Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help grade this coin: Could it be MS65?

Comments

• Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    The shield below the castle either has wear or is weakly struck. Eagles breast is too smooth as well. PVC in the first T of States. I would guess 62 or lower for the grade
  • Options
    I don't believe the strike would keep it from a higher grade, since you and I both know nearly all these coins were weakly struck on a hard alloy of 75% Silver, rather than the 90% Silver of mainland US coinage. It is unusual that the legend is as strong as it is. I'd be more concerned about the green between the T and A of STATES, which was stated to be PVC residue, and perhaps it is. If that was adequately addressed, and if the splotchy toning is not masking other potential problems, then I'd say it has a shot. It's a rare issue in that condition, (and by that I mean it isn't a Sea Salvage coin), so I believe it might be a candidate for NCS conservation, which afterwards could get passed on to NGC for grading. If you were to send it to PCGS, I'd recommend acetone to remove PVC beforehand. If you do have it graded, let us know what grade it finally receives.
  • Options
    I agree with you 100% IloiloKano, I will give this coin a bath with acetone and hope that PVC will go away. No plan on sending for grading yet.
    jetblack740il

==================================

Complete US-PHIL Coins for Sale, Circulation Strikes 1903-1945
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The shield below the castle either has wear or is weakly struck. Eagles breast is too smooth as well. PVC in the first T of States. I would guess 62 or lower for the grade >>

as a general rule when I see weakness and can't decide wear or not I look for other indications of actual wear on the coin. this coin is so clean otherwise (contact wise) that I assume poor strike.

just my .02
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I don't see wear, but I do see bagmarks (on the portraits) so I feel it would only garner a 64 at best, independent of how the TPG views the toning. Naturally, I'd expect the green to be dealt with prior to grading. I'm on the fence as to whether or not the coin needs to be dipped (and this is a subject for hot debate), but if it were dipped, I think it might get the higher grade.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Nice scarce coin I would have bought it too. I too see the bag mark hits on both busts, some what hidden. I also see a very fine line running down the cheek of Murphy starting just behind his eye . Sometimes light scratches can be hidden by the pvc/ toning/ dirt and will be revealed to the light by cleaning/ dipping. The biggest concern is that this coin may have a PVC film covering the fields also, they seem to have a tint of green darker then around the letters. I would use MS70 on this coin If I decided to touch it myself. Your Q-tip will turn green. It would wash the PVC off and maybe some of the black toning. Black toning is I believe the last stage of toning . I've seen it come of clean, I've seen come off almost like soot, I've also seen it come off leaving grey oxidation spots because it had begun to eat the surface. Hard to tell. The final result revealing the Lustre and any hidden hairlines or oxidation spots would give a better idea of the grade. MS62 at worse maybe better.
    Thanks for letting us analyze it.

Krueger
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as a 64. I think 65 is possible, just not probable

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    After further review, no PVC film covering the field except between T&A of STATES. I might send this coin the way it is as I have seen some coins that has PVC
    and certified like this.

jetblack740il

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    To me that just looks like ordinary crud, not PVC.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    UPDATES:
    Send it in the way it is.... came back graded PCGS MS64. Not bad at all.
    jetblack740il

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

You made out, good result!

Did you use the Acetone over the coin as suggested before you submitted it, or did it go in as pictured?

Just curious~

Thanks
    Krueger
  • Options

<< <i>Did you use the Acetone over the coin as suggested before you submitted it, or did it go in as pictured? >>

No acetone was used, just submitted as pictured.
    jetblack740il

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats - a MS-64 is a nice grade. I am glad you didnt do anything to the coin.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice... 64 seems most appropriate but a 65 would not have been unreasonable

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! I am glad you did not dip it.