Home Sports Talk

Joe Mauer...

Is an amazing ball player.

At just 25 years of age he is about to wrap up his second batting title. That in itself is great but to do this as a catcher is amazing!

hope he has a long and great career!

mathew
baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
NHL hall of fame rookies

Comments

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is an amazing ball player.

At just 25 years of age he is about to wrap up his second batting title. That in itself is great but to do this as a catcher is amazing!

hope he has a long and great career!

mathew >>

If he can keep hitting .330, he will make $15mm to $20mm per year when he is eligible for free agency. Good hitting catchers are a rare species these days.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    has MN locked up any of his FA years?
  • "Baby Jesus" has been everything we hoped he would be. Plus, he and Morneau are expected to be lifetime Twins. There is NO way either of these guys leave 'Sota, they will be the face of a very successful era of Twins baseball.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    2 batting titles and a catcher too boot.

I wonder how the sabregeeks can downplay this guy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Winpitcher,

It is quite the opposite of what you are saying about the Sabergeeks. The Sabergeeks actually like this player because he merits his praise. This is a prime example where something like an RBI total is hiding the truth, and the truth is that Mauer is fantastic, and a better player than many guys who have more RBI than he.

• When, oh when, are we going to start hearing the media dub the 2 of them the new M + M boys?
    I was going to start a thread about 2 weeks ago on unheralded players, Mauer being at the top. I really wish he'd play more (for instance DH twice a week and catch the other 4 instead of always taking Sunday off), but other than that no complaints.
    Jay
  • Mauer is a great contact hitter that benefits from the fast astroturf inside the Metrodome. He has below average power numbers in a true hitters ballpark.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Mauer is a pleasure to watch. While everyone would like his power numbers to more homers, his OBP has made Morneau's career. Those who think Mauer and Morneau are lifetime Twins haven't watched Pohlad over the years.

This year the Twins have a shot, but they would have been a lock if not for their idiotic pre-season moves. I didn't like Santana/Gomez or Garza/Young, but I really HATE that they added Bartlett for Harris in the Rays deal.

The Twins need to put up 8-10 tonight if they want to advance. The pitching just gets lit up on the road.