Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Birds on Coins - 2007 Belarus 1 Rouble - Thrush Nightingale - Photos Inside

My 2007 proof Cu-Ni Belarus 1 Rouble arrived the other day (from Portugal) and I just got done photographing it.
I think it's an absolutely lovely coin. Hope you enjoy!

Original Thread

Comments

• Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Wow! That is a lovely coin. Great design. I'll have to start looking for one of those myself.
  • Options
    Very nice coin and photo.
  • Options
    There's some amazing detail in the feathers. It's a lovely coin, congrats.
  • Options
    The currency of Belarus is actually called the Rubel,which is derived from 'Rouble'.The Rubel's subdivision,the Kapeek,is derived from 'Kopeck'.

I'm not aware of Belarus issuing coins for circulation,but they do have a very extensive series of medal-coins though.

Aidan.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

I see that now - I had looked up "Belarusian Rouble" on wikipedia and it redirected me to "Belarusian Ruble" without me noticing.

On the other hand, on the website of the National Bank of the Republic of Belarus, I've noticed them spelling it both ways at least on one occasion:

Silver, Alloy standard of silver: 925
    Nominal: 10 rubles
    Weight of coin: 16.81 g
    Fine silver content: 15.5 g
    Quality: "proof"

Sale price:
    · without box – 34 660 rubles
    Diameter: 32 mm
    Mintage: 5000 pcs.

Obverse: at the top – the relief of the State Coat of Arms of the Republic of Belarus; in the center – an image of small bird in palms, beneath – the year of issue, fine silver alloy standard, inscriptions along the rim: in the top part – " РЭСПУБЛІКА Беларусь " (REPUBLIC OF BELARUS), at the bottom – "10 РУБЛЁЎ" (10 ROUBLES) – on silver coin and "1 РУБЕЛЬ" (1 ROUBLE) – on copper–nickel coin.

Really, although they prefer a certain English spelling, what we're really doing is anglicizing the original slavic language (Belarusian or Russian), so 'Rouble' or 'Ruble', we're just approximating the sounds in their language with the sounds in ours. The Belarusians could just as easily change their preferred English spelling in the future. For example, we used to call the capital of China "Peking" and now it's "Beijing" - both of which are pronounced very similarly.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tweet, tweet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.