .500 starting pitcher makes $8mm to $10mm per year. Darren Dreifort is set for life because of this.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that it was a coincidence that he got with Dave Duncan and improved that very year.

Shane

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    only good thing I see from this is that if he has Dave Duncan for four more years as pitching coach then the Cardinals may be alright. There is something about him that makes pitchers better when they get to St. Louis.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>only good thing I see from this is that if he has Dave Duncan for four more years as pitching coach then the Cardinals may be alright. There is something about him that makes pitchers better when they get to St. Louis. >>

or maybe going from the band boxes that are the Red and Phillies home stadiums to a bigger ballpark help too.

whoknows.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    You are complaining about Lohse getting a a good contract? Jeez, some people have way too much free time.
  • Options
    What! He was run out of Minnesota, and we usually are pretty good on that judgement.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I don't see Lohse as much more than a .500 pitcher over the duration of this deal, but as someone noted, this is the going rate for mediocrity. Still, I hope that this is a sign of things to come. I'm just speculating, but the Cardinals have to be a pretty profitable franchise. Hopefully they'll keep the pocketbook open once free agent season begins and add another arm or two.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Neyer on Lohse:

Anyway, I digress. Kyle Lohse … Yes, this is a dreadful use of resources. Today a friend and I decided that yes, $10 million really is what average starting pitchers get these days, and few pitchers are more average than Lohse, whose ERA+ for the last seven seasons is just a shade under 100 (i.e. league average). Also, few pitchers have been more durable, as Lohse has averaged 30 starts per season.
  • Options
    As a Cardinal fan I'm actually pretty excited that they signed Lohse. He had a pretty good year for us and hopefully w/ Duncans help can have a few more. Now if we can just figure out a way to be rid of Mark Mulder...

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    How can you be a Cardinal fan with a Dodgers avatar?
  • Options
    I'm a Cardinal fan, always have been. But one of my collecting passions is collecting Brooklyn Dodger cards from 1948-1957. I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    It might be heresy in St. Louis, but Duncan seems a bit overrated to me. He gets more than his fair share of credit for seasons like Lohse's '08 campaign, yet bears little or no blame for failures like Jason Marquis. Of course, another Marquis would be great compared to some of the other epic turnarounds Duncan has orchestrated in recent years - e.g. Sidney Ponson and Kip Wells.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>It might be heresy in St. Louis, but Duncan seems a bit overrated to me. He gets more than his fair share of credit for seasons like Lohse's '08 campaign, yet bears little or no blame for failures like Jason Marquis. Of course, another Marquis would be great compared to some of the other epic turnarounds Duncan has orchestrated in recent years - e.g. Sidney Ponson and Kip Wells. >>

Wells. What a joke that guy was. He ranks right there w/ Isringhausen in my books: worthless. I cringed anytime either one of them entered a game.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How can you be a Cardinal fan with a Dodgers avatar? >>

dude, you have a picture of Alex Rodriguez in your avatar!