Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The onekram scam revealed!

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is in regards to these threads:

Thread #1
Thread #2
And possibly a few more.

One day, out of the blue I get a coin for attribution. No big deal, I get these all the time. I charge $4 plus retrun postage for the service.
But this coin was sent through his lawyer! OK, so I got it attributed and sent it back. Then all HeII breaks loose!

His lawyer contacts me, making all kids of threats and I find a complaint has been filed 4/14/08 with the Ohio Attorney General! In it, the description of the item reads: Consumer sent a rare coin to this gentle @ his (sic.) company to get appraised. Company is refusing to send the coin back. Consumer states the coin is in excess of 2 million dollars

OK, I get a letter off right away and prepare for a lawsuit:

Marc D----
Attorney General
State of Ohio
30 E. Broad St. 14th. Floor.
Columbus, OH 43215

RE: Complaint #----

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the opportunity to address this issue. Mr. K---- was recommended by Heritage Auctions of Dallas to submit a coin to me that he believed was a collectible die variety of a 1873 Indian Cent. In late March he sent the coin to me. I quickly examined it and determined that there was no collectible die variety and returned it on April 4th, 2008 via registered mail. Mr. K---- had included $20 for the attribution and return postage.

[A few paragraphs of my professional career history edited out here.]

The coin in question is an average circulated Indian cent in VF to XF grade which for a 1873 “Closed 3”, has a value of $100 to $200. Mr. K----'s coin is not a rare die variety. As a point of reference, the best die variety of this year, the Snow-1, is valued at most at $5,000 in this grade.
Mr. K----- upon receiving the coin on or around April 10, informed my office about the problem. He claimed that the coin he received was not the same one he sent. During the week following, I was away at a coin show in Chicago, but was able to e-mail Mr. K---- and I asked him to send me pictures of the coin he sent and the coin I sent him.
Mr. K---- is wrong that I sent him a different coin. The two images he sent me are certainly of the same coin. I am enclosing a printout of Mr. K----'s pictures with my annotations showing that they are the same coin. I hope you agree that Mr. K----- is wrong in his assumption of wrongdoing on my part.

Sincerely,

Richard Snow
President,
Eagle Eye Rare Coins

After that nothing was heard of Mr. K---- again. until now.

Be very carefull with this guy!
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    good luck Rick, sounds like another douschebag,image
    toner loner
  • Options
    Wow, we all knew something was up, but that puts a whole new level to that image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick:

What a treat for you--you get to spend time and quite possibly money dealing with that person. All for the magnificent sum of $4. Some days it just doesn't pay to open the mail!
    Mark

• Options
    Holy cow- sorry you have to go through this.image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, this is from April! No problem anymore.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    This onekram has been posting his "perceived" problem on many forums.

And everyone has told the tool that it's the same coin!!!!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oho.

That explains the seemingly mentally-unbalanced postings.

Scary, from a dealer's point of view. What's to stop an unbalanced loon from making such an accusation of anyone?

Or, for that matter, from either point of view.

On the flip side, what's to stop a dealer from actually performing such a switch and saying that the person who accuses him is an unbalanced loon?

Therein lies the problem. Naturally, I can pretty easily figure out which scenario is the real one, in this case.

But unfortunately I won't be on the jury, if there even will be a jury.

I hope the pictures and documentation make this go away quickly for you. If the unbalanced ravings of your accuser don't. Maybe he'll foam at the mouth or his eyes will pinwheel around enough to make them see what's up and dismiss the charges.

(Edit- oh, so I take it this already came to pass. Good.)

BTW, I got the IHC I recently purchased from your site. Nice coin, and thanks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    May I interject that a small but not insignificant percentage of our population are quasi- compensated paranoid schizophrenics?

These people can be energetic, creative and even entertaining but if they get a paranoid hair up their butt it can be damn hard to pull it out. . .

And there's hell to pay if such a person has access to family money and can hire a legal firm who simply follows the instructions of their moneyed client and are happy to let the matter play out in court at $500 an hour.

Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    I have some worn ihc's I value in excess of $2 million dollars as well

where should I send them?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    This jerk so reminds me of my brother in law that inherited bags and buckets of silver coins from his Dad.

Having only seen a few of these I suggested sort them by date and then by MM and then do a search on the price guide to see if anything really stood out. If he found any, I suggested he send them in for grading. His reply was that he did not trust sending them through the US Mail and he did not trust that PCGS, if he sent a rare one in, wouldn't switch it for a common coin and keep his rarity!

I tried to explain that their entire reputation rested on the trust they have with their customers but he would not even hear of it!

He would not even take them to a coin dealer for opinions out of fear that he would be tracked down and robbed.

Now, my brother in law can be a bit stubborn but IMO this was way off the mark.

This fella that Rick is dealing with is probably a member in good standing to any "Conspiracy Theory" groups and is simply not playing with a full deck of cards!

I'm really sorry that you've had to suffer through this Rick but I am glad that at least we now all know the "reputable dealer" that was involved in this charade. I could tell from the outset that the coins pictured were exactly the same, only photographed or scanned under different lighting conditions and tried tell relate this. But this fella has his mind made up and there just is no reasoning or discussing it with him.

If this has been closed, I can;t help but wonder why this fella keeps bringing this up as this subject has been addressed on at least three different forums with the same results on all three.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    You might want to post this ATS as he has a thread over there as well.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I figured it was something like this.....image
    Becky
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Ed
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured it was you from the way the various threads have cropped up from this guy. The CONECA thread was dated May 5 and in it Mike Diamond suggested you for authentication. On May 30 he started a thread here about a respected dealer not sending him back the same coin. Thanks for sharing your side of the story. I certainly hope you've heard the last of him (and his lawyer, who I hope is charging him by the hour).

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onekram guess what...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This jerk so reminds me of my brother in law that inherited bags and buckets of silver coins from his Dad.

Having only seen a few of these I suggested sort them by date and then by MM and then do a search on the price guide to see if anything really stood out. If he found any, I suggested he send them in for grading. His reply was that he did not trust sending them through the US Mail and he did not trust that PCGS, if he sent a rare one in, wouldn't switch it for a common coin and keep his rarity!

I tried to explain that their entire reputation rested on the trust they have with their customers but he would not even hear of it!

He would not even take them to a coin dealer for opinions out of fear that he would be tracked down and robbed.
    >>

ESPN Magazine had a fascinating article last month about a retired trucker who purchased a Honus Wagner card decades ago at an estate sale (link to article here). When he decided to sell the card he refused to have it authenticated by PSA because that would mean turning over possession to "strangers he did not trust," and that the card would be damaged or replaced. With some experts raising serious issues about the card's authenticity, it remains unsold.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    The guy sounds like he has a screw loose. Be careful, Rick.

Ray
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This jerk so reminds me of my brother in law that inherited bags and buckets of silver coins from his Dad.

>>

ESPN Magazine had a fascinating article last month about a retired trucker who purchased a Honus Wagner card decades ago at an estate sale (link to article here). When he decided to sell the card he refused to have it authenticated by PSA because that would mean turning over possession to "strangers he did not trust," and that the card would be damaged or replaced. With some experts raising serious issues about the card's authenticity, it remains unsold.

Sean Reynolds >>

Wow! I clicked the link and 50 to 60 available yet still commanding over a million bucks each?

I wonder if any of these buyers are interested in a Prototype IKE??

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    <<<If this has been closed, I can;t help but wonder why this fella keeps bringing this up as this subject has been addressed on at least three different forums with the same results on all three.>>>

I would assume his tactic may be changing to extortion. He may not be after real compensation, he may just want to reduce Mr. Snow's business enough to "compensate" for his "stolen" coin.

When I first saw his images I could not tell the difference between the two coins, except for the different conditions for imaging them. However, since more than enough people were saying the same I decided to move on since I had nothing further to add.

Mr. Snow may be the target of this individual until some other major calamity or perceived slight pulls his attention away. I wonder if he could be sued for defamation of character and loss of business?

S
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It ain't easy dealing with the public. He hasn't given up yet. I hope his aluminum foil hat falls off.
    LOONEY-LINK
  • Options

<< <i>It ain't easy dealing with the public. He hasn't given up yet. I hope his aluminum foil hat falls off.
    LOONEY-LINK >>

That thread has been locked or else I point those folks over here!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Not that I was giving onekram the benefit of the doubt, but I wanted to see what he was refering to so I looked on his photobucket page.

Exact same coin. Now he is claiming you manufactured every single mark to steal his coin? Tooled and toned to exact wear on every mark? You must have even had 125 year old dirt and grime laying around the office too. All in the week or so you had the coin?

Sorry your having to deal with this Rick. If this goes to court, make sure you file a counter claim of $10 million for the irrepairable harm he has caused to you and and the reputation of your company by posting all these slanderous remarks on all these coin sites. Heck I would probably do it anyway.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Sean Reynolds >>

Wow! I clicked the link and 50 to 60 available yet still commanding over a million bucks each?

I wonder if any of these buyers are interested in a Prototype IKE?? >>

I would but would you send the correct coin?image Just Kidding Lee I know you wouldn't sell it anyways. If you sit back and think about it that coin could change your life.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of this because of money , power, greed and corruption. image
    When will we learn ?
  • Options
    Rick;

I'm glad that it is resolved, but as noted before, is it? The scam artist is still beating the drum.... You seem to have all your "ducks in a row" as your letter to the Atty Gen was very good and you have tons of support. All who responded to the guys threads, came to the same conclusion; the two images are of the same coin. Thanks for the "heads up" and being on the front lines.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options

<< <i>No, this is from April! No problem anymore. >>

FYI: Marc Dann was booted from his position as State Attorney General. Hope you kept all your correspondence in case the scammer contacts the new AG.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Consumer states the coin is in excess of 2 million dollars >>

He should list it on eBay.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick,
    Let me know if you need a character witness.
    Tom
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rick,
    Let me know if you need a character witness.
    Tom >>

me tooimage >>

Me three, FWIW.
  • Options
    I'd volunteer as well but I do not know Rick, I only know of him.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file