Home Precious Metals
Options

Poll: World Economic Crisis Effect - Inflation or Deflation?

As credit markets freeze and the economy slows, will demand for goods & services diminish & thus create deflation?

Or will the government's continued efforts to stabilize failing Wall Street institutions ultimately require the printing of new money, which in turn would weaken the dollar & create inflation?

Or will we experience stagflation - "A condition of slow economic growth and relatively high unemployment - a time of stagnation - accompanied by a rise in prices, or inflation." (Thanks 57 loaded & Storm888)

All comments & insights are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    both

paper assets deflating

hard assets inflating
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    what about stag?
    count me as stagflation
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Stagflation -

How do you see that manifesting? If you could elaborate a bit so that I understand what you mean, I will add it to the poll.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    stagnant economy + inflation = stagflation

at least i think we are headed there

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

stagflation......

investopedia definition.........

A condition of slow economic growth and relatively high unemployment - a time of stagnation - accompanied by a rise in prices, or inflation.

Stagflation occurs when the economy isn't growing but prices are, which is not a good situation for a country to be in. This happened to a great extent during the 1970s, when world oil prices rose dramatically, fueling sharp inflation in developed countries. For these countries, including the U.S., stagnation increased the inflationary effects.

////////////////////////////////////

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Demand for ALL industrial commodities is headed DEEP into the toilet.

Someday, they will have great value again. I have no idea when.

Deflationary pressures will continue to build.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Stagflation -

Could someone please depict for me the forces that create price inflation in a stagnant economy?
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    We are seeing powerful forces of deflation (destruction of credit/wealth, declining prices for many goods) being counteracted to some extent by inflationary forces (still-high fuel prices and a government bent on trashing the dollar).

In the long run the inflationary forces will win, simply because of how fragile a fiat currency is and how strong the incentives are to inflate away debt. However, in the nearer term I think deflationary forces will rule the day and cash will be king.

That doesn't mean PMs are going in the toilet, however. There's an argument to be made that PMs "are" cash. Among other things, Yahoo's currency calculator seems to believe that gold and silver are currencies. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    A stagnant economy is when there is no growth the economy is none productive..no work no products to buy...shevelves in the grocery store bare!!!!! You call it a Great Depression!!!!!
  • Options
    Why do they call it great when there is nothing Great about it!!!!! Because it involves so many people far a wide...