Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nikon Lens?

I bought a D70 body today.

In today's market, what is the best lens for me
to purchase for coin photography?
Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Any macro lens 100mm or larger should give good working space for lighting purposes.

Make sure it is not a zoom lens.

Edited: oh yeah, just click a few of those nifty google ads that say Nikon. image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for that body the 105mm D lens or if you really feel like spending money the VR lens. The manual lenses will not meter with that body so it all has to be done manually.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigma 105mm.

Ray
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    the two best, IMO are:
    200mm micro-nikon
    85 tilt/shift with extension tubes
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I think Broadstruck had a 105 for sale in the BST.

A buddy loaned me a 150 Sigma a while back - that worked GREAT!

Same buddy has let me use his Nikkor micro 85mm Tilt/shift lens on an "extended" basis. I'll probably have to settle up with him someday, but for the next number of months I'm shooting with that - neat lens.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nikon 105/4 Micro-Nikkor manual focus. Less than $200 used and you'll be able to resell it for pretty much what you pay if you so choose later. A T/S lens is a pretty huge investment, so don't go jumping at that lens just yet until you know you need it (not just until someone tells you to get it).
  • Options
    You'll need a good sized photostand for any 105 mm macro lense but with that set up you can play with lighting and get exactly what you want.

I bought a used Sigma 105 from a professional photographer on ebay, I could not distinguish it from new yet it cost 1/2 the lowest price I could find for a new Sigma 105. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    A decent 105 (Sigma, Nikon, used or new) is a good all-around lens for a reasonable price. If you want to spend a lot there are more options. As Messydesk suggested, the 85 tilt and shift is expensive and not all that easy to use.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one of the older 105 manual lens. If I was doing it again I would get the Nikon Nikor 105 full auto lens at the extra expense. The auto fucus and auto shutter and apature would make the camera/ lens combo must more user friendly. I will probably upgrade in the very near futher, and have to pospone buying a coin or two for the new lens. Then I have to try selling off the old one.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Broadstruck had a 105 for sale in the BST.

A buddy loaned me a 150 Sigma a while back - that worked GREAT!

Same buddy has let me use his Nikkor micro 85mm Tilt/shift lens on an "extended" basis. I'll probably have to settle up with him someday, but for the next number of months I'm shooting with that - neat lens. >>

I already PM'd sbeverly. image

I'll join back in on the threads once I get adblock installed as these goggle are driving me bonkers... they are like a Broadstruck Scarecrow! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I want to thank everyone for their input.

regards
    Steve
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    One more thought... I also have a D70 and use
    A Nikkor AF Micro 60MM 1:2.8 D

I use it with a Photostand. There is a guy on EBay that makes
    beautiful , sturdy Photostands for DSR cameras.

It delivers some awesome pics!

Coiny

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file