Home Sports Talk

New College Football Poll! USC and Florida Still Overrated!

As I expected to see, USC(9) didn't drop near as far as they should have since they lost to an UNRANKED team as well neither did Florida(12). As usual, the voters want to see these two back in the hunt as fast as possible for a BCS game (not necessarily a National Championship). The voters need to be consistant accross the board when voting and not who they want to have a chance at a BCS game. It unfornunately is all about the money. A loss against an UNRANKED team (Oregon State was ranked #62) should rank USC at best 25th if not off the polls entirely There is no way they should be ahead of any one loss teams in the Top 25 as these teams didn't lose to a team ranked so far down in the polls. As for Florida, they should have been taken to bottom of polls for their loss. Who cares how close it was, these teams were UNRANKED and Oregon State took USC to school for the first three quarters and handed them their heads (That is not a top 10 team by any means).

I know there is a hot debate about having a playoff system or not but that would be the only fair way to decide National Championship. This should be less about the money made and more about wanting to find out which team is really the best in the Nation. and who deserves to be in a BCS bowl gameimage

Here is new AP Poll as of 28 Sep 08

1. Oklahoma (43)
2. Alabama (21)
3. LSU
4. Missouri (1)
5. Texas
6. Penn State
7. Texas Tech
8. BYU
9. USC
10. South Florida
11. Georgia
12. Florida
13. Auburn
14. Ohio State
15. Utah
16. Kansas
17. Boise State
18. Wisconsin
19. Vanderbilt
20. Virginia Tech
21. Oklahoma State
22. Fresno State
23. Oregon
24. Connectiut
25. Wake Forest

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    just got home and checked the polls.

what a load of crap that USC is still in the top 10.
  • Here are the one loss teams and who they lost to. (Ranking of one loss teams is current rank as of 28 Sep 08 and teams they lost to are ranked as of date of loss). This proves my point. USC is the highest ranked one loss team but their loss was worse than every one loss team still in the Top 25 except Wake Forest.

#9 USC (Lost to #62 Oregon State)
    #11 Georga (Lost to #8 Alabama)
    #12 Florida (Lost to #44 Ole Miss)
    #13 Auburn (Lost to #6 LSU)
    #14 Ohio State (Lost to #1 USC)
    #16 Kansas (Lost to #13 South Florida)
    #18 Wisconsin (Lost to #54 Michigan)
    #20 Virginia Tech (Lost to #23 East Carolina)
    #22 Fresno State (Lost to #9 Wisconsin)
    #23 Oregon (Lost to #19 Boise State)
    #25Wake Forest (Lost to #82 Navy)

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take #6 - Very happy with that right now.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USC deserves to be in the top 10 . However, Penn State, doea not deserve to be 6th. While I believe the best is yet to come for their program this season, a ranking of 6th is just not appropriate at this time. After they beat some other teams in the Big Ten, I think 6th is fine but today that is premature. It almost seems that the rankings need to be postponed unitl about the 6th week in the season. The one team that seems to deserve a lofty ranking is Alabama

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of football still to be played. The cream will rise to the top
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>just got home and checked the polls.

what a load of crap that USC is still in the top 10. >>

It that's the case then it's positively criminal to have OSU at 14.
  • coinkat,

Are you serious, USC deserves to be in the top 10? Please justify this as I have justified in this post they do not! PSU destroyed the team that USC not only lost to but was dominated in every way. This is not the Pro's. In college you have to prove yourselves every week. Not just some weeks. As for Alabama, I do agree with you on that so far.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    How in the world is Wake still in the top 25?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Oregon State played USC at home... this is a conference game for BOTH USC and Oregon State. Oregon State was walloped big time in Happy Valley by Penn State and in a non-conference game that will not make Oregon State's season. Beating USC makes the whole season for Oregon State. Folks on the east coast really do not appreciate that USC plays in confernce with a huge target on their back. If I recall correctly, it was Oregon State that beat USC two years ago 33-31. Oregon State upset USC and OJ back in 1967 3-0.

USC will bounce back and likely win their remaining games and be a factor. I have seen this happen too many times not to expect it to happen again.

Penn State is a good team... so is Missouri and Alabama. The realty is Penn State needs to finish the season unbeaten in order to play in th Championship game because there is a perception that The Big Ten is down this year because both Michigan and Ohio State have lost high profile games. Unfortunately, no one cares that Michigan State is an improved team. Illinois is exciting as ever to watch, Wisconsin is a good team and Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern are not as bad as folks think because nobody is paying attention to details. The whole Big 2 and the 8 dwarfs crap still lingers.

You might think this is all crap but unfortunately, its all perception... right or wrong.

• Hard work isn't always rewarded. Teams with a ton of talent, potential, will always be up there.

Can anyone honestly say they'd rather their team play USC than say BYU or Texas Tech?

• << <i>Oregon State played USC at home... this is a conference game for BOTH USC and Oregon State. Oregon State was walloped big time in Happy Valley by Penn State and in a non-conference game that will not make Oregon State's season. Beating USC makes the whole season for Oregon State. Folks on the east coast really do not appreciate that USC plays in confernce with a huge target on their back. If I recall correctly, it was Oregon State that beat USC two years ago 33-31. Oregon State upset USC and OJ back in 1967 3-0.

USC will bounce back and likely win their remaining games and be a factor. I have seen this happen too many times not to expect it to happen again.

Penn State is a good team... so is Missouri and Alabama. The realty is Penn State needs to finish the season unbeaten in order to play in th Championship game because there is a perception that The Big Ten is down this year because both Michigan and Ohio State have lost high profile games. Unfortunately, no one cares that Michigan State is an improved team. Illinois is exciting as ever to watch, Wisconsin is a good team and Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern are not as bad as folks think because nobody is paying attention to details. The whole Big 2 and the 8 dwarfs crap still lingers.

You might think this is all crap but unfortunately, its all perception... right or wrong. >>

Sorry, playing a conference team and losing is still losing. Just because it was a conference game does not excuse USC for them getting beat up and down the field no matter where they play. PSU may have lost games last year but all were close games either home or away. As for USC winning the rest of their games, you are probably right. How many teams do they play against that are in the top 25. Oregon? PSU will play at least 3 teams in top 25. You have proven my point stating that they will be back in the hunt as they only play one top 25 team (Oregon - #23). With the #9 ranking they should stay high. If they were ranked as they should be #25 or worse, they would not be able to climb back to top.

• << <i>Hard work isn't always rewarded. Teams with a ton of talent, potential, will always be up there.

Can anyone honestly say they'd rather their team play USC than say BYU or Texas Tech? >>

I will not say my team is best yet but would have no problem having them play anybody. The whole idea is to see who is best. Would love to play USC at their stadium in Rose Bowl just not this year.image
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    It may be a little unfair, but USC is a talented team and is ranked as such. Had an ugly off week, but are still talented and dangerous thus the ranking. they are probably better than 9th best team in the country, one week doesn't change that. Not saying they deserve to be ranked #9, just playing devil's advocate.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

• << <i>It may be a little unfair, but USC is a talented team and is ranked as such. Had an ugly off week, but are still talented and dangerous thus the ranking. they are probably better than 9th best team in the country, one week doesn't change that. Not saying they deserve to be ranked #9, just playing devil's advocate.
    John >>

Again, this is not the Pro's! One off week is one to many for chance at any BCS game. I'm not saying they shouldn't have chance at a bowl game, just not a BCS GAME.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> coinkat,

Are you serious, USC deserves to be in the top 10? Please justify this as I have justified in this post they do not! PSU destroyed the team that USC not only lost to but was dominated in every way. This is not the Pro's. In college you have to prove yourselves every week. Not just some weeks. As for Alabama, I do agree with you on that so far. >>

First of all, I'm NOT an SC fan. I'm a fan of whoever plays SC!

I think USC deserves to be in the top 10 right now. At this time who do you see below USC that has a better record or is really a proven better team than USC? The only team I see who could be ranked higher than USC would be S. Florida as they are undefeated and did beat Kansas who was #12 at the time.

Also, the majority of the top 10 teams will lose a game this year as they all have some tough games against top teams coming up during the season. At seasons end if you have USC with 1 loss and any of the top 8 teams with only 1 loss (which is very realistic) then USC should seriously be ranked below all 8 of the top 8 should based on schedule strength. There are also some teams below USC that could or should be ranked above them at seasons end if they finish with only 1 loss based on their schedule strength.

Brian

<< <i><< It may be a little unfair, but USC is a talented team and is ranked as such. Had an ugly off week, but are still talented and dangerous thus the ranking. they are probably better than 9th best team in the country, one week doesn't change that. Not saying they deserve to be ranked #9, just playing devil's advocate.
    John >>

Again, this is not the Pro's! One off week is one to many for chance at any BCS game. I'm not saying they shouldn't have chance at a bowl game, just not a BCS GAME. >>

I agree and if the top 8 teams all take care of business for the rest of the season and don't lose more than 1 game this year, they should all be ranked above USC based on their schedule strength. And USC being #9 right now keeps them out of a BCS game at this time, right?

Brian

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think the people voting are voting on how good they think these teams are. It's not just about who has no losses, or 1 loss or who lost to who win. They THINK USC and Florida should be where they are in the polls. I can't disagree. Though I love the "little guys" like Boise State should Boise State be ranked higher than USC just because they have zero losses? NO, of course not. USC would beat Boise State 8 or 9 out of 10 games if they played each other. Same can be said for any other combination of teams. USC and Florida are both very good teams. USC will likely win the rest of their games and Florida will likely win all but 1... or at least the experts think. If you want to pick apart the polls you can always do so. Hopefully one day there will be a playoff and then these arguments won't matter as much.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cal only has one loss (Maryland), was ranked in the top 25 before losing to the Terps and stomped on Clorado State this past weekend.

Fans of Old Blue are probably whining that the Bears are not back in the Top 25.

However, even with all of the talented players that Cal has (and has had over the past few years), there is just something about Cal football that rubs one the wrong way. The players have this attitude that just because they play at "Cal" (the oldest Campus in the UC System and probably, along with UCLA, the crown jewel of the UC system) their football team should be in a BCS game each year. They have had some good seasons of late, but it seems they always self destruct in one or two games each year, leaving them on the outside of the BCS bubble, pondering whether to accept a bid to play in either the "Dunkin Donut Bowl" or the "Toilet Bowl" against the #3 team out of the MAC.
    Cal is pretty irrelevant in all big sports. Yes, they are the #2 UC school in sports but that's because no other UC schools even put out high level D-1 teams. Cal is still a mid-Pac 10 team in football and basketball. Think what you want but that's the facts. When was the last time they won even a conference championship in football or basketball? Not in my lifetime and I am 40!

As for this past game one of the attorneys in my office is a big Cal fan and an alum. He goes to all the games. He went Saturday and they played awful according to him. Yes, they won but he said it was not a good game. They have complete uncertainty at QB among other problems.
    Unfortunately, I think what I wrote did not sink in... there is a perception that the Big Ten is down this year. Penn State is in the Big Ten and this could be one of the rare years that both Michigan and Ohio State fall out of the rankings in the same season. Penn State is not going to get much support for a National Title UNLESS THEY FINISH UNBEATEN and even then, there will those that would rather see an SEC V Big 12 BSC GAME (Please note BSC is intentional because I think its all a load of crap away...)

• First, I must start by saying I can't stand USC. I have been an Irish and Nittany Lion fan since Paterno was shafted out of his first National Championship in 1969.

Maybe USC should not be ranked as high as they are but I do believe this: If the eight teams in front of them comprised the rest of the 2008 USC schedule for this year, I do fear that USC would beat the majority of them.image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Hell I go to Mizzou and I think USC is just as good as we are (maybe better)

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

• << <i>lots of football still to be played. The cream will rise to the top >>

Bingo. Don't get too tied up in polls. Polls are a joke. Wait until the end of the season. At that time you can begin your debate.

• << <i>

Maybe USC should not be ranked as high as they are but I do believe this: If the eight teams in front of them comprised the rest of the 2008 USC schedule for this year, I do fear that USC would beat the majority of them.image >>

I disagree. USC would probably split those games. USC is a team that plays in a conference that historically has
    one other team in the Top 25. Some years the Pac-10 has two other teams in the Top 25. They would be just another
    team in the SEC or Big 12 (this year).
    I disagree. USC would probably split those games. USC is a team that plays in a conference that historically has
    one other team in the Top 25. Some years the Pac-10 has two other teams in the Top 25. They would be just another
    team in the SEC or Big 12 (this year).

Historically when? I don't have time to go through all of history, to determine what "historical" time period you are referring to, but go to the link below and look at the final polls from 2000-2007. It would appear the Pac 10 has 3 in most every final poll rather than 2 as you suggest. One year they have 2 and another they have 4. Plus, notice the variety of teams that get into the final Top 25. I believe all ten teams have been in the final top 25 since 2000. That's called parody my east coast bias friend. The Pac 10 is way down this year but I still believe that in modern history the Pac 10 is much better, across the board, than the national media portrays.

Polls

• << <i> I don't have time to go through all of history, L] >>

I suggest you go to rankings on espn.go.com/

Click on the rankings, and it will allow you to see the final polls the past five years.
    There you will get your answer.

No bias, just facts.
  • 2007.............ASU #17

2006.............Cal #14

2005............UCLA #16.....Oregon #12

2004............Cal #9

2003............NONE in the Top 20

2002............Washington State #10

So here is the competition USC has had in the Pac-10 over the past 6 years. USC has only had one other team finish in the Top 10 in the past 6 years, and that was Cal in 2004.
  • That's called parody my east coast bias friend.

I think you meant parity. image
    I think you meant parity.

Sad I got through law school without learning how to spell.

As to the other guy about the polls, the link I provided had USA Today polls and had Pac 10 listed in top 25 as I stated they did. I guess we can pick and choose our polls to suit our argument.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    B-Y-U!!!

Max Hall for Heisman! Dennis Pita for Heisman Runner-up!!!

BYU vs. Utah could be for the opportunity to completely screw up the BCS as if they both win out before they meet for their final game of the season. They will probably be sitting around #4 and #8 respectively.
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As I expected to see, USC(9) didn't drop near as far as they should have since they lost to an UNRANKED team as well neither did Florida(12). >>

so you're saying that you don't think USC or Florida would beat either Texas Tech or South Florida? you're on crackson jackson.

<< <i>

<< <i>As I expected to see, USC(9) didn't drop near as far as they should have since they lost to an UNRANKED team as well neither did Florida(12). >>

so you're saying that you don't think USC or Florida would beat either Texas Tech or South Florida? you're on crackson jackson. >>

what makes you think they could? They got beat by essentially 2 nothings already.

• << <i>

<< <i>

so you're saying that you don't think USC or Florida would beat either Texas Tech or South Florida? you're on crackson jackson. >>

what makes you think they could? They got beat by essentially 2 nothings already. >>

Ole Miss is a good team. They got the kid who was fighting with Colt McCoy at Texas for the starting job. They got beat on a last
    second TD at Wake Forest. They are a pretty good club, and may upset some more teams.
    This is exactly WHY I love college football.

I don't care what anyone is ranked on any poll or by the pundits on the countless shows.

ANY given team can beat ANY other team on ANY day.

<< <i> This is exactly WHY I love college football.

I don't care what anyone is ranked on any poll or by the pundits on the countless shows.

ANY given team can beat ANY other team on ANY day. >>

• BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what makes you think they could? They got beat by essentially 2 nothings already. >>

b/c Pitt just stuffed S. Florida like a Thanksgiving Day turkey at home, that's why bra
  • oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe USC should not be ranked as high as they are but I do believe this: If the eight teams in front of them comprised the rest of the 2008 USC schedule for this year, I do fear that USC would beat the majority of them.image >>

team in the SEC or Big 12 (this year). >>

So I'm saying USC would go at least 5-3 and your saying 4-4. IMHO even though we disagree slightly on what their record would be against top teams, you are still proving the point I was trying to make. Which is: USC is not over rated at all in the current polls. Again IMHO if teams are truly ranked where they should be in the polls, and they play all the teams above them, they should walk away with a somewhat dismal record, not a record of .500 or betterimage
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• << <i>Cal is pretty irrelevant in all big sports. Yes, they are the #2 UC school in sports but that's because no other UC schools even put out high level D-1 teams. Cal is still a mid-Pac 10 team in football and basketball. Think what you want but that's the facts. When was the last time they won even a conference championship in football or basketball? Not in my lifetime and I am 40! >>

Sort of true. I would currently call Cal a top tier team in football in the Pac-10 based on talent, coaching and results. Other than last year, they've been in the top 4 in the Pac-10 standings since 03. A mid Pac-10 team in football is probably UCLA or Oregon State. The top, at least in the past 5 or so seasons, are Cal and Oregon. USC, of course, is in what seems to be an unreachable higher tier for Pac-10 teams.

And they did tie for 1st in the conference in 2006 and 1975, so they were co champs those two years. They didnt go to the Rose Bowl because they lost head to head matchups with UCLA (75) and USC (06).

They are however a mid tier team in basketball.