Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Question regarding grading on '70 & '71 Kellogg's

I came across a large lot of 1970 & 1971 Kellogg's cards today, both Football and Baseball in their original packaging. Once home I opened them all to find that although they are all gems (no cracks, perfect corners surface and edges) but alas they all have some mild "warping". According to VCP many of the '71's are variations with very high values especially in 10 condition. I would like to send them to PSA for grading and then ultimately off to auction.
Questions are...

(1) If, by inspection by PSA, they appear to be all Mint or Gem Mint how will the "warping" affect their grades?

(2) Would it be detrimental to the cards to place them in penny sleeves & CS 1's and then put them under some light weight to leven out the cards.

OR

(3) The "warping" makes no difference, if all of the requirements are met relative to the grade making it a 9 or 10, then that is the grade that will be assigned.

Any help from you veterans would be greatfully beneficial.
I NEED HANKS!!!

Comments

• Options
    Howdy.. Sounds like you found some interesting cards!! The '71 kelloggs cards will bring some big interest from a few board members and collectors on ebay.. Here's a few tips!
    1. Don't put them under any weight to try and straighten them!! They will crack for sure.. the plastic on the '71's can get brittle and crack easily! I've tried that and they all cracked!
    2. If you put them in card saver 1's some will crack and some will make it to psa without cracks... however.... some will crack once they get into the psa holder!!! It's happened to me a time or two..
    3. Now for the good news! I'm going to Private Message you a method I used on my last batch of curved kelloggs cards that straightened out a bunch with NONE cracking...

Paul
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    Not sharing the secret??
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know as well??
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    GOOD LUCK. You have Master Yoda(glossycrazy) helping you but depending on the amount of curving it's almost certain some will crack.image
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    I heard Paul can bend spoons with just his mind, so un-warping a Kellogg's card should be a piece a cake!

BTW, I have a bunch of Kellogg's football cards up on eBay right now that will probably sell for close to the fee it would cost you to grade raw ones. A lot of under graded 9's and some 10's ... from a few years ago when I got body slammed on a submission of Minty ones I sent in.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    You 'da man Paul!!! After only one "treatment", I am seeing a relaxing in one of the lower valued '71's. I'll let you know at the end of one week after all of the treatments were completed, and yes I will follow your request once these are slabbed...again thank you VERY MUCH!!!

Bradley
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • Options
    Glad to help! I hope everything turns out for the good!
    Paul
  • Options
    " After only one "treatment", I am seeing a relaxing in one of the lower valued '71's"

Man the FORCE is strong in that glossycrazy guy. image
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.
  • Options
    Indeed it is, young apprentice...I guess that the word treatment may sound scary...poor verbiage on my part.
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • Options
    I think I posted something to this effect 5 or 6 years ago, but the thing that always worked for me was to put the cards in direct sunlight for about a half hour during the summer and about 45 minutes during the winter. The sunlight gently warms up the card and lets the plastic "relax". After that, I'd place the cards in a thick book for a couple of days. Worked like a charm each time. The only time a card got cracked was if it was especially brittle to begin with or if it was hopelessly curled.
  • Options
    If the warping is 'mild' then I would be hesitant to mess with any 'treatments.' However, if there is significant curl, these strategies are worth employing. I don't think I have ever seen a card come out of its original paper wrapper with significant curling. Those always seem to be in pretty good shape unless they are cracked. I still have nightmares about a Wayne Simpson card that...... well, you don't want to hear about it.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    OOOOO....Wayne Simpson problem? That's a toughie as I'm seeing. I have a method too and in fact was quoted in Tough Stuff several years ago. First thing is NOT to get heavy curled cards. Out of the pack shouldn't be a problem.