Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1976 T2 Clashed Dies Ike question... (pics added)

sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
How common are clashed dies on 1976 T2 (thin letter reverse) Eisenhowers?

I found one with moon and bell remnants in the IGWT motto, a line in the field between the lip in nose and some moon behind the head on the obverse. The reverse has a pronounced forebrow, nose and upper lip to the left of the bell, a partial "E"(from the IGWT motto) between top of bell and moon, and back of neck line at about the 4 O'clock position coming off the moon.

It would be a strong MS65-66 coin except for a bag mark from moon to EPU motto on reverse, and as such would probably at best make MS64.

V/R

Sumdunce
BTW... I paid $1.15 for it... image

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never run across one LaMont and Rob Ezerman has one up on eBay. (Unless thats your's!)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    This one was purchased today.

Will check feeBay though.

S
  • Options
    The one on feeBay is of a different die pair compared to the one I have. Mine is a single hit in a different location (compared by the "E" in IGWT) and the one on feeBay has been clashed twice.

S
  • Options
    Sumdunce, you do have luck finding Ikes! You've got a good one there. Don't know if the one I have up on the bay will sell at the price I set but it's not way high. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    I spotted another coin shop yesterday when driving to a local drive in restaurant for an old car show.

Presently getting in my coin-ninja gear to go see what else I can score. image

S
  • Options
    Common(?) nah; the stronger the clash, and higher the grade, the rarer it is. As far as I know, the following scans are of the only known clashed WE. I missed Robs auction and would appreciate the auction ID; I've not seen the double clashed one.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    That is a strong die clash.

Very nice grade too.

V/R

Sumdunce
  • Options
    My scanner is just terrible getting copper-nickel details.

Obverse:

Reverse:

IGWT motto:

Bell left:

Bell top:

For what its worth, those are the best I can do with the images.

S

• Options
    I have a tough time with my scanner too, I use an old Digital Blue(toy microscope) for the real "close-ups". I guess that I'm to lazy & cheap to buy and learn REAL picture taking.... I can see the clash, and it appears weak; though it probably looks a lot better in hand.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options

<< <i> I missed Robs auction and would appreciate the auction ID; I've not seen the double clashed one. >>

Here you go!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The clashing is almost as strong as the silver one I posted in another thread. Its just the scanner does not pick up the details like it does on silver coins.

S
  • Options
    Thanks for Robs auction Lee, I don't know how I didn't see it; I'll just put it down to another "senior moment"....
    John G Bradley II
  • Options

<< <i>The clashing is almost as strong as the silver one I posted in another thread. Its just the scanner does not pick up the details like it does on silver coins.

S >>

Die clashing is nearly impossible to get imaged on a scanner so if you're gonna keep this up, you really should invest in a camera and scope. Then you could get shots like this:

or this:

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I guess its time to just bite the bullet and get an USB microscope.

V/R

Sumdunce

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file