Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New York City - Who to see

I'm going to be in NYC on Saturday, any recommended world dealers worth visiting? They would need to be in the city, I probably do not have time to go out to New Jersey.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    A guy by the name of Bosco. But, I am not sure that he has a shop. -Dan
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Stacks comes to mind ?
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Paul Bosco no longer has a shop.

Given the high rents in NYC, Stack's is the only coin shop worth visiting.

If their store layout is the same, the world coins are upstairs and the sign on the door doesn't say "Stack's", it says "Coin Galleries" or something like that. The customer area is pretty small, but, as I recall, if they're not busy they're very happy to talk to you.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I noticed a few years back that Paul Bosco planned to close his store. That was a bummer, since his store was a lot of fun to browse. I'm glad I got to go there a few times in the 90's and basically clean out his better British material.

From a Brit 19th century perspective, I'm not very impressed with Stacks anymore - they've had nada the last couple of times I've been in the city. I did get a couple of nice bits from them, but again that was in the nineties.

I haven't found much in Bergen County, NJ either.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest calling Paul Bosco. I don't know if his new place is open to the public, but you can always ask for an appointment.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A guy by the name of Bosco. But, I am not sure that he has a shop. >>

I thought that was a joke, and the guy's name could just as well have been "Guido" or something like that. I pictured some pasta-fed leviathan in a dark striped suit and lots of gold chains, opening the trunk of an old Caddy with fins, saying, "Coins? Yeah, we got coins! What kinda coins youse want, anyways?"

Apologies to the real Mr. Bosco, since it appears it wasn't a joke. Obviously he's a respected fellow, to get such word of mouth.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I think Paul Bosco is mostly into medals now (at least that's what he puts on display at the New York International Show).

By the way, Lord M, if you want to see what a "Bosco" looks like, he and his wife are pictured on page 78 of the October edition of The Numismatist.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Paul Bosco is mostly into medals now (at least that's what he puts on display at the New York International Show).

He has plenty of coins too. Many thousands of them. Just don't expect him to know where anything is. You'll have to stumble on it.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have to look for him at the next NYINTC

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.