Home Sports Talk
Options

Congrats to the MOOSE, Mike Mussina, for FINALLY getting 20 wins in a season.

Been a long time coming!

Many, including myself thought he was all done (as in stick a fork in him!)

Is his contract up ? Do the Yanks have an option on him?

Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    I too thought he was done, but I also never held his lack of a 20 win season against him.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has a shot at 300 if he sticks around...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    YAY!! At least we have something to be proud of this year. That's 270 career wins, and he's got over 2,800 strike outs. He'll come back for two more years, get the magic 300 wins & 3,000 strikeouts (and hopefully a ring) and then stroll into The Hall. Like it or not, 300 still = HOF.

BOSTON -- Mike Mussina wrapped up a postgame television interview on the field then returned to the New York Yankees clubhouse.

In a season with little to celebrate, his teammates gave him a rousing welcome -- one he had waited his entire 18-year career to receive. Mussina had just become the oldest pitcher to win 20 games in a season for the first time as the Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox 6-2 Sunday in the opener of a rain-delayed day-night doubleheader.

Better Late Than Never

It took 18 years and every start of the 2008 season, but Mike Mussina finally won 20 games. He became the oldest pitcher to ever accomplish the feat.
    Team Year Age
    Mike Mussina Yankees 2008 39
    Jamie Moyer Mariners 2001 38
    Allie Reynolds Yankees 1952 37
    David Wells Blue Jays 2000 37

"This is one of those things that I think will take a while to sink in," said Mussina, who has won at least 18 games five other times.

Less than three months before his 40th birthday, Mussina (20-9) gave up three hits in six shutout innings in his final start.