Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a valuable pattern coin?1938 Jefferson 5 cent in silver.

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone have any idea of this coin/pattern value?I don't think i've seen one before.

Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    I think it's more of a fantasy piece/token issued by the Jefferson Full Step Nickel Club. It's not an actual US Mint pattern.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info,I think this may need to be reported on E-bay as it is listed here.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info,I think this may need to be reported on E-bay as it is listed here. >>

$425 image these where selling on EBay for $19-23 not long ago image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've owned several sets of the MS/Proof pieces for years. For $40 each, they are kinda cool - especially the proofs.

I did see one go for moon money in a Heritage auction a couple of years ago....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a couple but I'd stop short of calling it a "pattern".

I've seen these go for close to $200 about 5 years ago but its important for the buyer to know what they truely are.

Limited mintage of only 1,938 pairs.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're kind of neat. Fantasies, yes, but with a 1938 design.

I can see paying twenty bucks for one, maybe.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That's Ron Landis' interpretation of Felix Schlag's original design for the nickel.
    Ron told me he had a heckuva time working on that 3/4 view Monticello design, since all the angles of the building had to be just right or it wouldn't work at all.
    I'm still looking for one if I can get it for around $20.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The piece you have is an imitation of Felix Schlag’s original design for the Jefferson nickel. It’s worth a few dollars as a novelty, but that’s all.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The piece you have is an imitation of Felix Schlag’s original design for the Jefferson nickel. It’s worth a few dollars as a novelty, but that’s all. >>

I guess that means you dont own a set?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Actually, I have a couple, but I prefer the original slightly skewed version before it got "prettified."

It's just a little silver token and a nice conversation piece with non-numismatists.
  • Options

<< <i>Limited mintage of only 1,938 pairs. >>

The mintage of those might be even lower, since I believe they were being minted-as-needed at the time, and then Gallery Mint Museum was sold.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know you can still buy them for less than $40.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    I put post up yesterday about a medal set sold by MI State Numismatic Society during a dedication for a Felix Schlag Memorial at his gravesite. The set is listed on e-bay and includes a card signed by Felix's daughter. Listing says only 20 sets with a special insert in SEGS holders were sold out at the event. Anyone know anything about this? I thought about trying this thread as no one responded to mine. E-bay #350104018579.
    Dr. Terrance Wilson
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I put post up yesterday about a medal set sold by MI State Numismatic Society during a dedication for a Felix Schlag Memorial at his gravesite. The set is listed on e-bay and includes a card signed by Felix's daughter. Listing says only 20 sets with a special insert in SEGS holders were sold out at the event. Anyone know anything about this? I thought about trying this thread as no one responded to mine. E-bay #350104018579. >>

I couldn't make out the counterstamp on the pics for these. Does this mean there are now 1,958 pairs? At $225.00 for the pair, these are a bit more than the original issue. Of course the ask for Ebay #370089300432 has been raised from $425 to $475 for just the proof image
  • Options
    The counterstamp on the obverse of the Full Step Nickel Club pieces are the initials of the club and the year - FSNC2002.
    This way Landis didn't have to use a Hobby Protection Act "COPY" stamp, I figure.
  • Options

<< <i>The counterstamp on the obverse of the Full Step Nickel Club pieces are the initials of the club and the year - FSNC2002.
    This way Landis didn't have to use a Hobby Protection Act "COPY" stamp, I figure. >>

The MI State Numismatic Society ones seem to say Sept 14, 2008 on the insert so I was wondering if they are stamped 2002 or 2008, or something else. I'm also wondering if the MI State ones were made in 2008 and/or after the original 1,938, or if they are from the original minting.

• Options
    Looks like 2002 on the disc to me from here.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea where those slabs in the eBay auction came from but the coins in the slabs appear to be FSNC coins minted specifically for the FSNC by the Gallery Mint in 2001.

Order Link.

Info Page.

Perhaps someone got authorization to mint a few more up for that special dedication but I woud think that would devalue what ever collectibility existed with the 1,938 pairs from the initial run.

Excuse me: 2002!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    This is from Verne Walrafen's Gallery Mint Museum site, 2003:

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I bought a pair of proofs a while ago off the BST, IMHO very very very attractice tokens image
  • Options

<< <i>I bought a pair of proofs a while ago off the BST, IMHO very very very attractice tokens image >>

They are more medals than tokens IMO. Tokens are designed to be used for commerce in limited venues but these are not.

I agree they are nice. If only PCGS would slab them image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is another issue (supposed to be the original design submission) that I think is even nicer.

It was made out of silver and it is proof-like. I believe they were selling for around $20-25 each and are scarcer than these Gallery Mint issue.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>There is another issue (supposed to be the original design submission) that I think is even nicer.

It was made out of silver and it is proof-like. I believe they were selling for around $20-25 each and are scarcer than these Gallery Mint issue. >>

Are you thinking of this silver piece that was on Heritage and attributed to Frans Karel Hejda?

Out of the alternative Monticello designs, I like the one with the rays the best but I can't find it right now. I believe there's a die trial in a PCGS slab.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoins:

Yes! That is the one. (Thanks for taking the time to look it up). Nuts!!!!!!!!!!! It sold for $910 at Heritage 2008 ANA (Baltimore)!!!!
    Yet it is still available at Coincraft for 34 Pounds!!! What was the bidder at ANA thinking???

I remember that they rapidly disappeared back around 2005 year and I had to buy them from Coin Craft (of London, England) as they were not available in the US. CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POST: I HAD TO PAY 20 BRITISH POUNDS (NOT DOLLARS) IN 2005.

According to USpatterns.com:

<< <i>Coincraft 1938 Jefferson Nickel; The following nickel design is a modern reproduction, struck in silver, of one of the many designs made in 1938 for the Jefferson nickel. Modern dies were made by Coincraft from the original plasters. >>

Here are the pics. The design is simply awesome!

Heritage's description:

<< <i>1938 Pattern Jefferson Nickel PR66 Deep Cameo Uncertified. Not listed in Judd or Pollock. Left facing bust of Jefferson gazing upward, with the standard legends and date as on the circulating Jefferson Nickel. The reverse depicts Monticello with a map of Virginia below. The legends are consistent to the legends on the accepted design, but MONTICELLO is shifted left to make way for the map. Silver composition. This is a rejected design by Frans Karel Hejda from the design competition of early 1938. Felix Schlag's view of Monticello was rejected and the view changed to that seen on this piece, an unofficial pattern struck in an unknown small quantity in more recent years from a die made from the original Hejda galvanos. The die has since been destroyed. >>

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Talked with with a member of FSNC who knew about these medals and got some info on the MI State medals. These are the FSNC medals that MI State bought and had SEGS put a special insert label. 20 sets made up for the Schlag Memorial Dedication on Sept 14. See Numismatic News for an article on Schlag dedication. In addition to this limited set (insert) a card was printed and signed by Felix's daughter at the event in Owosso, MI. These would be part of the FSNC 1,938 sets, but they have not minted all of the sets, only about 500 sets to date. My contact indicated that they probably will not mint anymore as the dies are worn and it appears that the Gallery Mint is not really operating any more. They were not sure if the master hub has been destroyed or will be. The medals have been minted at various times since the original run in 2002, most recently about 2 years ago. These Schlag sets are part of fund raising event for MI State to pay for a state historical marker at Schlag's gravesite in addition to the monument that MI State Numismatic Society installed. The design is the original design that Felix Schlag submitted before the mint required changes. These medals are made out of silver. With the date of Sept. 14, 2008 and the signature of Felix's daughter it should add value to these particular sets. The Schlag family bought about 9 of the sets, so the one listed on e-bay will probably be the only one available for a long time. Interesting that whoever bought the one at the event in Owosso is already selling it as all of the sets sold out at the event.
    Dr. Terrance Wilson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file