Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions - 4 old British coins

My first visit over from the U.S. Coin Forum. I deal only in U.S. coins but have a client that would like some info/value on these four coins. Any help appreciated, thanks.

1691:
imageimage

1775:

imageimage

1787:

imageimage

and an 1816:

imageimage

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Comments

• Options
    I don't have that issue of Krause with me but I am sure someone will come along soon and help put.

Personally I really like that GIII 1816 !!!
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All have been rather harshly cleaned, which will affect their value somewhat.

That being said, they're still pretty decent coins. If nobody gives you values and grades by tomorrow afternoon or evening, PM me and I will look them up for you, in both Krause and Spink.

(Edit: ugh. It already IS tomorrow. Bedtime for me.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I think the 1787 is a sixpence (hard to tell between that and the 1s), it looks cleaned and I'd grade it Fine at best. In Australia it would fetch $20-30 of our dollars, no idea what it would get in the States.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    As LordM says they have all unfortunately been harshly cleaned.

The first one I would say is a 1694 farthing, but the 4 is weak. You can tell it is different from the 1. It has been cleaned and has a bit of pitting to the right of Britannia's shield.

It has Unbarred A's in MARIA which would make it the rarer variety worth 2x more than the normal one in lower grade according to Spink.

It also seems to have unbarred A's in BRITANNIA which according to Coin year book 2007 lists this type as Extremely Rare.
    Spink I think lists this type as £125 in fine.

The cleaning and pitting will affect the value though.

Here's a similar one:
    http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=124708&AucID=103&Lot=365

• Options
    I still like the GIII.

At a reasonable price I would have it.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    The 1816 I think is a 6 Pence and the KM#665, 2.8276 g. , 0.9250 Silver , .0841 oz. ASW ,
    F- $10.00 VF- $15.00 XF- $50.00 UNC- $75.00
    I don't have the earlier Krause books, hope this helps. I like the look of this piece , but what's going on with the neck area.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tossed em on ebay. link in BST.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's his link, so you don't have to dig on BST. It was sinking fast.

Really, they should be linked in the Weekly Swap thread, but nobody can accuse you of spamming since I just did it for you. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.