Home Sports Talk
Options

Go Nittany Lions!

Assuming they can hold on, where are they ranked after this weekend's games?

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice win tonight.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    nice win against the big #22 in the nation....whats next #21?

JS
  • Options
    Penn State has been handily winning every game they've played - you can't ask for more than that.
  • Options

<< <i>nice win against the big #22 in the nation....whats next #21?

JS >>

Colorado isn't ranked you bum.

Go Nits! (my dad's a PSU fan)

PS: Navy put up 21 more points on Wake Forest today than FSU did last week, in route to victory.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Play somebody!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with handily beating a #22 ranked team - That's not chopped liver.
  • Options
    Penn State has beat:

Coastal Carolina 3 wins 1 loss (FBS team)
    Oregon State 2 wins 2 losses
    Syracuse 1 win 3 losses
    Temple 1 win 3 losses
    Illinois 2 wins 1 loss

<Note>: 4 of the 5 have been at home.

Let’s see what happens when they make their trips to Madison and Columbus.
    Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>nice win against the big #22 in the nation....whats next #21?

JS >>

Colorado isn't ranked you bum.

PS: Navy put up 21 more points on Wake Forest today than FSU did last week, in route to victory. >>

LOL
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Penn State has beat:

Coastal Carolina 3 wins 1 loss (FBS team)
    Oregon State 2 wins 2 losses
    Syracuse 1 win 3 losses
    Temple 1 win 3 losses
    Illinois 2 wins 1 loss

<Note>: 4 of the 5 have been at home.

Let’s see what happens when they make their trips to Madison and Columbus. >>

They beat Oregon State 45-14, who just beat USC and they beat Illinois who hung with undefeated Missouri earlier this year. Every team plays creampuffs early in the year, at least Penn St. played two pretty good teams already.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    It's a long season but so far PSU has dominated and looks every bit a power to be reckoned with. If ( and its a big if ) JoePa can keep the rest of his team out of jail and doesn't have to boot any more players then they could easily win the Big Ten and play in a major bowl. No one else in the Big Ten looks intimidating.
  • Options
    Congrats to Penn State fans. Your team is playing great football.... good luck!

ROLL TIDE! image
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Assuming they can hold on, where are they ranked after this weekend's games? >>

Moved up to #6 in both AP and Coaches Poll.

Plenty of room for improvement - Defense looked a little suspect last night. Offense is fumbling the ball to much.

They difinitely have the talent to beat anyone in the country at home....the last few years have not been kind to them on the road though
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I was watching a different game than the rest of you. I did not see Penn State dominate the game, I saw Illinois mistakes that cost them a shot at winning.

While I admire the Penn State offensive creativity and the fact that they did play well, I don't think it is fair to say they dominated the game when Illinois missed a field goal, had two turnovers at key points in the game and perhaps the most important, penalized yards at other key moments that helped Penn State with field position. Unfortunately, Illinois was it's own worst enemy... you can't win making stupid mistakes in Happy Valley and expect to win. Penn State deserved to win, but claiming they dominated the game just does not pass the straight face test.

Penn State could finish unbeaten this year... however as I like to remind the Penn State fans that thought they would mop up in the Big Ten, Northwestern has won more Football Championships in the confernce since Penn State joined.

I while I am not a Penn State fan, Joe Paterno is a class act and deserves the respect of everyone that has any interest in College Football. He is legend and I can not say enough positive things about him as coach, as mentor and perhaps most importantly, as a human being.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I guess I was watching a different game than the rest of you. I did not see Penn State dominate the game, I saw Illinois mistakes that cost them a shot at winning.

While I admire the Penn State offensive creativity and the fact that they did play well, I don't think it is fair to say they dominated the game when Illinois missed a field goal, had two turnovers at key points in the game and perhaps the most important, penalized yards at other key moments that helped Penn State with field position. Unfortunately, Illinois was it's own worst enemy... you can't win making stupid mistakes in Happy Valley and expect to win. Penn State deserved to win, but claiming they dominated the game just does not pass the straight face test.

Penn State could finish unbeaten this year... however as I like to remind the Penn State fans that thought they would mop up in the Big Ten, Northwestern has won more Football Championships in the confernce since Penn State joined.

I while I am not a Penn State fan, Joe Paterno is a class act and deserves the respect of everyone that has any interest in College Football. He is legend and I can not say enough positive things about him as coach, as mentor and perhaps most importantly, as a human being. >>

Part of being a good football team is NOT making mistakes, and capitalizing on the other team's mistakes...and of course forcing turnovers.

And I've heard no Penn State fan "declare" yet that we will be the national champion...not yet anyway. But for anyone to to say that Penn State isn't in the hunt and that Penn State doesn't have an opportunity to be the national champion simply wouldn't be accurate.
  • Options
    Steve.

I agree with you on this. What other team in the top 25 has dominated the teams they played and scored as many points as PSU. They have to remember that unlike some schools that like to run up the score and keep their first string in the whole game, PSU does not. Can you imagine what the scores of the first 4 games would have been had they done that and kept their passing game? What other team in the top 25 can say that.image
  • Options
    SteveK:

I think Penn State is in the hunt, but at a very different level... I think they are the outsiders that have something to prove to be in the championship game. I just think they have to finish the season unbeaten to be in the championship game. Can they do that? The answer is yes. Are they currently overrated at 6th? The answer is yes.

The Penn State offense is actually exciting to watch for the first time since their Rosebowl appearance against Oregon. If that sounds harsh, I am just writing it the way I see it. Their defense needs to improve. However, if their offense can continue to play the way they have, they can beat Ohio State and everyone else in the conference.

• Options

<< <i>I think Penn State is in the hunt, but at a very different level... I think they are the outsiders that have something to prove to be in the championship game. I just think they have to finish the season unbeaten to be in the championship game. Can they do that? The answer is yes. Are they currently overrated at 6th? The answer is yes.

The Penn State offense is actually exciting to watch for the first time since their Rosebowl appearance against Oregon. If that sounds harsh, I am just writing it the way I see it. Their defense needs to improve. However, if their offense can continue to play the way they have, they can beat Ohio State and everyone else in the conference. >>

You can say they haven't played anybody yet but that argument doesn't hold any water when you look at points scored. We can go game by game with any of the top 25 teams and I'd like anybody to show me which team has dominated in points scored as PSU. All of the top 25 teams have played unranked teams and non of them achieved the results PSU has and some of the so-called big teams barely won against their unranked teams.image

PSU will always have to prove themselves by going undefeated and the other teams like USC and Florida do not. Too bad we couldn't play for the National Championship in 1994 even though we were best team in nation that year. (12-0). Guess even going undefeated doesn't guarantee a chance at Championship. So much for fair playing field.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the perception is the Big Ten is down this year so even if Penn State finishes unbeaten, it will not be considered the accomplishment of Alabama , LSU or Missouri or Oklahoma even if any of those teams loose a game. I am not saying it is fair, that seems to be the way it is.

The 1994 Penn State was terrific and deserved a share of the National Championship. I don't think the BCS game system was around in those days. If it had Penn State would have been in the title game.

Based upon the events of last season combined with what we have seen so far this season, it be best to not have a preseason poll and polling should not commence until the 6th week of the season... lets make the ranked teams earn their position and the only way to do that is based upon a record that includes some conference games. Is this fair? Perhaps still falls short, but it would be a significant improvement of the hype and nonsense that transpires with the sports writers, ESPN and talking heads